• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Actually, I Am...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Like Paul, I too watched School Rumble recently. Although for me it was a first-time viewing. I picked up the SAVE sets for both seasons during Right Stuf's Christmas 2015 sale for ridiculously cheap since I had always heard good things. However, due to the length of the series, I kept finding other things that I wanted to watch or play. Finally, I decided that it was in my "To Watch" pile for too long. I'm surprised how much I liked it, and that the running jokes didn't grow stale, even after 50+ episodes.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Actually I am... review wrote:
On the subject of the show's jokes, the best stuff happens when it goes fully absurd. I'm talking scenarios like Nagisa having to pose as an action figure, or the heroines force feeding a demon rotten food to prevent a meteorite from hitting the earth. Unfortunately, that amounts to less than half of the show's content. The rest focuses on the love triangle between Asahi, Youko, and Nagisa, which is about as tepid as it gets.

Actually, I am in disagreement with this. I found the show most enjoyable when it was focusing on drama, romance and being sort of heartwarming. The episodes that focused on comedy were boring in my opinion.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Actually I am... review wrote:
On the subject of the show's jokes, the best stuff happens when it goes fully absurd. I'm talking scenarios like Nagisa having to pose as an action figure, or the heroines force feeding a demon rotten food to prevent a meteorite from hitting the earth. Unfortunately, that amounts to less than half of the show's content. The rest focuses on the love triangle between Asahi, Youko, and Nagisa, which is about as tepid as it gets.

Actually, I am in disagreement with this. I found the show most enjoyable when it was focusing on drama, romance and being sort of heartwarming. The episodes that focused on comedy were boring in my opinion.
While I enjoy the comedy, the show is at its best in these moments. I also find Asahi's character aids in this. While he is simple enough for a viewer to insert themselves into his shoes, he separates himself from other harem leads by having an actual personality.

That said, while it lacks punch I find Actually, I am... to be the only monster girl series that understands how comedy works. It understands karma and how to subvert expectations thus its characters suffering feels rewarding. That's just me though.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the anime, but I've been reading the manga My Monster Secret, where the main lead didn't really strike me as being horny at all. Did they make him up to be so in the anime?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was called Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors
marvel knight

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Vocaloid is that a shirtless Len on the wall next to the Miku Pack in the 3rd pic?
I've never seen that before, i need a better look please.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I wish Actually I am... was as good as Good Luck Ninomiya-kun!, I would have at least finished it then. Ok, look, when the main characteristic of your main heroine of your harem/monster comedy isn't that she's a vampire but she's kind of dense, you made a mistake. When your choice for girl number two is physically incapable of being a love interest, ever, you made a mistake. When your girl number three is... whatever she was...

Sense a pattern yet? I'm trying to keep it vague to avoid spoilers but I only liked one character from this cast but she didn't made the "romantic comedy" grade for being too short. Way too short...

With Good Luck Ninimiya kun, the girls turned out to be both spoiler[childhood friends and succubi] and I was fine with that; It made sense and showed that he attracted a certain type. With Actually I am, I couldn't help but think "Ok, this is our main character's tastes, cute but dumb? But nothing about the vampire thing. Either as a positive or a negative? No?" And she liked him because... she really didn't like him much at all right? Did it get better?

And now I realize I have the same sort of problems with Rosario + Vampire. Main character is interested in the main vampire girl to the detriment of the more interesting cast because...

First girl, physically attractive and with the personality of a block of wood. Not even the vampire aspect plays a part. Even Monster Musume's Kimihito has lamia Miia as his "first" girl and he's a leg man so... no advantage at the very least, karmic irony at its best. Also, there are no vampires in the main cast as they're getting to the horror equivalent of fantasy's "elves" these days.

And I was doing ok with Cromartie High School until the dub used the term "faggot" ironically straight. "Yup, don't care anymore. Done here." School Rumble's still cool though.
Not_Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And I was doing ok with Cromartie High School until the dub used the term "faggot" ironically straight. "Yup, don't care anymore. Done here." School Rumble's still cool though.

Imagine depriving yourself of one of the best comedy dubs of all time because of a word.

spoiler[ That line was the funniest one in the show. I can prove it with science.]
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice columns Smile I should post pics of my shelves but at the moment, since it's spring...the dreaded time to clean dust lol
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I haven't watched the anime, but I've been reading the manga My Monster Secret, where the main lead didn't really strike me as being horny at all. Did they make him up to be so in the anime?
No. The "Ero-mine" joke is still played for laughs despite not being the case.

Animegomaniac wrote:
When Cromartie High was dubbed, "faggot" didn't have the harsh connotation it does now. Words evolve over time, it's pretty cool.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm surprised how much I liked it, and that the running jokes didn't grow stale, even after 50+ episodes.

Nostalgia may be the most significant factor here, but I often find myself pining for its combination of plot-driven humour and carefree frolicking, a unique levity for which we are always willing to repay the show with our sympathy when an episode requires it. Whenever I watch a high-school romantic comedy, be it Toradora or Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, School Rumble always seems to compare favourably by most relevant criteria.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
If you speed-watch all of Actually I Am... you realise the in show soundtrack has like 3 songs. I got so sick of that one song that goes "ha ha ha ha".

It wasn't a terrible show but it wasn't particularly exciting. I admit I enjoyed the sexy battle.

Also, the ex delinquent teacher was best girl, and I was surprised she was voiced by the same person who did Honoka in Love Live.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Northlander wrote:
No. The "Ero-mine" joke is still played for laughs despite not being the case.

Animegomaniac wrote:
When Cromartie High was dubbed, "faggot" didn't have the harsh connotation it does now. Words evolve over time, it's pretty cool.

No, it still had that harsh connotation. Having that word thrown at you in the early 2000's was just as terrible as today. Trust me, I know. The only difference between them and now is that it's generally far less acceptable to use the word in public.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The Actually, I Am... was alright at best, but i adore the manga. Not sure i agree about the art style; to me, it looks quite different than any other manga i've read. Especially in the first couple volumes, the more angular faces make the characters look more mature than the usual rounded, soft designs that make characters look 13. I do agree that the anime's character design adaptation wasn't the best.

A rental is probably the correct assessment for the anime, but the manga is one of my favorite on-goings.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I Am... / My Monster Secret is one of my favorite currently-running manga, but I did not care for the show in the slightest. In my opinion, it ruined almost everything that make the characters charming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2