• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Are Anime Fans Obsessed with Steven Universe?

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
The show is amazing and one of my favorite cartoons that is on or been on for a number of years. Regular Show just beats out Steven Universe for my favorite CN cartoon because I am an 80's-90's kid and Regular Show speaks to me. Yet Steven Universe is amazing and it has only gotten better as the show has gone along.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to give a quick thank you to Hope for taking the time to find these and it was a pretty great writeup. I noticed the Utena and Akira stuff but some of these references flew right over my head Laughing

Steven Universe's anime influences aren't quite as visually blatant as Avatar's were but it's still pretty clear to see how much it takes from them. Though if Avatar is the western equivalent of a action-adventure shonen, this series is pretty much a straight up inverted magical girl anime at this point. Of course it certainly does plenty of it's own thing and it's evolved to become pretty much my favorite thing on television. If you haven't checked it out yet, and you're a fan of magical girl or shojo stuff, it's probably worth your while.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
I have not watched Steven universe a day in my life but I have heard about it from everyone and quite honestly I thought it was not even worth it so to see all the screen caps of it parodying a whole bunch of anime is new to me so this was a good little shock that they care so much about anime and what the culture means to fans of the medium. So I guess I can take a look at it soonish but I'll reserve judgement until I watch the whole thing later this year. But as I said before not bad, not bad at all.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As the world's first magical boy of his kind...

He's hardly the first magical boy out there. Tuxedo Mask, Syaoran (CCS version), the guys in Shugo Chara!, Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE!...
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Season 1 of Steven Universe on Hulu last week, just to find out what all the hub-bub is about.

And good grief if this show isn't absolutely amazing. The wait for Season 2 to become available on Streaming is going to be torturous.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Quote:
As the world's first magical boy of his kind...

He's hardly the first magical boy out there. Tuxedo Mask, Syaoran (CCS version), the guys in Shugo Chara!, Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE!...

I think this is referring to the sentence before where is the first half-human/half-gem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

In the context of the series itself, the gems are a single gender alien race that all identify with feminine pronouns (also all voiced by women too). So Steven is the first male gem in existence. I believe that's what Ms. Chapman meant by first magical boy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
I wasn't into the show at first (seemed too stupid) but I liked the concept. But I gave it a try after the initial first few episodes and kept watching ever since. I love how serious and intense it can get. It's really amazing. The only show on CN I watch.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
Looking at that picture of the gems and the canon. Seems more of a Super Sentai/Power rangers hold the super weapon while it fires thing. If they were ghosts then it be a sailor moon ref.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
I..............didn't realize they were. Shocked

I was under the impression most sober anime fans watch anime to get AWAY from domestic Cartoon Network cartoons.

(As for for Cosplay, you'll see just as many Adventure Time costumes...Okay, form your theories about that one.)
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it did explode during the spring, but the spring is when it started to really, really good...

There's a webcomic called Fandumb on Deviantart, one of the comics was about this show and how one of the characters didn't get into it because the first few episode didn't get him hooked...

It was the same for me... then I deicide to binge watch some episodes...

So of course this led me to write a Steven Universe centered anime crossover...

Which is saying something as I only now started a Gravity Falls story...
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Please don't include me in that group.

Saw like 5 episodes then completely forgot. See random scenes every now and then when channel surfing. It's just not that great in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Is there boisterous social commentary or is that just me?
Washougal_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
To be honest, some of these examples are a bit far-fetched. I think many anime fans that like Steven Universe feel the way they do simply because it's different than most other American cartoons. Sure, there's parodies, whoopdy-doo; I seriously doubt that most fans caught them, or were aware of what the references were.

I would also like to point out that not all anime fans like Steven Universe. Personally, I hate the show. Nothing about it is appealing to me. I would put it in the same "Made from garbage" category as Regular Show, Adventure Time, and SpongeBob.

Give me a real show that's actually worthy of my time, because this isn't it.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

I think this is referring to the sentence before where is the first half-human/half-gem.

He's also the only male gem as a result of being half-human, so in-universe he is LITERALLY the first magical boy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20