• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Blame! Manga Adapting Upcoming Film Debuts on April 26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
What is the point of this exactly?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:

The same reason that practically everything gets a manga adaptation. They're cheap, and far more accessible to consumers than Japan's inherently expensive anime home video market. The manga market is far larger than the anime market in Japan, and not everyone that reads a manga (or a novel) will necessarily watch it's anime adaptations. In other words, it'll make plenty of money as a low-cost alternative to owning the pricey Blu-ray. The same logic can be applied to movie novelizations, which this movie is also getting.

They're just tapping different markets to get the widest reach among consumers, which will no doubt make them more money.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:

I imagine the film is going to diverge significantly from the source material. In which case it makes some sort of sense.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:

The same reason that practically everything gets a manga adaptation. They're cheap, and far more accessible to consumers than Japan's inherently expensive anime home video market. The manga market is far larger than the anime market in Japan, and not everyone that reads a manga (or a novel) will necessarily watch it's anime adaptations. In other words, it'll make plenty of money as a low-cost alternative to owning the pricey Blu-ray. The same logic can be applied to movie novelizations, which this movie is also getting.

They're just tapping different markets to get the widest reach among consumers, which will no doubt make them more money.

That makes a lot of sense, but it still perplexes me how its a manga adapting a movie that's adapting a manga. Unless the movie diverges from the source material (like Partially said) wouldn't it make more sense to buy the original manga?
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
That makes a lot of sense, but it still perplexes me how its a manga adapting a movie that's adapting a manga. Unless the movie diverges from the source material (like Partially said) wouldn't it make more sense to buy the original manga?

The film is an original screenplay Nihei wrote. It's telling a new story in the Blame! universe.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
Blame is classic cyberpunk stuff. Hope the movie does well and I will certainly watch it when I get the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1