• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsume's Book of Friends (TV 3).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Natsume's Book of Friends (TV 3)

Genres: slice of life, supernatural
Themes: spirits, youkai

Plot Summary: Takashi Natsume sees spirits, and with the help of his lazy and sake-guzzling bodyguard Nyanko-sensei he returns to spirits their names that were stolen by his grandmother Reiko Natsume. Not all of the spirits are peaceful though, and he often fights to keep himself and his family and friends safe while at the same time fighting the loneliness that plagued him before he found his home.
----------------------------------

How it comes that's no topic about that?

I'm glad to see good old friends again. Boy with sensitive sight and his beloved kitty are still doing their best. I wonder how far will they go from episodic formula. For me they could just do another 12 episodes in the same manner.

[EDIT: Added the Encyc. info for you. -TK]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Could care less if the same episodic plot formula is intact. I'm a sap for these kinds of anime as they have slower pacing and a mellow mood to take in the various stories that a character like Natsume comes across. I've noticed that the visual quality for this third season is up a notch from the first two seasons with more defined details and brighter color which is a plus. Definitely planning to stick with this third season of Natsume's Book of Friends for the Summer 2011 season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I just re-watched the first two seasons recently and I was wondering if it was just me or if the show really did look a little bit better here. And wow, the episodes that deal with Reiko's backstory just really get to me, also make me happy that Natsume does have friends since he would've been just like her otherwise.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CR has the first two seasons of Natsume Yujincho for anyone interested in catching up with this one, like myself. I've only seen the first 6 episodes but I love it so far.
batou37

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm also quite happy for it to be back. Although it is a small thing, I was a bit worried that they might go away from the music they use in transitioning during the anime's different major scenes, so I'm glad to see that still intact. I've always been a fan of Natsume's music (it's the only thing I ever imported...think it ended up being about $65 for the cd.) I agree that the episodes with Reiko are some of the most touching (even if it is not direct backstory on her, like the one with the youkai kid who wanted to see the sea in the previous season got to me too)
Metaflux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying the first season ATM
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite anime series, so I'm very happy that it has gotten a third season. I just finished watching the first episode and it seems like this season will retain the same charm that the past two had. So beautiful!
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
I’m glad to see Natsume and Nyanko again. The first episode of this season has reminded me that Madara can be incredibly sweet.

The episodic nature of the story originates from the manga, so I doubt it will change.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
ep. 30 or S3 ep.4... depending on how you count it.

the show has a lot of touching moments but I think this episode really got the emotion through especially well. You really felt for the lonely Youkai this time, and for Natsume too. You just couldn't help but feel a little heartache spoiler[when she went up to that second boy as the cat and had the rock thrown at her.] And of course the moment at the end when spoiler[she floats down and hugs him.] A supremely sweet moment. That youkai is just about as precious as the orphaned fox spirit, which is quite a feat when you consider this one didn't have the advantage of being a kawaii little orphan kid in a sun hat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see that even now almost every episode gives me tearful eyes. The story is really nothing original for the most part, but there's something about it... dunno if the characters are extremely likable (personality, voice, looks), or if the writing/directing is pretty good... might be all of it.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Loved yesterday's episode. I generally find the series fairly touching, but yesterday was probably the most it has ever gotten to me. It was great seeing an episode mostly focused on Natsume's past, really getting to see the crap he went through as child.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
As much as I enjoyed the episode, I actually think the "crappy childhood" stuff is being played incredibly heavy-handedly. There's nothing more obnoxious than being told to feel sorry for someone.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few series I prefer in anime form to the original manga. I think the episodic nature of it works much better in anime form. It's good to have it back, and each episode never fails to make me smile. It's nice to see some backstory appearing, as well.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
cool series, but um lets be truthful. It is a boring show. Boring good. A paradox...whatever.

It's a lax show yet the anime is all about morals.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
I had forgot they were releasing a 3rd season. thanks for the reminder. The first two season were good and served as a good get away from the norm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2