• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ponoc's Modest Heroes Anime Anthology Film Unveils 1st Animated Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
All of them look fantastic. I definitely want to see those on a big screen – and I'll probably have the chance to do so! The art and animation is so beautiful in all three films and with the exception of the big fish, the CGI blends in really well.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
So Ponoc is using celebrities to do the voice overs instead of professional voice actors? Very Miyazaki-like. Unfortunately, that's not a good thing whatsoever. The problem with Ghibli movies is that after Porco Rosso, they all had sub par voice acting. Seems they only did it for money and not because they loved the art of voice acting.

Why would one imitate the worst thing about Ghibli?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I heartily disagree and feel that the usage of real actors instead of anime seiyuu makes the dubs of the Ghibli movies much more unique. And it's not so uncommon for movies, either – see Sword of the Stranger, Giovanni's Island, In This Corner of the World among others. Some of my favorite anime voice acting roles only have a single anime role.

It eludes me why you think that Ghibli did it "for the money" when popular seiyuu (celebrities in their own way, so to speak) in anime and video games are usually used as a point to promote the work and the anime works that don't rely on these actors are usually much less commercial in nature. If you do a bit of research, you can also find pretty detailed interviews and background stories that explain why a certain person was chosen for the role.

As for the "art of voice acting", I personally think that the industry has a pretty big problem because voice acting is a business that – much like Japan's (pop/rock) music industry – heavily relies on the "idolization" of the actors who are also singers, models, appear on stage and hold fan events. Obviously there are many talented voice actors out there, but it would be delusional to assume that it's purely about talent (or "art"), and I believe we would see a lot more variety if that was the case.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
All of them look fantastic. I definitely want to see those on a big screen – and I'll probably have the chance to do so! The art and animation is so beautiful in all three films and with the exception of the big fish, the CGI blends in really well.

Seconding this. Loved that trailer, all three look great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1