• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Why Are There So Many Isekai/Parallel World Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
As long as we keep getting awesome stories like shield hero and NGNL I'm not complaining.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Re:Zero also. Surprised there is a comments section on this ad, usually there isn't.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel the "SAO epidemic" unfortunately is not limited to just Isekai. There are three regions SAO populated and caused dozens of companies to try and follow suit: The Isekai landscape, the Trapped-In-A-Game landscape, and the one that hasn't been mentioned - the Magical High School landscape. SAO features high school centric moments in its season 1 finale, Extra Edition movie, and a few of the Season 2 episodes, but all of SAO's tropes have begun to infest the genre. Instead of learning from popular shows with a similar feel, such as Soul Eater, most companies are trying to cash in on being SAO tonal clones, such as The Asterisk War and Absolute Duo. And this is a problem, since SAO has very poor quality to begin with, so cloning it only results in worst shows. If you really want to succeed, you need to find a way to take the concept and parody (Konosuba), deconstruct (Re:Zero) or perfect (Log Horizon) said concept, not replicate it.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Re:Zero also. Surprised there is a comments section on this ad, usually there isn't.

I'm more surprised on how much sponsored content ANN has these days, and its increasing Sad
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I'm more surprised on how much sponsored content ANN has these days, and its increasing Sad

Nothing wrong with that. They are clearly labeled, anime themed, and have a anime picture. So they are not an eyesore. Hopefully the increased funding, allows ANN to do other stuff.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I feel the "SAO epidemic" unfortunately is not limited to just Isekai. There are three regions SAO populated and caused dozens of companies to try and follow suit: The Isekai landscape, the Trapped-In-A-Game landscape, and the one that hasn't been mentioned - the Magical High School landscape. SAO features high school centric moments in its season 1 finale, Extra Edition movie, and a few of the Season 2 episodes, but all of SAO's tropes have begun to infest the genre. Instead of learning from popular shows with a similar feel, such as Soul Eater, most companies are trying to cash in on being SAO tonal clones, such as The Asterisk War and Absolute Duo. And this is a problem, since SAO has very poor quality to begin with, so cloning it only results in worst shows. If you really want to succeed, you need to find a way to take the concept and parody (Konosuba), deconstruct (Re:Zero) or perfect (Log Horizon) said concept, not replicate it.

The reason they try to clone SAO is because how good and popular it is.
For example is #3 in popularity in MAL. And is even bigger in Japan. #3 in LN Sales that is a number more precise than MAL popularity. Yes there is a very vocal minority of people that hate it (like in many popular things there are always hate) but most people love it, even if some parts where not that good, even unnecessary, like the Fairy Dance arc.

You chose some of the worse examples. Asterisk War and Absolute Duo have noting to do with SAO expect they are battle LN's.They are not Isekai. The SAO high-school parts that you refer are in a normal high-school, no magic involved.
And also what does Soul Eater have to do with SAO?
Soul Eater is a manga aimed to a younger audience than SAO novels. They also have noting in common in therms of plot.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure that amgical school was inspired by harry potter and not sao, sao does not even ahs a clear magic school arc per se. this is ignoring how much I disliek the magica school setting (not much, but in isekai/webnovels it tends to be the lowest point of a series)
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to put this out...

I'm of the ancient AD&D generation, and what computer games I played were 16-bit at best, sold on 3.5" floppies (SSI, anyone? Bueller?) That being said, I find myself very surprised--and delighted!--that I can not only follow but thoroughly enjoy shows like No Game, No Life and Accel World. Waiting now for Konosuba and Gate to be released on Blu-ray.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Rayearth was my first isekai. I've always had a fondness for the genre. Who wouldn't want to be sucked into a fantasyland? It's certainly more interesting than Earth.

-Stuart Smith
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Aww, no mention of Twelve Kingdoms in the advertorial. That's one of the very few isekai shows that I really like (though I prefer the book series more) due to the amount of detail involved in all the world-building that is done. Log Horizon was also another isekai show that I enjoyed as it made heavy use of the MMO-esque world by dealing more with the politics and government than its contemporaries.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or were there no pictures (in any direction) in that advertorial? Did this originally run somewhere else?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is it just me or were there no pictures (in any direction) in that advertorial? Did this originally run somewhere else?

Adblock ?
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
I'm personally quite sick of the 'stuck in an MMO/JRPG' idea. I know there are a few examples that brought something new to the table, but more often than not they don't -- and even worse, they don't feel like people that got stuck in a videogame, but rather concepts or cliches that did. That was probably my biggest complaint with shows like Log Horizon and SAO (though SAO had more problems than that), but none of the people in it acted like real people but rather personality tropes. Even worse is when the characters are clearly self-inserts.

...But now that someone's gone and mention AD&D, suddenly I really want an anime about a bunch of characters that get stuck in a DnD campaign -- where they're not bound to the rules of the game and trying to break it, but rather having fun DnD-levels of both ingenious and stupidity in solving problems.
DanQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote
No mention of .hack//whatever series? Sad Y_Y.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
I'm personally quite sick of the 'stuck in an MMO/JRPG' idea. I know there are a few examples that brought something new to the table, but more often than not they don't -- and even worse, they don't feel like people that got stuck in a videogame, but rather concepts or cliches that did.

This is true for any genre tho. You get a pile of garbage with a lone few standouts that you have too meticulously search for. Nothing to be surprised about or sick of really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2