• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Doreiku Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
It is nice to see that Sentai is not done doing license announcements.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this will not be this season's "King's Game."
beholder242

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
OK, so I'm a little confused...

In one sentence, it appears to indicate that Sentai has licensed this to be shown as a spring simulcast, which means it should either be on Amazon or HIDIVE as it airs in Japan, starting on April 12...

But then later on, it says that it's a Netflix exclusive in Japan and will air on other streaming services after the TV broadcast is over, which seems to suggest that it won't be on Amazon or HIDIVE until after the spring season ends.

Can someone clarify for me?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
OK, I've heard of worse premises for a TV series... it has a total lack of "something, something, other world", for example... but why does this feel like it'd be better if the group of people were fighting over for control of a single slave unit? Not as a game but in some sort of crime or spy story?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:

In one sentence, it appears to indicate that Sentai has licensed this to be shown as a spring simulcast, which means it should either be on Amazon or HIDIVE as it airs in Japan, starting on April 12...

But then later on, it says that it's a Netflix exclusive in Japan and will air on other streaming services after the TV broadcast is over, which seems to suggest that it won't be on Amazon or HIDIVE until after the spring season ends.

The whole netflix thing has me confused as well. It's Very rare for a netflix Japan exclusive to not also be a worldwide netflix exclusive. I really do wonder why netflix isn't going to stream it worldwide.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
I agree that the announcement is confusing, however, I am going to assume the title will be available on HiDive in North America beginning on April 12.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hopefully this will not be this season's "King's Game."

I'm hoping it is, only its actual enjoyability factor is more on par with Killing Bites.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
That I could live with.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree that the announcement is confusing, however, I am going to assume the title will be available on HiDive in North America beginning on April 12.

You are correct. HiDive just announced the simulcast and DubCast. So now we know of two spring shows they will be dubbing from the get-go.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
beholder242 wrote:

The whole netflix thing has me confused as well. It's Very rare for a netflix Japan exclusive to not also be a worldwide netflix exclusive. I really do wonder why netflix isn't going to stream it worldwide.

It appears from the article that the "exclusivity" part in Japan is only limited to the initial streaming when it is streamed alongside the TV broadcast in Japan. But afterward the article mentions:
Quote:
... with other services streaming the series after its television broadcast.

I have noticed that with other shows too. So maybe Netflix doesn't want to pay a steep license to have real streaming exclusivity
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1