• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: EDM Fan? Now is the Perfect Time to Visit Tokyo!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Not just the Shinjuku Gyoen closed on Mondays, most museums and galleries are closed on a Monday (unless Monday is a public holiday, in which case they'll be open on Monday and closed on Tuesday).

Exceptions include the Miraikan in Odaiba (closed Tuesdays), and the National Art Center Roppongi.

If flying back via Narita airport on a Monday evening, why not leave your bags in large lockers at Narita town station, and do a circuit on the trains including Chosi?

samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
So funny story about ULTRA Japan... last year I'm heading home from Odaiba (I live pretty close) and I hear some damn funky beats wafting over from behind Diver City, and I head over to one of the bridge overpasses where there is a pretty sweet view of a gigantic, pulsing, strobing stage...
I kind of stood there for about 45 minutes watching the rest of the set Smile

Maybe I'll see if there are tickets left for next weekend. Or maybe I'll just "wander nearby" again, heh...

Edit: Oh, absolutely all tickets are sold out. Well nice timing on the advertorial then.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
So what exactly is the point of going all the way to Tokyo for this when that lineup is pretty much the same at every other "EDM" festival? Bit of an ask to have to go all the way to Japan to watch boring white guys pretending to press play on their CDJs.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
Regarding the Ghibli Museum, by "advance" they mean at least a month in advance, two if it's a busy season.

I just recently left Japan and am unable to visit anytime other than the summer, but I would love to attend this party. Don't forget about the Magical Mirai event (which just concluded this weekend) as reasons to be in Japan now, I know I'm not the only Vocaloid fan who is also into techno and electronica.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Bit of an ask to have to go all the way to Japan to watch boring white guys pretending to press play on their CDJs.

I shall admit that I see little appeal in sitting in the dark, being unable to hear anyone as you repeatedly count to eight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
What no tours to Demon City Shinjuku.
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
i guess i am an "EDM" fan (more of a fan of trance/prog.house/prog trance/uplifting trance). But im curious if there are any shows that have concerts of Japan's own electronic-genre musicians commonly found in comiket/M3 dojin music scene? Artists like Lawy of Unitone, Satella, Alinut, Nago, Nhato, Ryo Nakamura, Aran to name a few.
NishizawaMihashi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey there guys! So I read the ad and all and it reminded me that I've been meaning to ask people about this. So like, if it's ok could you guys tell me more about --or at least post links- electronic music in general? I've been trying to dig up more info about the various artists, genres, music fests and the actual history and production techniques of electronic music but the most I know is about the early days, some aspects of a few sub-genres and some of the pioneers. I mean, I know a few artists but no more than 20~25 I believe. It'd be great if you guys could help me out on this, also it'd be great if you could point out to some of the sub-cultural aspects of electronic music like more info on the rave dances that are a part of it.

So like yeah, anyone? Sad
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I attended M3 in April 2015 and had the very humbling experience of meeting Eiko Shimamiya. I can recommend such events but it pays to buy the programme early and mark out which stands you wish to visit.

On again 30th October 2016:

[url]http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_%28同人%29[/url]
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
NishizawaMihashi wrote:
Hey there guys! So I read the ad and all and it reminded me that I've been meaning to ask people about this. So like, if it's ok could you guys tell me more about --or at least post links- electronic music in general? I've been trying to dig up more info about the various artists, genres, music fests and the actual history and production techniques of electronic music but the most I know is about the early days, some aspects of a few sub-genres and some of the pioneers. I mean, I know a few artists but no more than 20~25 I believe. It'd be great if you guys could help me out on this, also it'd be great if you could point out to some of the sub-cultural aspects of electronic music like more info on the rave dances that are a part of it.

So like yeah, anyone? Sad

Id be willing to share what i know in terms of the music but i am an old casual listener so i doubt i can help, and i have kinda not paid attention to the general scene since 2011 which is where i felt the music in general started becoming "EDM" as Electro and Skrillex-Dubstep starting to influence the scene and where other artists started to go into a more mainstream feel of having their songs be more like pop music you hear on the radio.

If you are looking into EDM do know its a blanket term and covers genres like : Trance, House, Electro, Dubstep and (funnily EDM is an actual genre) and each of them have other sub-genres. However, i do not know what genres the DJs at ULTRA are going to play, but i suspect its going to be the EDM genre of music, the one with the wubs, and screeches.

I know alot of famous DJs or artists have their own labels like Armada music, Anjunabeats mau5trap which have artists that are in the EDM (the blanket term) scene. If you want a list of music festivals, wiki has it covered, as for the actual history and evolution of music its alot harder, but there is a clear difference in sound between in the music produced today and stuff made in the past (90s, 2000s~2010s). Today's scene (2011~2016) has definitely a new sound since Skrillex (Dubstep), Guetta (EDM) and Avicii (EDM) got into the spotlight.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
@NishizawaMihashi, there's lots of online resources out there for electronic music. Some popular ones:

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/in-depth/2012/04/introduction-to-electronic-dance-music-breaking-down-the-genres (only covers a few genres, like trance and dubstep, but up to date and has music clips)

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ (aka Ishkur's guide to electronic music. This is very comprehensive but it's also really messy to navigate. It's pretty well-known and it's been around for awhile.)

http://earthlymission.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Electronic_Music_Guide_picture_151014.jpg (This is really a chart/diagram and not really a guide but it lists a lot of genres. There's no descriptions but the chart does give representative artists for each genre.)

For books:

-Energy Flash by Simon Reynolds. This book is a classic. It was written in the 90's and it covers many of the most influential artists from back in the day. It discusses a little bit about production techniques but nothing technical. The author does spends too many pages writing about drugs but it's still a great read. Since the book is so old now, it's probably only relevant as a historical account. (Avoid Generation Ectasy, it's an edited version with removed content that was made for the US market.)

-The Underground is Massive by Michaelangelo Matos. I actually haven't read this one yet but I've heard a lot of praise for it. It's also a historical account of the beginnings of the EDM scene but compared to Energy Flash, this book focuses more on the scene in America than in Europe. Another plus is that this book is up-to-date since it was published last year so it covers dubstep and more current artists like Deadmau5 and Skrillex.

I don't know as much for links or references about rave culture. When I was in college, I did read a little bit of a book called Technomad: Global Raving Countercultures by Graham St John. It's a look at rave culture by an anthropologist who explores the spiritual and sociological aspects. Since it's written by an academic, it can get dense, but I remember it was an interesting read.

@NormanS, I'm also curious if there's any electronic music shows in Japan that feature only local (Japanese) artists. Japan has a big electronic music scene and it's strange to think they wouldn't have one just for Japanese artists.

By the way, I'm also another old listener. I still prefer the term electronic music over EDM. I feel EDM refers to a specfic type of music, whereas electronic music in general covers everything (plus, we already have IDM, it's confusing Smile . It's like how back in the 90s and early 2000s everyone used "techno" as a blanket term, except now it's EDM.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

@NormanS, I'm also curious if there's any electronic music shows in Japan that feature only local (Japanese) artists. Japan has a big electronic music scene and it's strange to think they wouldn't have one just for Japanese artists.

Afaik the big festivals are Sonic (mainly rock but also either has a sister festival or a separate stage for dance music, I'm not sure); Ultra (the one being advertised here); & Labyrinth (the "smart" one). None of them seem to have an especially big presence of local artists. I think Japan's festivals have the same problem they do in most countries: there's a global elite of artists that have the name recognition to sell tickets just by being on the billing, & everyone wants them for their event because they think it makes them look better. Hence why there's not many locals & almost no women. Ultra has a lot of "regional" artists that includes plenty of Japanese names, but the very fact they're labelled as "regional" should let you know how high up the billing they are.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
By the way, I'm also another old listener. I still prefer the term electronic music over EDM. I feel EDM refers to a specfic type of music, whereas electronic music in general covers everything (plus, we already have IDM, it's confusing Smile . It's like how back in the 90s and early 2000s everyone used "techno" as a blanket term, except now it's EDM.

Yeah, there's a very big, implicit difference between how "Electronic Music" and "EDM" are used.

EDM basically refers to DJ music, including Dubstep.

EDM artists include Skrillex, Daft Punk, Calvin Harris, DJ Jonathan (Japanese DJ), Steve Aoki, Deadmau5, Tiesto, etc.. and everyone else on this list: http://djmag.com/top100dj

I don't think "EDM" explicitly refers to DJ music, but right now I can't think of a single EDM artist that isn't a DJ. Mind you, the DJs often collaborate with other artists for vocals. But outside of their work with DJs, those vocalists aren't usually considered EDM artists. Nicky Minaj, Sia & Ellie Goulding for example.

It's all shades of grey. One person would consider trance to be EDM, whereas I wouldn't. But Trance is obviously type of Electronica/Electronic Music. Likewise for House (notice I included Daft Punk in my list above). Ultra features several House DJs.

FWIW, I'll be at Ultra Japan. Second year running. Leaving for Tokyo in the morning.

Edit: Norman S kinda hit it on the head. Within the blanket term of EDM, there's also the EDM genre, which is very influenced by other styles that fall under the blanket. His example of David Guetta is perfect.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
EDM is what middle aged American marketing executives call dance music.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
So funny story about ULTRA Japan...

(Sorry, every time someone starts with "funny story" now I'm ALWAYS reminded of Shirobako)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2