Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Sells 500,000 Units in Japan 3 Weeks Faster Than PS4


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
Switch will save Japan and the rest of the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnimeLordLuis



Joined: 27 Jan 2015
Posts: 1626
Location: The Borderlands of Pandora
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Looks like Nintendo was right to bet on the Switch because it's really saving there ass in the video games department. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ParaChomp



Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 1018
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
That's good now have more games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
0nsen



Joined: 01 Nov 2014
Posts: 256
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote
Has it outsold the Wii U already? Because from the Wii U we already know how many Nintendrones are out there, buying everything with the name Nintendo on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1207
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Has it outsold the Wii U already? Because from the Wii U we already know how many Nintendrones are out there, buying everything with the name Nintendo on it.


Anytime Nintendo sells more than two copies of anything, someone starts whining. Because God forbid we celebrate the fact that an innovative video game console has succeeded in an uncertain market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
The portability of the Nintendo Switch must've been a big help to its launch sales, overtaking that of the PS4. Hopefully this raises the chance of it receiving more titles.

Edit: My sincere apologies, I misread. Thanks for the correction, SilverTalon.


Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8256
Location: IL
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Because God forbid we celebrate the fact that an innovative video game console has succeeded in an uncertain market.

Why would you say a console has succeeded in an uncertain market? Beating the PS4's initial launch in Japan isn't much of a measuring stick of success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Looks like Nintendo was right to bet on the Switch because it's really saving there ass in the video games department. Smile


Well, to be fair, the 3DS has been doing really well during the Wii U's lifespan and kept them out of bigger trouble.

Nintendo also had contingency plans in case the Switch didn't sell well. If sales were below or slower than what they had hoped, they would create a successor to the 3DS. If the Switch sold well (and so far, it looks like it is, in every region Nintendo has traditionally done well--so places like Brazil and Philippines don't count), they'd later release a smaller Switch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 6104
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'd be a little worried, actually. By all accounts, Nintendo should've steamrolled Sony. Slightly better isn't a good start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'd be a little worried, actually. By all accounts, Nintendo should've steamrolled Sony. Slightly better isn't a good start.


It's because they didn't manufacture that many Switches, at least as many as they did the Wii. That is, the Switch wound up being more popular than Nintendo's analysts estimated. The numbers around the world would be higher if there weren't shortage problems. The second run only just came out this week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heishi



Joined: 06 Mar 2016
Posts: 1217
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Has it outsold the Wii U already? Because from the Wii U we already know how many Nintendrones are out there, buying everything with the name Nintendo on it.


Nintendrone. How original. Rolling Eyes

I haven't even bought a Switch yet and will get one on my birthday or Christmas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 2277
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Why would you say a console has succeeded in an uncertain market? Beating the PS4's initial launch in Japan isn't much of a measuring stick of success.


Yeah, the phrasing in the article is kind of misleading. It makes it sound like the PS4 had a decent start in Japan, but it very much did not. If the Switch had actually failed to do better at launch, that would have been really bad for Nintendo though.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The portability of the Nintendo Switch must've been a big help to its sales overtaking that of the PS4. Hopefully this raises the chance of it receiving more titles.


Wait a second there... it didn't overtake the PS4. It just had a better launch than the PS4. Those aren't even close to the same thing.

I do think the portability is going to help it in Japan because even the Vita does well because of that. Overtaking the PS4 sounds questionable and it is far too early to be able to tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryw



Joined: 28 Aug 2003
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I do think the portability is going to help it in Japan because even the Vita does well because of that. Overtaking the PS4 sounds questionable and it is far too early to be able to tell.
Oh it's a very safe bet it'll overtake the PS4 in Japan. Overall would be questionable, but if it actually gets significant third party support (plus an exclusive non-spinoff Pokemon game(s?)) anything is possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryw wrote:
Oh it's a very safe bet it'll overtake the PS4 in Japan. Overall would be questionable, but if it actually gets significant third party support (plus an exclusive non-spinoff Pokemon game(s?)) anything is possible.


There's a good chance for that, as Game Freak trademarked the phrase "Pokémon Stars" as a game for the Switch. It'd follow the naming scheme of Pokémon Sun and Moon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3963
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Has it outsold the Wii U already? Because from the Wii U we already know how many Nintendrones are out there, buying everything with the name Nintendo on it.

I recently bought a cheap Wii U because I legitimately wanted to play several games released over its lifetime. Does that make me a "drone" too?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group