• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ReLIFE Limited Edition BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I like ReLIFE, but this review is right about all the problems the anime has. It's odd that the series is pointed to all the time as an example of how releasing entire anime seasons online hurts shows even though ReLIFE ended up being fairly widely watched; could it be that the lack of "discussion" about the show was due to the show's quality rather than because weekly discussion is all that matters for anime?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The show could have definitely been edited more tightly and focused on its strength. The middle portion completely drop anything related to the main premise to focus on just regular high school student having overly melodramatic fight over nothing, usual high school drama. This is made even more annoying by the fact that the story finish more or less on a cliff-hanger.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Posts Sometimes wrote:
I like ReLIFE, but this review is right about all the problems the anime has. It's odd that the series is pointed to all the time as an example of how releasing entire anime seasons online hurts shows even though ReLIFE ended up being fairly widely watched; could it be that the lack of "discussion" about the show was due to the show's quality rather than because weekly discussion is all that matters for anime?

I don't think ReLIFE was discussed less than other shows. In fact I remember quite lively discussions about it for a while. Devilman Crybaby is also talked about a lot, and so are certain movies. So I don't think releasing a show all at once hurts it much.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
The only 'discussion' it hurts is the three months of "I wonder what it all means? Maybe we'll find out next week" that makes up a lot of the conversations about simulcasts.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The show wanders from small arc to small arc, offering small dramatic pleasures along the way, but failing to build towards anything larger.

... and there's the problem. Not with the show but this review. It's Re:Life not new life. Or maybe they meant "relive"?

Either way, the show isn't about starting over or anything so grand... even if that's who they company itself tries to sell it... but reassessing what the subjects have already experienced. A real second chance series wouldn't have the sci fi stop at de-aging pills but would include actually time travel doing the full butterfly effect. And honestly, time travel would be easier to buy; "Hey, we have immortality in pill form now?" No? Shouldn't those pills be making the company trillions even if the effect is just cosmetic? No? Well... fine then, not important. Moving on...

What actually happened is that Kaizaki was using his adult social skills in a high school setting. Hmm, interesting as high school itself is the great social experiment where children somehow learn to be adults... in theory. So it's less of a new start In life and more of a reboot. And the show could either end with Kaizaki as a failure or as a successful graduation into adulthood again.

That's not what kept me watching, it was the idea of spoiler[first failure subject]. Kaizuki's success was right there in the title/main character status too so... I don't know. Or more accurately, I don't think it finished. I don't recall.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The strange thing is, ReLIFE ends every episode with a different vocal insert song (covers of classic J-pop singles)

I'm pretty sure those were all by the original artists and not covers. I thought it was pretty cool once I picked up on what they were doing.

I really liked this series (but not enough to buy the fancy release), though I did have a major issue with one aspect of the premise as it was presented. I was the only one who felt that way though, so I won't derail this by bringing it up again. Smile
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
The strange thing is, ReLIFE ends every episode with a different vocal insert song (covers of classic J-pop singles)

I'm pretty sure those were all by the original artists and not covers. I thought it was pretty cool once I picked up on what they were doing.

Yeah, those are all the original artists. The conceit is that it's the actual music that the protagonist would have on his old MiniDisc player. They are all from a pretty narrow window in time that fits for them being his high school tunes. (It makes for some nostalgia if you're of a similar age.)
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
You know what, I really enjoyed this show despite the faults and thought it was a really solid rom-com that I've seen in recent years. I'm excited to see the conclusion in march Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1