• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ryuo's Work is Never Done! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote

(The) Ryuo's Work is Never Done! (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, tournament
Themes: harem, shogi

Plot Summary: A teenage boy named Yaichi Kuzuryū happens to be the strongest shogi player in history, holding the top title of “Ryuo” (Dragon King). One fateful day, shogi-loving elementary student, Ai Hinatsuru, appears before him claiming that he promised to be her master.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am sure that the correct response for a mature watcher of anime who views anime often with an eye of looking for artistic choice and not be an actually immoral, is to be turned off by it all. That it is not good.

And that is where I have to disappoint anyone who would think better, but this sort of thing often becomes my jam. I enjoy stuff like this, and I enjoyed the first episode. I am sure the loli stuff is a bit strong, but that sort of thing rarely acts as a barrier to me unless a real line is crossed. I guess that counts as my real guilty pleasure. I guess I still hope that any serious romance stuff be with someone actually suitable, but I guess watching 16 year olds would also be weird.

But I will probably will be watching this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
The first episode didn't convince to stop watching, but it also didn't indicate that this will be a "watch to the end" title, either. It's on probation. I have to admit that March Comes in Like a Lion has made me favourably disposed to shogi-stories and I can find loli characters charming, so we'll see.
PrecureOjisan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
Actually a good first episode. Kinda sad seeing people leave it already just because of a few seconds of fan service. Why do people react so violently when it comes to loli shows? Sad
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I really the only person who seriously enjoyed this episode? I thought it was great.

AI was *really* put to the test here. Seeing her start to crack and fold under the pressure of facing down such a ruthless opponent, only to find her second wind and give Ginko a challenge was pretty intense! Ginko herself was pretty merciless too, cold and unflinching, giving Ai a panic attack just by staring her down, but the reveal afterwards that her icy persona was a struggle to maintain in the face of such a tough adversary was pretty interesting!

Shame I seem to be the only one who seems to be liking this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Shame I seem to be the only one who seems to be liking this show.

Oh, you silly little muffin. Of course you are not the only one liking this show. I has really started to pick up steam I think.

Part of the problems in these shows can be to feel like the main character is strong enough to catch attention, but also weak enough that they can improve, so it seems alright that there still seems to be some barriers in the way. And that the hero could actually put some effort rather than going with the flow in that he decide he wants to take her on.

But, silly Japan, you can't just force a 17 year old boy to become engaged to marry your 9 year old daughter after he takes an interest in her as a person.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
I'm watching it too and it is quite good. I just don't have that much to say about it.

One thing I do appreciate is how in stuff like this it's normally a stuck up/jaded/grouchy prodigy who's forced to involve himself with a more innocent character, causing said prodigy to light up/learn to enjoy himself more or whatever. But here Mr Dragon King is a nice enough guy and he's quick to welcome Ai as his apprentice once he sees her skills.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It tows a strange line between the "old Grouchy prodigy" shows like Barakamon and "young mentor to lightly sexualized kids" shows like Angel's 3Piece! and Ro-Kyu-Bu! But it gives off more of a PapaKiki (Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father!) vibe.

As long as it keeps things innocent enough I figure I'm in for the long haul.
(I started but was unable to finish either Angels 3P or RoKyuBu.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Except for the continued references to taking a little girl as a bride, I think the show is actually working pretty well. Got a laugh out of when they did the reveal that the person was indeed a lady, and the shock of that was enough to distract her out of a match. The new character, who will be acting as a rival to Ai, and is also called Ai. Need some way to differentiate them.... One has blue eyes and the other has red, so maybe that will be it.

Also, funny that Yaichi was shaking in fear at the end because he realized the situation he is in.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
So now that we know it's not a lolicon series, it's not complete crap anymore?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
As it only teases being a lolicon series

may I remind you this was shouted in the last episode:
"Oh! Elementary school girls are the best!"

I guess it's only partial crap. Wink

And really, the bigger problem is the shifting focus. The switch to him "battling" tourney style in that episode was not a welcome development for me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
After a great episode like this one it's a real shame the show got dismissed so easily.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
I understand that there may very well be a good reason women do not succeed more in shogi or chess but the weird sort of blanket acceptance shown in this episode ("I would not rank in the top 10,000") left a bad taste in my mouth.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking it odd that they were saying only guys have the ability to look so ahead in the game, but clearly this is the ability that blue Ai is fostering inside her. I am somewhat reminded of something from a while back, that it used to be assumed that women were worse at maths, but it was found that simply the insinuation of being told they were worse had an impact on young girls learning maths in having them underperform. There was little actual difference in gender, but negative effects that supposed tradition had sabotaging one gender.

The girls even participating in saying Yaichi is something they cannot reach, is something that they are weakening themselves. You could say they are being their worst opponent, but I suspect that the industry itself probably has some blame at putting the women as being at a lower level has some blame, even subconsciously.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
The sexual divide in Shogi and chess is real though. The cause is just unexplained. The writer's interview here does seem to suggest that he believe women players are inherently worse though.

"Ai may have learned the rules at a later age, but I think the rate she has improved is maybe not realistic for a girl player, although there are boy players who can master shogi within half a year of picking up the game."

The problem more likely one of numbers though. A bit like the math example. The are exponentially more men players, the chances are simply on their side. And the psychology. Everyone seems to believe women have to be worse, and the idea persists.

It does bring up an interesting comparison between this and March Comes In Like a Lion. Maybe because that's by a female writer, or maybe she's less knowledgeable about the game and its accepted norms, but if the split between the women's league and the regular pro league is so major then Kyoko should have not had a fraction of the problem she does with her father. Her father would have accepted that his daughter wouldn't be as good and still have been impressed with her "as a girl player".

So it's weird. Who is more right? Chica Umino for not acknowledging a sexist belief or Shirow Shiratori (and the anime writers) for probably overstating it?

It doesn''t sit well with me but even my fellow "woke" males have to admit there IS a stark difference in the levels men and women players have reached.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2