• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: VRChat Turns Japanese Men Into 3D Moe Girls Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
That's cute. I just wish real people - men, women, whatever - would realize that you can actually look like a cute, moe anime character in real life, with a little effort, and practice with makeup and fashion and things like that.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's not only Japanese men. There's people, mostly guys, all over the world on VRChat playing usually as anime girls.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
It's not only Japanese men. There's people, mostly guys, all over the world on VRChat playing usually as anime girls.

Unless you are relatively young or outright oblivious to gaming culture, guys playing as cute girl avatars has been a thing for a while.

The only thing that "might" be of note is that if the guys are specifically choosing the cute YOUNG looking female avatars over say a blatant adult female avatar.
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
PsychoPearl wrote:

The only thing that "might" be of note is that if the guys are specifically choosing the cute YOUNG looking female avatars over say a blatant adult female avatar.

To be fair, Kanna-chan is actually 900+ years old, and she was a running meme, so I wouldn't put too much into it. Besides, she's kawaii as f****
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Something about how on the internet men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
In the future, all will be moe. Resistance is futile. In fact, the idea of resistance will itself be instantiated as a moe girl -- she will fight against all the other moe girls, until they pat her on the head and say "there, there" and then they will all be friends.

The future will be glorious.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
PsychoPearl wrote:

Unless you are relatively young or outright oblivious to gaming culture, guys playing as cute girl avatars has been a thing for a while.

Um.. I never said VRChat was the 1st time men played as women. I was only commenting on how the article was talking about only Japanese men when everybody and their mom on VRChat usually plays as moe anime girls..
Etue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It's been a thing for a while now... for people all over the world

Also, that twitter link.
I'm pretty sure that Hackadoll #3 was canonically a ambiguous looking little boy.

even if he ''lost it'' for one episode, he got it back later.
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
da wae
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to play VRChat but I chickened out lol, plus I'd only be playing with a keyboard which takes away some of the fun. But I like to watch videos of people's antics, notably Pokelawls YouTube channel.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Of course. Thats the concept of moe girl: it's an avatar that allows one's childlike feminine side to flower. That's what some people don't seem to understand as they criticize cute girls titles as demeaning to women when these characters are actually "avatars" for the predominantly male audience. The inverse applies to the boys love stuff: they are cute male avatars for a predominantly female audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
i own psvr and bought another headset for my pc just to play VR chat.
lolis in 3d are worth it
DesolatePsyche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I mean hell yeah.. like a large amount of anime fans (including myself) want to be moe animu girls. As I make almost in every game my character female as I wanna enjoy the view and customizing them. (in most games make female. Depends on game and classes (if there are any). So If i ever get VR set and VRchat game for example. I'm damn sure to make cute moe girl. Or any cute animu girl.

Moral of the story. Is this surprising that lot of girls in VR/gaming world are guys. Nope.

It's absolutely normal and usual day in such culture.. So basically if cute virtual youtuber is cute, then that character is cute. Don't care who presents it.

Or to be honest, a simple game idea for VR would be sitting with a bunch of friends in a VR chatroom, drinking tea at fancy place, talking bout stuff. And everyone simply has their own waifu or avatar or both as their character model. Sound of a blissful place.

Moral of the story, hell yeah. A day where everyone be a cute moeblob has arrived.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 am Reply with quote
Someday, there will be moe girls, genetically engineered in those vertical tubes with the fluorescent liquid. They will not have any consciousness or sentience, and for some huge fee, someone's mind can be transferred into one of these moe girls, thus allowing them to be one, flesh and blood, in real life.

#861208 wrote:
That's cute. I just wish real people - men, women, whatever - would realize that you can actually look like a cute, moe anime character in real life, with a little effort, and practice with makeup and fashion and things like that.

And I guess a boatload of money of plastic surgery by the most skilled surgeons. Not sure how far that technology has come since Michael Jackson's race-lift though.

FenixFiesta wrote:

Well, that and now they're doing it in virtual reality, which is a more immersive experience than a third-person perspective on a TV screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1