• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA Reveals Additional Cast, Designs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah! Kenshi makes his appearance as a young child (Need more Geminar). Seina looks so grown now as expected. Those designs of Amane and Gyokuren just jump out as thick to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Who could even continue watching this series at this point? Like, who would admit to watching more of this without being embarrassed? It's become such a humiliating train wreck of a franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Shit just got real. Tenchi Muyo looks like its going to jump ahead to the year 1998 in episode 24. Yes. I admit im watching it. train wreck and all. This OVA series is a complete load of crap. I just hope they time skip away from the mid 90's. the beginning of Seikishi takes place in 2009, and that's a very big deal to still not be unresolved, though episode 23 gave us a hint.
O-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Who could even continue watching this series at this point? Like, who would admit to watching more of this without being embarrassed? It's become such a humiliating train wreck of a franchise.

Honestly there's a LOT more out there in modern anime that is way more embarrassing for a fan to be into. While the Tenchi franchise is definitely not as relevant and popular in the West anymore there are still fans that keep up with this for the story alone. Even though OAV 3 pretty much resolved many of the question from the 2nd OAV my attitude if Japan wants to keep this train going, that's fine by me. Yeah, it's not as action oriented as it used to be but at least it's connecting the main series with GXP and Geminar more and I appreciate them doing that as opposed to putting it in novels that will never see the light of day here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
OAV 3 pretty much resolved many of the question from the 2nd

Yeah, it resolved them much like a punch to the mouth resolves a toothache.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least these "new" characters tie in the other series from the Ryo-Ohki continuity. Granted, no one really likes GXP or War on Geminar... but hey, whatever. I personally think they should just keep doing some fun adventures with the already established cast. Even though I think Ryo-Ohki 2 was kind of standard, I prefer it over Ryo-Ohki 3 by a LOT.

Oh well, Misaki is coming back and she's actually an adorable motheru character. ^^ Hopefully they'll keep her entertaining.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

louis6578 wrote:
Granted, no one really likes GXP or War on Geminar... but hey, whatever.

And here's some people who just have no respect for the opinions of others who actually like what they're insulting.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
While it is True that none of the series that came post millenium mach to the greatness of the orginal first ovas as well as universe and the movies... they still have their own good qualities..Geminar especially is probably the best post millenium tenchi series to come out and i wish a s2 would come one day.

What i am more interestes is how the main lead of Dual is going to be in this ova. For those who do not know their was another spinoff back in 1999 called Dual Parallel Trouble Adventures that focused on another lead who pilots a giant robo(the one that seina yamada now pilots)

Dual is part of the ryo-ohki canon but the leads within it are from a parallel earth much like Geminar is in the same vote..so i am really curious how they would fit in this ova.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to see the character from Dual!! I mean I know they are connected but it was interesting to see him as an adult.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
So..even more distractions from the original cast AND shoveling all of the other sub-series into this? Wish they would have left those as loosely connected and dropped the Noike stuff. Sorry to see this happen to a series I had otherwise enjoyed.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

louis6578 wrote:
Granted, no one really likes GXP or War on Geminar... but hey, whatever.

And here's some people who just have no respect for the opinions of others who actually like what they're insulting.

Pfft!

Tell me about it!

There's plenty in modern anime I DON'T care for but I don't complain about every stupid series I don't watch or pretend that everybody has to like everything I like!

Life's too short to stress over this stuff and there's not enough time to watch all I'm interested in anyway let alone complain about and denigrate everything I don't care for!
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Geminar was pretty good, now that's something I would like to see more of.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I say this as a long time Tenchi fan that OVA4 hasn't impressed me so far but I'm still keepng up with it because I love these characters and I've been too committed to this franchise for too long to give up at this point. Even though I don't like it as much, I still hope Funimation will license it and dub just so we can hear the dub cast one last time. I know that both Sherry Lynn and Petrea Burchard have told me on Twitter before they would love to return to the series if they dubbed it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
I've only watched the first episode, so I don't have enough to speak on the quality overall, but I do feel like it can be rough to watch simply with the huge cast of characters now. Especially as a western fan that doesn't have access to all the novels released, not to mention the time since watching the previous spin-offs. At least there are Wikis!

I personally would have preferred keeping the cast smaller, as it was in the 1st & 2nd OVAs (and even GXP to an extent), but I'm still interested to see where it goes Smile

I hope this comes out here, simply because it's more Tenchi, but if it does, I hope it comes with a guide book O_o

Btw, has there been any word on how many episodes this is planned to be?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
While it is True that none of the series that came post millenium mach to the greatness of the orginal first ovas as well as universe and the movies... they still have their own good qualities..Geminar especially is probably the best post millenium tenchi series to come out and i wish a s2 would come one day.

What i am more interestes is how the main lead of Dual is going to be in this ova. For those who do not know their was another spinoff back in 1999 called Dual Parallel Trouble Adventures that focused on another lead who pilots a giant robo(the one that seina yamada now pilots)

Dual is part of the ryo-ohki canon but the leads within it are from a parallel earth much like Geminar is in the same vote..so i am really curious how they would fit in this ova.

actually its it more in part of the GXP series than ryo-oki since seina was piloting genbu in ep 24 of that series.

but the real question is how the hell is dual's MC even there in the first place?????

i saw all the eps of GXP when it showed on adult swim, and he never ONCE made any cameo appearance. the only thing from that series that actually made a cameo appearance was the mechanoid genbu and it was meant to be a fanservice type of thing , not to have any meaning to the storyline since the creator of the tenchi series also created dual .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2