• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - All Dogs of Flanders Go to Heaven

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, I absolutely LOVE Dog of Flanders to hell and back. No, seriously, I LOVE this anime. I've seen every anime adaptation of it (except the comedy and robot show parodies), I actually read the original novel, and I am still pestering Discotek to release the movie on DVD, uncut and uncensored. Seriously, I'm surprised they didn't get it by now! I saw the movie in 2010 because one of my friends, who regularly blogged anime, talked about it and said it was a great movie. When I first saw it, I bawled like a baby and declared it one of the best anime ever. I wish more people here in America would appreciate it and give it the love it deserves!

Also, Pioneer's DVD and VHSes for it are ridiculously hard to find for cheap. No, really. In order to get it, you'd probably need to sell an arm, a leg, your hair, your two front teeth, your firstborn son, and a kidney. But the second someone license rescues the movie, I am SO buying it on day one! Pre-ordering it, even! This anime is awesome and more people need to see it!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dog eyes don't look like people eyes, man.

I used to make a silly joke that real life animals are the true inspirations behind the big anime eyes look (because their eyes are technically bigger than our own), and that we should be paying them some kind of royalties for said inspiration. XD
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like to see the Bakabon thing, but I feel like I'd probably have to watch every Japanese iteration of Dog of Flanders to get the references...

I'd never heard of the book until I started seeing it mentioned in manga and anime.
Like, I think Zetsubou Sensei has it as one of the book parodies as an extra in the book, and I recall some anime or manga or something where they had to get someone to cry and I *think* they started reading the book? Man, I don't even remember what that was. The parodies run deep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
So I made an account to reply specifically to this post, probably a big indication of how much of a fan I am of this series/movie/reference.

I've first heard of the Dog of Flanders when I bought a Pioneer VHS of the first Sailor Moon movie: Promise of the Rose (let's put that aside for another time). Before the movie were the commercials, one of them being the English Pioneer release of Dog of Flanders, a move that peaked my interest then and there because of the implicitly sad storyline, but it never went further than that as I was 10 then and couldn't really buy anything without someone 18 or older's permission.

Later on I went on to finding out that I had a (dare I say, masochistic) tendency to read / watch series that had gut-wrenchingly-realistic life lessons that would ultimately end with my ugly crying at the end because of the unfairness in life some characters would have to go through. And lo and behold, one day I recalled the commercial to Dog of Flanders and scrounged up any trace I could find of the Japanese dubbed / Eng subbed version of the movie. To this day, whenever I'm asked about my favorite movie, this is the first title to come to mind. Most people I know don't see much reason to like animated movies aside from the cute characters and pretty colors -- much less one that was released in the 1970s/80s about a Finnish boy and his dog. But gosh darn it it's one heck of a gut wrencher and I pray to whatever diety out there that watchers of this film will learn to become a better person after it all. I know I have. As sad as the ending is, I believe it was necessary -- every action we take will bring about a different outcome.

Did I mention I love this movie? If this doesn't make it obvious then let me say it clearly, I love this movie. Very Happy I'm really happy there is some recognition given to this masterpiece.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
You love the movie, too?! Awesome!! Let's be friends!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
You love the movie, too?! Awesome!! Let's be friends!!!! Very Happy

All for the love of Nello and Patrasche! Anime smallmouth
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this interesting and wonderfully in-depth article!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I just posted a link to this article followed by "Par. 5 talks about the lost 1914 Amer. silent ver. of "The Dog of Flanders" by filmmaker Howell Hansell. Sadly, it is a lost short." on The Silent Film Group. At almost 18,600 strong, this public FB group is the largest FB group on silent films.

The article mentions about Saint Bernard dogs. That is the "Heidi" dog. The late Jan. 1974 TV anime "Heidi, Girl of the Alps" was directed by Takahata-san.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Amusingly, while the film was deemed a little too long and brutal and had ten minutes chopped out by Pioneer, the ending was kept in place, albeit preceded by a treacly montage to try and soften the blow.

Pioneer did release a subtitled, uncut release to the 1990s anime adaptation of Dog of Flanders that was released only on VHS back in 1999. While the film was released to DVD in 2000, it only consisted of the edited English dub version they did. I did own the uncut subbed VHS release years ago when I was splurging on some old anime VHS tapes a while back. You'll be lucky to come across a copy of it on online stores like Amazon or E-Bay nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gordok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
If one goes back to the earliest days of the Pokemon anime, the origin story of James includes a parody of Dog of Flanders. Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:52 am Reply with quote
I know more of Dog of Flanders from anime then I do of it from anything else. Oddly enough, the same goes for The Little Match Girl which has one on that with its use In Pratchett's Hogfather which was only used to utterly dismiss it with a single phrase "What better present would be a future?" Oh and throwing stones at Angels who show up to take the girl to heaven.

Wow, why would never faltering in your beliefs to the point of death mean more to...
Ok, right. Oh this is awkward...

And much akin to Pratchett, the only good use of Flanders was as a parody and I'd like to point out Shin Koihime Musou which takes the story seriously up to the point of ascending to heaven before crashing everything back to Earth... literally... with a message of "You know, being alive is pretty good and all. There's food here."

The point of both stories is being saved after death but the parodies point out "Well, why not be saved before dying?" and then we all remember this is the country that turned a true story of survival into Graveyard of the Fireflies and now look where we all are....
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
Best dead dog: Old Yeller, Pastrache, Hachiko, or Mumu?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
#881680 wrote:
,,,All for the love of Nello and Patrasche! Anime smallmouth
This reminds me of a short bit in Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan about the "Slave Dog of Flanders" who loves his master a littler too much... Shocked
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
As someone who saw the Dog of Flanders as a kid, I just can say

Son a b*ch ending. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Hyoutantsugi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
If I may make a recommendation. There's actually a Belgian documentary about the whole story. It's very informative and a great watch if you are a fan of dog of flanders.
'Patrasche, a Dog of Flanders - Made in Japan (2007)'

It's in Dutch but it's not hard to find with english subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2