• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gosick: The Complete Series Part Two BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I find the emphasis in the review on the "historical inaccuracies" to be puzzling, as, at least to me, this series was always clearly an alternate history show, using period details as it saw fit for its story and themes, without sweating the specifics too much. They're not "inaccuracies" if it's an alternate timeline/history to begin with.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree with you. Too much hay being made over historical inaccuracies in a show that is a blatant alternate timeline. Good review otherwise.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess my problem is that I didn't see it as being "alternative" - there were enough details that suggested otherwise to me, and some of the more alternative bits felt more like anime tropes, like the nuns hosting the magic show or the whole luxury liner storyline. But I'm willing to admit that I may have been too literal.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I guess my problem is that I didn't see it as being "alternative" - there were enough details that suggested otherwise to me, and some of the more alternative bits felt more like anime tropes, like the nuns hosting the magic show or the whole luxury liner storyline. But I'm willing to admit that I may have been too literal.

It's all tied up with Victorique's mother's story, which we only see scraps of directly. There's enough to piece it together, but the way the show handles it doesn't really suggest that you should try to piece it together. I read the novel before seeing the show, which I think helps.

Let's see. It's a long time since I watched the show [australia], but... the government of Saubre engages in divination-based future manipulation to secure their own position and stability. Thus the luxury liner. Victorique's mother doesn't like this or the people involved, so she works to destroy the capacity and succeeds [the magic show], and then the war happens "early".

So... yeah? it's a flaw, but it's a flaw of direction and script rather than scenario/plot.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:01 am Reply with quote
A few comments about the music would have been good (still meaning to track down the second OST album).
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I only watched about 2 episode of this. The murder scenarios were so absurd I couldn't keep going. I really did like the idea of show and everything else,but I couldn't put aside the core issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1