• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2018 Pokémon Film's New Trailer, Teaser Reveal Guest Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
WHY AM I SO INTERESTED IN THIS MOVIE?!

I haven't had an interest in the anime in years. Last movie I watched was the Arceus one, and I dropped the anime during the Unova arc. I had considered watching last years movie, but after learning it deviated hard from the first season of the anime, I lost all interest. And yet this movie... I don't know if its the music making it seem like some kind of epic story, or Lugia(Pokemon 2000 is my favorite Pokemon film.), I just don't now what exactly is drawing me to this movie.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, nice cast! Goku, Spike and Shoko-tan! Now I'm hyped even if the record of good Pokemon movies has stopped since the 8th one.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
Nozawa voiced the Elekid in the short before the second movie and Yamadera voiced Lugia itself.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 am Reply with quote
What Pokémon is Japanese? Nani.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
Ash's constant blush weirds me out.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
Anyone else think the Risa character is over-stylized? She kind of stuck out to me compared to the other characters.

On another note: THAT NEW POKEMON! ****, I flat out refuse to re-buy Moon under a new title, but dammit if I don't wanna get my hands on that upright electro-kitty.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

I haven't had an interest in the anime in years. Last movie I watched was the Arceus one, and I dropped the anime during the Unova arc. I had considered watching last years movie, but after learning it deviated hard from the first season of the anime, I lost all interest. And yet this movie... I don't know if its the music making it seem like some kind of epic story, or Lugia(Pokemon 2000 is my favorite Pokemon film.), I just don't now what exactly is drawing me to this movie.

The worst part about I Choose You was when they had Pikachu speak for the first time. BIG MISTAKE! It was hard to take the movie seriously after that. I understand it was supposed to illustrate both spoiler[Ash having a hallucination before dying] as well as his bond with Pikachu, but it was still unnecessary. Did OLM really think we were that stupid?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving the new art style and the "reboot" of the older movies.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I think this is Nozawa's first involvment in Pokémon since she voiced Masamune back in Advance Generation.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

Might want to watch that reboot film, then. This is its continuation.

I was put off over the whole idea of them rebooting the story, but the 20th movie was really exciting. My roommate and I watched my Japanese BD right after watching the Lucario film and we liked it more than the Lucario film. It did have fast pacing because it crammed a lot in at once, but they still made the film very memorable.

Also, I've heard Ohtani-san speak as Pikachu in mystery dungeon before, probably among other pojects, so the speaking part wasn't really a big deal... in Japanese. I can't say anything about the English dub.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I bet Funimation might license the movie in both Dub and Sub versions, but with the original Japanese character names, agreed?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
I bet Funimation might license the movie in both Dub and Sub versions, but with the original Japanese character names, agreed?

Are you crazy?!?! The rights to the anime already have an owner, The Pokémon Company (a.k.a. Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures). The chances of Funimation getting Pokémon are zero, don’t count on it.

Now a crazy idea that I think might work would be to make the movie available on Nintendo Switch in the US (via eShop), making it the first Pokémon movie to make its US debut on a Nintendo game console.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:

Are you crazy?!?! The rights to the anime already have an owner, The Pokémon Company (a.k.a. Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures). The chances of Funimation getting Pokémon are zero, don’t count on it.

Now a crazy idea that I think might work would be to make the movie available on Nintendo Switch in the US (via eShop), making it the first Pokémon movie to make its US debut on a Nintendo game console.

It would be nice if has an Sub/Dub release, I mean, TPCi should start doing Dual Audio anyhow!
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Wow, nice cast! Goku, Spike and Shoko-tan! Now I'm hyped even if the record of good Pokemon movies has stopped since the 8th one.

It's not too surprising Yamadera being in it, since he's had a vocal role in about every last Pokemon animated movie made since he did vocal effects for Mew in Mewtwo Strikes Back all the way back in 1998. Pretty much Koichi Yamadera being in a Pokemon animated movie is just standard operating procedure at this point.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:

It's not too surprising Yamadera being in it, since he's had a vocal role in about every last Pokemon animated movie made since he did vocal effects for Mew in Mewtwo Strikes Back all the way back in 1998. Pretty much Koichi Yamadera being in a Pokemon animated movie is just standard operating procedure at this point.

Yamadera should be considered a Pokémon movie veteran at this point, he's done a lot of them. On a side note, for all you Disney fans out there, Yamadera is also the Japanese voice of Donald Duck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1