• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Rank Favorite Japanese Voice Actor Singers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
While scrolling down the page, I was stunned by the absence of Hayashibara. Then I reached the 10th place, fuu. I know she isn't "relevant" anymore or at least less present on this scene but I think she's earned a definitive place in this kind of rankings. ^^"

edit: I forgot to mention the absence of Sakamto indeed.

Last edited by AyanamiRei on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
.....Toshiyuki Toyonaga and Toshiki Masuda should be on there. Out of the ones on the list, Shouta Aoi is the best, but I can think of so many that are better than the other ones on that list...

It's sort of funny, out of the 6 harem members from my favorite otome game series, the three that are the best singers are exactly the ones who are not on this list.

But clearly, no one can deny that Shouta Aoi is pure perfection.

Also, Suzuko Mimori and Nana Mizuki~
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
While scrolling down the page, I was stunned by the absence of Hayashibara. Then I reached the 10th place, fuu. I know she isn't "relevant" anymore or at least less present on this scene but I think she's earned a definitive place in this kind of rankings. ^^"

Same here.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting Shouta Aoi (if only because I've missed most of the series he's been in by pure coincidence), but he does happen to be the only male VA I can think of to have pulled off an adult female role (and a singing role, at that!), so he probably earned that #2 spot. #3 on would make sense in just about any order, but seeing Kenichi Suzumura sharing the #10 spot with Megumi Hayashibara is fitting, but kind of bittersweet.

Yukari Tamura's fans are legion, so there's no helping that #1 on the female side, but Nana Mizuki yielding #2 to Yoshino Nanjou... That's... surprising, but not in a bad way. What I've heard her in has been good (Symphogear and Berserk), but not enough to compete with Nana Mizuki's sheer volume (or her volume).

(Megumi Hayashibara and Nana Mizuki will still hold the #1 and #2 spots in my heart, at least.)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
How is Maaya Sakamoto not #1?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but Shimono is still mada mada when it comes to singing, imo. SuzuKen is way better than him or Okamoto. My favorite seiyuu is Kamiya but I have to say that SuzuKen sings better than even Kamiya. Miyu and OnoD should be higher on the list as well.

But alas, this is more a popularity thing than an actual rank of talent. I'm kind of surprised Suzuki Tatsuhisa and Taniyama Kishow are not on the list. Guess they don't count bands with seiyuu lead vocals?
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Wether anyone likes her or not, Nana Mizuki outsings most of the remaining entries in this list because she's an actual singer so yes, it's a popularity contest through and through. I also really like Mamoru Miyano as a voice actor but he can't really sing (he's actually decent but his singing voice is on the weak side both in volume & range).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder what lead to KanaHan's omission from this list, considering she is also a singer.
Ruri Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
Ultimately this is still more of a popularity poll than a skill poll.

I can't say I prefer any of the male seiyuu's singing, but Miyano being at #1 spot makes a lot of sense. He has a lot of stage presence, huge fanbase, and in terms of vocal technique, it's definitely not bad.
(Shouta Aoi for #2 though is definitely due to popularity...I'd rather listen to my neighbour's kid's screaming)

I digress on Mizuki though, yes her songs are catchy, yes her vocal has power and range, but in terms of vocal control, she goes off key here and there when she gets to a certain pitch, and her technique is decent but not fantastic.

Seconding the thought of why isn't Maaya Sakamoto on the list when she's pitch perfect.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the absence of Maaya Sakamoto is strange.
And then there's great seiyuus, who are great singers, but whom I did not expect to see in this poll to begin with, since it's more about popularity: Koichi Yamadera, Mayumi Tanaka, Hideo Ishikawa, Nobutoshi Canna, Ryotaro Okiayu, Juurouta Kosugi, Ai Orikasa, Urara Takano and Chisa Yokoyama.
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I believe Hiro Shimono earned his spot. His singing has improved a great deal in the last seven years! When Uta no Prince-Sama first came out in 2010, his singing wasn’t all that great. But in the more recent songs he’s done not just for UtaPri but also for Kabukibu, you can tell he has improved a lot. Though, I do agree that popularity had to do with this and Hiro Shimono gained a lot of popularity from UtaPri and then becoming an idol himself.
As3ann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:

Yukari Tamura's fans are legion, so there's no helping that #1 on the female side, but Nana Mizuki yielding #2 to Yoshino Nanjou... That's... surprising, but not in a bad way. What I've heard her in has been good (Symphogear and Berserk), but not enough to compete with Nana Mizuki's sheer volume (or her volume).

well, for Yoshino's repertoire, fripSide was and is still a thing and no otaku doesn't know only my railgun, and her popularity seemed to go up after Love Live so that's not too surprising for me.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Shouta deserves the credit. He's a real professional singer among those. Taniyama Kishow is another good singer. He's not on the list because he's probably not that popular as a voice actor anymore.

Kamiya? I am sure this is partly a popularity list...
Miyano? Even Ono Kensho is better than him and I am not joking.

And yes, I think Toyonaga Toshiyuki sings better than most on the list.

There are a lot of voice actors who can sing well but are not on the list, purely because they are not that popular/well-known.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Color me surprised to see Kamiya not #1 on the list for any seiyuu poll. (I have seen some salty responses elsewhere already...)

I'm really biased for MamoShoutan so it's nice to see them at #1 and #2, and even then I'm so curious as to how on earth Taniyama didn't end up on the poll - his voice is astounding. And yes, there are great seiyuu singers who deserve a spot on the list but didn't because they're not popular enough (Toyonaga is a good example). I like Shimono's voice acting well enough, but top 10 on a singing poll...? Yes, he's improved since the early Utapri days, but his singing still has a long way to go. Nice to see Saito Soma up there, he's really climbing the popularity polls this year, but I feel that the song featured in the video (I watched it) didn't really do justice to his singing abilities.

I'll just end off with a video of Aoi Shouta hitting those high notes. It's almost crazy how high he can go.

Edit: hilariously, the first video I see when I went to Youtube to search for the above song is a video of Aoi and Toyonaga singing a duet together. It's as if Youtube knows what I'm looking for.
Alkeia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
ice_tea wrote:
Aoi Shouta deserves the credit. He's a real professional singer among those.

Professional is a bit exaggerating... even if he has range, his voice is the most unpleasant thing. He sounds like a dying cat. I really don't get how that garners fans.

ice_tea wrote:
Miyano? Even Ono Kensho is better than him and I am not joking.

I'm sorry you're deaf?

On a side note, where's Horie Yui.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2