• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'your name.'s' Japanese BD/DVDs Include English Subtitles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Whoo hoo! Now, which to get, the Collector's Edition or the Special Edition...

Doesn't seem like it's yet available for pre-order on Amazon.

EDIT: Nm, found it on Amazon.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Tue May 09, 2017 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Why doesn't the DVD have a special edition too....
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Great, now I won't have to get Funimation's most likely inferior cheap release.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:

DVD releases are generally a standard release without the fancy extra bonuses you can get with the BD. It's not an uncommon practice, and many anime titles are released this way.

Of course that doesn't really answer your question of "why," but that's how it is. BD players don't cost much nowadays anyway so if you don't have one, you should definitely invest in one.
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Whoo hoo! Now, which to get, the Collector's Edition or the Special Edition...

Doesn't seem like it's yet available for pre-order on Amazon.

EDIT: Nm, found it on Amazon.

Amazon JP or Aazon US?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Good. If Funimation takes forever to release it (like they did with Eva 3.33), I can import the standard BD. It will not have the dub, but I don't trust its quality anyways.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
DMCMaster wrote:
Amazon JP or Aazon US?

Japan.

To make matters worse, there are Amazon limited editions available for each version which include a pre-order bonus clear bookmark, and Amazon exclusive bonuses: A4-sized special frame w/ HQ printed illustration and a couple postcards. Looks like they're more expensive than the versions without the Amazon bonuses. Kinda sucks since usually Amazon-exclusive versions will just be the full retail price but in this case they're charging extra for said bonuses. They should include the pre-order bonus bookmark with non-Amazon versions too.

Personally I went with the regular collector's edition, but I may have second thoughts and change to the special edition. The extra bonus disc and pocket script may not be worth the extra $50. =\

EDIT: Not surprising... Different store bonuses... HMV's has a different illustration print. You can get the BD/DVD without the print but including the pre-order bookmark at 14% off retail here, whereas Amazon makes you get the higher-priced Amazon version if you want the bookmark. It'll also include a lottery application for an orchestra concert at HMV too.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Tue May 09, 2017 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
DMCMaster wrote:
Amazon JP or Aazon US?

Japan.

To make matters worse, there are Amazon limited editions available for each version which include a pre-order bonus clear bookmark, and Amazon exclusive bonuses: A4-sized special frame w/ HQ printed illustration and a couple postcards. Looks like they're more expensive than the versions without the Amazon bonuses. Kinda sucks since usually Amazon-exclusive versions will just be the full retail price but in this case they're charging extra for said bonuses. They should include the pre-order bonus bookmark with non-Amazon versions too.

Personally I went with the regular collector's edition, but I may have second thoughts and change to the special edition. The extra bonus disc and pocket script may not be worth the extra $50. =\

Im just trying to find the standard edition on there, and cant seem to find it (found the OST so far, but I already have that)
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:

Toho has been moving to make the BD versions the main attraction for their releases. Shin Godzilla's release earlier this year only had BD special editions as well.

DVD is seen as the "cheap" option; essentially it's the one for people who don't want to pay much to either buy it or make it. The market has generally shifted to BDs now, especially for collectors, so it makes sense to only use BDs there.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
DMCMaster wrote:
Im just trying to find the standard edition on there, and cant seem to find it (found the OST so far, but I already have that)

BD? Or DVD?
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
DMCMaster wrote:

BD? Or DVD?

Thanks and bluray, although I also just found it on CD Japan (why has it taken me so long to find this site)
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
DMCMaster wrote:

BD? Or DVD?

Thanks and bluray, although I also just found it on CD Japan (why has it taken me so long to find this site)

(Ordered it from Amazon Japan, almost an extra $20 on CD Japan for tracked shipping)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, guess I know where I'm pre-ordering then instead of waiting on a physical release from Funimation. Laughing

Only thing to contemplate is if I want the Standard or Special Edition Blu-Ray release from CD Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'll just wait. Importing is a pain.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
It didn't seem to be totally clear, but does the 3-disc special edition include the video-storyboards and making-of videos? That's what I'm primarily interested in, and I have no use for 4K just yet, so not sure if I want to spend an extra $40 just for that... If the 3-disc set comes with that stuff that's the best release, by far, for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4