• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dead or Alive 6 Tones Down Characters' Sexuality

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm into guys so if I want fan service I'll play Street Fighter.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Now they just have to make a fighting game actually worth playing, & they might make it in e-sports! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Reining in the worst excesses, getting the franchise back to, say, DOA2 levels, would be fine with me. Would be nice to see a similar rebalancing of Soul Calibur, which has insisted on pushing its women characters up a cup size every installment (poor Taki and Sophitia!).

I'm sure someone's gonna bust out a "ess jay double-u's runin' mah games", but seriously, watch the damn trailer: Helena's still sporting ample cleavage and wearing lace stockings as she fights. Hunky/sweaty Jann Lee vs Zack probably does plenty for the hot guys crowd too. Point being: this is still plenty sexy. When the game turns into frumpy middle-age characters in sweatpants lecturing the player about the dialectic, then you can panic.
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So how are they going to make money? Seeing as their business is mostly made up of selling hundreds of risque DLC costumes.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
lol wtf. This isn't Dead or Alive then. Also what's wrong with boobs bouncing? They do that. Should at least be costume options to add/remove "Support". This isn't even a sexist thing, lots of females love these games. Game looked like a letdown anyway. Seemed like they were trying too hard to be "Cool". Admitting, I skipped 5 so maybe all the slow motion rotating cameras are not new, but it's lame and tryhard.

Last edited by Kougeru on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Saw this earlier and established my fears, being influenced by American comics and and movies is very concerning considering the state both are in at the moment. I find the excuse flimsy but if they want to go after a crowd who feel some sort of shame in playing a game with sexy girls and guys (but mainly girls) by all means abandon a core part of your audience.

I love the sexiness of it, was an added bonus on top of the, for me, best gameplay of a fighter. Hell even the 3DS game was fab and that had less sexiness than most other entries.

I am on the fence as to whether to buy this now, I sincerely hope they do a 180 and go back to what the fans love and ignore the calls from certain groups.

No doubt the regressive western gaming media will love this, they always treated the series depictions of sexy women with disdain and their ilk are part of the reason we never got DOAX3 over here (thank the lord for the Asia version).
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Not even interested in these games, but when a series that is most well-known for its gratuituous fanservice decides to tone it down, something is wrong. I say screw the haters and make it even more risque than before.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh great. Thats gonna cost them a loss a lot of their buyers, the fan service is all those perverts want playing this game series.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
Not even interested in these games

Then you're missing out. DOA games have a nice 8-way run system that uses the environment (like Soul Calibur and unlike the flat Street Fighter and its many derivatives), and a nifty system of reversals that rewards luring your opponent into being overaggressive and then punishing them for their foolishness (far more powerful than ordinary blocks in other fighting games).
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Team Ninja says that they are following the US comic book industry by moving away from sexy female characters which is an odd decision to make since the US comic book industry has been shrinking for the last several years. The feminists will give them some faint praise for removing boob physics from the game engine but they are making the DOA franchise look like all of the other gritty fighting games. The boob jiggle and the sexy outfits were defining features of the DOA franchise.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't DOA5 originally toned down too but then feedback led to bigger breasts later on?

I wouldn't be surprised if default or tournament only models (primarily for eSports) are these toned down versions but they bring back the sexier versions for individual gameplay (or paid DLC)

Also amusing that current American comics are used as a source of inspiration for appearance. Not too familiar with the subject but isn't 'ComicsGate' a reason why Marvel decided to cancel a bunch of titles that failed and sold terribly?
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
lol wtf. This isn't Dead or Alive then. Also what's wrong with boobs bouncing? They do that.
Male chests bounce too, to a lesser degree, but you don't exactly see game devs (or players) tripping over themselves to have that included for the sake of "realism." Just sayin'.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Team Ninja don’t pander to progressive western ideology it will not end well for you because when you give in to a small but very vocal minority (who don’t buy your games in the first place and never will) you will lose your entire fan base the ones who shell out every last dime for your games and other merchandise the very fans who supported you since the beginning and made you what you are today and if you lose them then you really will be just like the current US comic industry.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Lol they said the same back when DoA5 was in development, so I doubt this will stick.

Whatever happens I'm not buying it, the dlc in DoA5 was disgusting.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Also amusing that current American comics are used as a source of inspiration for appearance. Not too familiar with the subject but isn't 'ComicsGate' a reason why Marvel decided to cancel a bunch of titles that failed and sold terribly?
There are a lot of issues with the US comic book industry but even when ignoring the political issues the obsession with the male gaze, objectification, and toxic masculinity has made much of the industry openly hostile to the male readers that make up the majority of readers. The US comic book industry is like a store that keeps spitting in the faces of their customers and than wondering why their sales are going down. It is baffling that Team Ninja is using them as an example for why they are removing boob jiggle and sexy outfits from the DOA franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4