• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Suu Morishita's A Sign of Affection Manga Gets TV Anime in January 2024

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:58 am Reply with quote
I've heard lots of good things about the manga, so I can't wait to watch the anime.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
Kinda expected a liiiitle bit more mature voice from a college student...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
It's one of the bestselling Shoujo manga and has sales figures comparable to something with an adaptation so this was a given. The team´s other manga aren´t as good but they got better series by series. Can this get more than 1 cour? That is the real question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eddy2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:00 am Reply with quote
Yooooooo another white-haired dude named Nagi??? No way…
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it. Sumire talked exactly once so far, if I remember correctly, and that scene is off-screened. She has an inner monologue of course which the studio decided to voice due to anime being an audio-visual medium. That will be the show´s biggest challenge outside of getting the constant sign language right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustMonika

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
I was planning on buying the manga because the premise seemed quite original so this is good news.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:00 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
It's one of the bestselling Shoujo manga and has sales figures comparable to something with an adaptation so this was a given. The team´s other manga aren´t as good but they got better series by series. Can this get more than 1 cour? That is the real question.

I also hope for the second season! Finally we will see normal shojo adaptation!
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
As happy as I am to see a deaf protagonist, I wish the manga itself was a little more scintillating. I don't need melodrama, but defusing every source of possible interpersonal conflict makes for a pretty dull read.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
At last~! I'm so excited for this! I was getting worried at the lack of shoujo announcements. What a way to start 2024. <3
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I am HYPED. I love the manga so I'm looking forward to what the anime adaptation will bring to the table.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote
One of the most sincere and heartwarming sweet romances finally getting an anime adaption! And it looks beautiful!

I'm hoping they can capture the signing well in anime form.
residentgrigo wrote:

I thought Shortcake Cake was pretty fun.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Short Cake Cake is a 6.5/10. Almost there and I bothered to finish it. Those 12 volumes could work as a 24-ep anime if the fat is trimmed. The manga had 25% needless icing at least and some of the side characters were barely developed despite the length. Others bordered on main characters. Really weird time allotment there and the manga´s half-cooked take on postpartum depression was weird. A bit like Fruits Basket´s infamous parent's flashbacks that raises more questions than anything due to how fast it blitzed through some pretty serious stuff that the story as is isn´t set up to handle.

A Sign of Affection´s one structural fault are Oushi´s later chapters. It would work if the manga commented on his shitty behavior as it is fully capable of social commentary, A Condition Called Love says hello, but nah. I would cut all that out and hand the time to Nagi´s friends to make their drama make sense. They are out of a different manga altogether! Everything with the protagonists, their families and Yuki´s best friend is really good and makes you wonder why this is a Shoujo magazine but I get that Josei doesn´t sell (or get anime). The manga goes from a near masterpiece 80% of the time to 90s to mid-00s Shoujo anime filler when it switches over. Sometimes mid-chapter! Imagine if the anime addressed that. A willingness to recognize faults with subplots, mostly during a potential S2, would lead to a better product.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I apologize to international fans, but I hope this is the MBS show that Sentai/HIDIVE get for Winter 2024.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1