• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Drive, Golem Hearts Manga End in Shonen Jump

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Super sad. I liked them both. Mainly Full Drive. Really cool MC and super great art.

Now though...that makes a pretty big hole in the line-up. 2 series out with nothing new announced yet. We just had 2 jump starts. And HxH probably only 7~ more chapters. Wonder whats coming.
Flip555

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
NOOO!!!! Im not surprised at all but its still sad. I hope Jump cancels Tomatoypoo no Lycopene and bring in 3 new series. Also, heres hoping Tite Kubo gets a series based on his one shot later this year.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Golem Hearts never got a chance, it was good too. Did an interesting thing where a young boy had a Female mentor, characters had interesting motivations and stuff.

13 chapters isn't enough time to get a true feel for series, if One Piece were to start today it would get canceled because the first 13 chapters aren't very good. At the same time I don't know what JUMP expects, you have so many Shounen running it's hard for anything to break out. When fans are told to vote for what they like it's hard, do you use your limited votes on something you know is succesful and like or something new you want to support? It's like the BAseball Hall of Fame, limited votes end up meaning good stuff gets left out.
Flip555

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Golem Hearts never got a chance, it was good too. Did an interesting thing where a young boy had a Female mentor, characters had interesting motivations and stuff.

13 chapters isn't enough time to get a true feel for series, if One Piece were to start today it would get canceled because the first 13 chapters aren't very good. At the same time I don't know what JUMP expects, you have so many Shounen running it's hard for anything to break out. When fans are told to vote for what they like it's hard, do you use your limited votes on something you know is succesful and like or something new you want to support? It's like the BAseball Hall of Fame, limited votes end up meaning good stuff gets left out.

Yeah, it's too tough for anything to get through. I understand that they wanna get a line up that they can be proud of so that the whole magazine thrives, but it takes time. I've been wanting them to do another monthly magazine or biweekly magazine to have som eof these mangaka to have their shots to keep going and if it really doesnt work out just get another. JUMP GIGA (JUMP NEXT) comes out too far apart for my taste.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

13 chapters isn't enough time to get a true feel for series, if One Piece were to start today it would get canceled because the first 13 chapters aren't very good.

You're not wrong. While its certainly grown into one of the best shonen manga ever, One Piece didn't really find its voice until about 30 chapters in. Oda was lucky that at the time of its publication, Jump was in a real creative slump, and had few standout hit manga to anchor the magazine (it did have Rurouni Kenshin, but it was already in its final arc when OP began.) So they were more willing to give manga time to grow since they needed popular series so badly. OP wasn't unpopular when it first came out but it didn't really become the chart-topping smash it is now until a year or so into its run.

Today's Jump has plenty of hit series which will likely keep going for a long time, which means it tends to take newer manga for granted, since their attitude is "If it's a hit, that's great, if it flops, who cares, we're doing just fine." This makes for a really tough environment for new creators.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Knew about Golem Hearts, but didn't realize Full Drive was getting cancelled too.

Can't speak for the latter but Golem Hearts started going downhill shortly after Viz dropped it. It became increasingly generic and then tried a jarring tonal shift as a last ditch effort to recover. It's a shame after how strongly it started but hopefully the mangaka will learn from this with his next series.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Wyvern"]
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Today's Jump has plenty of hit series which will likely keep going for a long time, which means it tends to take newer manga for granted, since their attitude is "If it's a hit, that's great, if it flops, who cares, we're doing just fine." This makes for a really tough environment for new creators.

Eh, that's a bit of an overstatement. While staying serialized in JUMP is certainly no easy task, it's not a case of making a huge hit or getting dumped immediately. More than anything for a series to stick around in jump it needs to prove it can gain and hold an audience, even if that audience isn't huge compared to their MVPs. In just the past couple years series like Kimetsu no Yaiba, Hinomaru Zumou, and Yuna of the Haunted Hot Spring have managed to carve out a relatively smaller but steady (and in Kimetsu's case, steadily growing) following to keep going.

I'd also argue that since at least 2015 JUMP has been giving a lot more series room to prove themselves where they might not have in years before. Straighten Up! and Samon the Summoner both lasted around 2 years before being axed, and even more recently cancelled ones like Shudan! and Cross Account got twice as long as usual to make their cases.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Pff well rip
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Flip555 wrote:
I hope Jump cancels Tomatoypoo no Lycopene and bring in 3 new series.

Not likely, I think. I think it's taking Isobe Isobee Monogatari's place as the gag manga placed in the back of the magazine.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote
I read Full Dive and couldn't believe how boring and unfunny it was. I mean, in this day and age, you'd think artists would be more conscientious about what people want. If you're going to do a sports manga, you should be funny like Haikyuu. Standards are rising everyday with the floods of entertainment and shortening attention spans.
MarquisNJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
Flip555 wrote:
NOOO!!!! Im not surprised at all but its still sad. I hope Jump cancels Tomatoypoo no Lycopene and bring in 3 new series. Also, heres hoping Tite Kubo gets a series based on his one shot later this year.

Never read the first series you mentioned but that's pretty fucked up by you wanting to wish a series gets cancelled because YOU personally don't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1