• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Manga Tells Story of Pokémon Creator Satoshi Tajiri

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness! Someone license this and bring it over right away! I would LOVE to read and own this manga, especially considering Tajiri is autistic, just like I am!!! Very Happy
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will confirm the rumor of whether Tajiri has Asperger's or not. That's been rumored for a long time but was never actually confirmed - I think the original source is, weirdly, an American book that had some sort of profile on him.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Don't they mean Ash Tajiri?
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much of a chance there is for this to get an English release? This just brought up an old memory of choosing to do some kind of assignment or project on him, back when I was in elementary school. Reading about his life in manga form would be pretty neat.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
InimitableUman wrote:
I wonder if this will confirm the rumor of whether Tajiri has Asperger's or not. That's been rumored for a long time but was never actually confirmed - I think the original source is, weirdly, an American book that had some sort of profile on him.

Is this true that Tajiri is austistic? I never heard of it. But boy, this manga related to the story of Tajiri is so cool! I would love to get it one and read his story about his life and pre-Pokemon creation he made it for us!

(sorry for my poor English)
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Is this true that Tajiri is austistic? I never heard of it. But boy, this manga related to the story of Tajiri is so cool! I would love to get it one and read his story about his life and pre-Pokemon creation he made it for us!

(sorry for my poor English)

Well, we don't know. Since it's been rumored for so long, some, like the first poster here, take it as fact, but if you research it you'll find that the original source, like I said, is kind of questionable.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
Jennifer Sherman wrote:
Shogakukan-han Gakushū Manga Special

Though Ms Jennifer Sherman read '小学館版' as 'Shogakukan-han', actually, '版' of '小学館版' is 'ban'.
See the publishing company Shōgakukan itself say, 'ショウガクカンバン (Shōgakukan-ban)' about a companion series of educational manga whose titles have the same words '小学館版'.
https://www.bookshop-ps.com/bsp/bsp_detail?isbn=4092701039

As to the reason why the reading of the kanji 版 in this case is 'ban', study rendaku.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5022836#5022836
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5023715#5023715
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
InimitableUman wrote:

I looked into it a while back. As best as I can tell, the original source was an English-language MySpace page that claimed to be his, with one note at the bottom saying "I have been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome" or suchlike -- I can't find the webpage that had a copy of the text. The original page has been down for years and years; last time I checked, there were a bunch of other Satoshi Tajiri pages there. I'm reluctant to take it as authoritative, especially since he hasn't exactly been active on social media otherwise.

A Pokemon fan* added the claim to his Wikipedia page around 2005, and from there it seems to have undergone citogenesis. The book you're referring to, I believe, is a 42-page junior biography published in 2009; I checked it out from Inter-Library Loan, and while there were a couple pages of citations, none was provided for this claim, which was referred to several times in the main text.

All that said, autism does seem consistent with the known facts about Tajiri. And certainly, the MySpace page could've been his. I'm chalking it down as a maybe.

*When I checked, he was still active in the fandom and on Twitter; I considered asking him about the Wikipedia note, but decided it wasn't worth it for an edit he'd made a decade before. As for the biography's author, Lori Mortensen, I'm sure she's been badgered about the question enough already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1