Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony to Stop Producing Physical PS Vita Game Cards in Americas, Europe by 2019




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3515
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
I hope this won't effect Bloodstained, I brought the Vita version, i've already had to loose the Wii U port.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Chii85



Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Why are they doing that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Calsolum



Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 742
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
R.I.P. the western vita market.

I mean it was slowly dying but this is just sad.

I wish sony had did a better job of marketing and promoting the vita here, I enjoy my vita alot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagusGuardian



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 582
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
wait the US was still getting physical vita game releases? I find that hard to believe considering my brother and I had to go to a different state just to find some physicals
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
futuresoon



Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I wonder what this means for otome games in the US--Aksys' Vita releases have been doing pretty well, or at least well enough to keep getting more, but they might not do as well if they have to switch to digital-only. There are signs that the Japanese market for otome games is drifting towards the Switch, but that'll probably be for new titles and old installments of famous properties; any one-off Vita title Aksys can't release before March 2019 might never make it over here. Drat.

Of course, maybe digital sales are doing better than I thought. But I personally prefer physical copies, since memory cards can only hold so much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aca Vuksa



Joined: 22 Mar 2018
Posts: 542
Location: Nis, Serbia
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
Aw man, I wonder what this means for otome games in the US--Aksys' Vita releases have been doing pretty well, or at least well enough to keep getting more, but they might not do as well if they have to switch to digital-only. There are signs that the Japanese market for otome games is drifting towards the Switch, but that'll probably be for new titles and old installments of famous properties; any one-off Vita title Aksys can't release before March 2019 might never make it over here. Drat.

Of course, maybe digital sales are doing better than I thought. But I personally prefer physical copies, since memory cards can only hold so much.


I do agree with you, Japanese visual novel makers should move to the Nintendo Switch right now. I've seen a lot of visual novel from PC releases are getting an Switch port, so the VN comapies should stick to the Switch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Furuzaki



Joined: 11 Jan 2016
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Vita was discontinued. Shocked
GameStop in my country doesn't even have used ones for sale. Confused
Heck, even Amazon doesn't wanna sell me a Vita.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ssgOverlord



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 88
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
wait the US was still getting physical vita game releases? I find that hard to believe considering my brother and I had to go to a different state just to find some physicals


At the very least Aksys is releasing a VN style game later this month and next month.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3839
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
wait the US was still getting physical vita game releases? I find that hard to believe considering my brother and I had to go to a different state just to find some physicals


Yes they still do so sell physical Vita games......in some places.

Calsolum wrote:
R.I.P. the western vita market.

I mean it was slowly dying but this is just sad.

I wish sony had did a better job of marketing and promoting the vita here, I enjoy my vita alot


Vita's problem was less marketing and promoting and more doing some weird stuff like not letting use use third party memory cards in lieu of their expensive memory cards not really making first party publishers want to flock to the system like they did to the PSP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoonPhase1



Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
wait the US was still getting physical vita game releases? I find that hard to believe considering my brother and I had to go to a different state just to find some physicals


Yes they still do so sell physical Vita games......in some places.

Calsolum wrote:
R.I.P. the western vita market.

I mean it was slowly dying but this is just sad.

I wish sony had did a better job of marketing and promoting the vita here, I enjoy my vita alot


Vita's problem was less marketing and promoting and more doing some weird stuff like not letting use use third party memory cards in lieu of their expensive memory cards not really making first party publishers want to flock to the system like they did to the PSP.


Vita games are just not meant for little Memory Cards if you get it as a download. Many Vita games can rival the size of a PS2 game on a single layer DVD-ROM. Vita needed something similar to like a Hard Drive for storing games on. The Memory Cards are fine for casual players or people who play indie games but not gamers. Switching accounts on Vita feels like a miracle whenever you actually do get it to work.

PSP worked because most games had a physical copy even outside Japan and also not having many patches to the games or lots of DLC that take up more space. 3rd party Memory Cards may have helped it too, but I seriously doubt that it was why it was more successful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CurseTheSky



Joined: 21 Nov 2015
Posts: 236
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
wait the US was still getting physical vita game releases? I find that hard to believe considering my brother and I had to go to a different state just to find some physicals


Limited Run Games, my friend, is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SakuraShimizu



Joined: 16 Oct 2017
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
Moonphase1 wrote:


Vita needed something similar to like a Hard Drive for storing games on. The Memory Cards are fine for casual players or people who play indie games but not gamers. Switching accounts on Vita feels like a miracle whenever you actually do get it to work.

PSP worked because most games had a physical copy even outside Japan and also not having many patches to the games or lots of DLC that take up more space. 3rd party Memory Cards may have helped it too, but I seriously doubt that it was why it was more successful.


If I remember correctly I think the PlayStation TV had a hard drive. With not a lot of memory though. I think it was like 4 gb. I don’t remember since it’s been awhile since I used mine. Which was fantastic btw for playing Vita games on the TV. I have bad eyes so a bigger screen is better.

But I too really like physical editions. Not just because the games take up a lot of memory but like, having a physical copy is just a different feeling. Plus you can let friends borrow it if you want. I hope Japan doesn’t do this too although I highly doubt they will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chester McCool



Joined: 06 Jan 2016
Posts: 322
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Vita's problem was less marketing and promoting and more doing some weird stuff like not letting use use third party memory cards in lieu of their expensive memory cards not really making first party publishers want to flock to the system like they did to the PSP.


The memory card thing wasn't an issue. In fact, that makes the shift to digital-only even worse because you'd need more memory cards to download the game data, rather than just using them for save data.

The reason the Vita failed in the west is most of its games were for gamers/anime fans. Considering Sony of America's marketing tries to appeal to the dudebro audience, and thus competing with the Xbox audience by focusing on stuff like God of War or Last of Us, it's no surprise given the PSP and Vita never had those kinds of games outside a few ports.

It certainly doesn't help most of those anime games never came out in the west, shaving off a huge chunk of the library for western gamers. And then, a lot of ones that did were censored a lot which made people not want to even bother.

Basically, the Vita failed here because of culture difference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoonPhase1



Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
SakuraShimizu wrote:
Moonphase1 wrote:


Vita needed something similar to like a Hard Drive for storing games on. The Memory Cards are fine for casual players or people who play indie games but not gamers. Switching accounts on Vita feels like a miracle whenever you actually do get it to work.

PSP worked because most games had a physical copy even outside Japan and also not having many patches to the games or lots of DLC that take up more space. 3rd party Memory Cards may have helped it too, but I seriously doubt that it was why it was more successful.


If I remember correctly I think the PlayStation TV had a hard drive. With not a lot of memory though. I think it was like 4 gb. I don’t remember since it’s been awhile since I used mine. Which was fantastic btw for playing Vita games on the TV. I have bad eyes so a bigger screen is better.

But I too really like physical editions. Not just because the games take up a lot of memory but like, having a physical copy is just a different feeling. Plus you can let friends borrow it if you want. I hope Japan doesn’t do this too although I highly doubt they will.


PSTV used Memory Cards with 1GB of Internal Memory. Same as a regular Vita. Only difference, some games don’t support PSTV or do but have some features that don’t work with PSTV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3839
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
The memory card thing wasn't an issue.


With the fact that the original standard Vita memory card were 4 or 8 GB's which is nowhere near close to being enough to store digital games on, on top of the cards becoming increasingly expensive per size it kind of was.



Chester McCool wrote:
Considering Sony of America's marketing tries to appeal to the dudebro audience, and thus competing with the Xbox audience by focusing on stuff like God of War or Last of Us, it's no surprise given the PSP and Vita never had those kinds of games outside a few ports.



.....The two God of war games that were on the PSP were not ports nor was the awful Call Of Duty Declassified that dropped on the Vita those were titles designed with their respective platform in mind. But yeah as I mentioned(or tried to) not having much first party support from Sony or Third Party Support from Western publishers hurt the system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group