• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
This volume was fine, but i agree that the novel would be more interesting for me. The reviewer also raises a good point that for the supposed "villain" of an otome game, she doesn't act very villainous in the slightest. Not a bad story, but would like to see some more substantial writing.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The key part of the synopsis that may not have come through clearly in the manga is that she "awoke" to her Japan memories while the game scenario was already in the sequence of her defeat. She's the "villain" of an otome game, so that's essentially the equivalent of calling a bully the villain of a bullied kid's high school story - yes, she is the villain in the story where a poor girl who falls in love with a prince, but you can't really equate her role to, say, the villain of a hero story being the demon lord who's trying to destroy the planet.

Yeah, this first volume didn't really go anywhere yet, so it's not a great first impression :X I really loved some of the developments that came later, though, I was legitimately shocked at one of the reveals.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(rules for driver hours and health being nonexistent in manga)

Truck-kun gives no ****s about rules.

Quote:
The fact that none of her retainers/friends, who have known her since their mutual childhoods, remarks on how she seems different or asks anything about what really brought on her sudden knowledge of finance and urge to put it to use smacks of underdeveloped writing.

Her mother and father discuss how she's changed and her father even uses it to justify putting her in charge of the fief. At the very least that would indicate that she's supposed to be educated enough to do the job. She's also supposed to be motivated to do well because she's trying to atone for her misdeeds at school. All things being equal it really doesn't require much suspension of belief relative to other anime/manga.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The catch? She's not always the heroine.

Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these otome-game stories where she was the heroine. Villainess seems to be the standard, going back at least to 2013. (This particular story started early 2015; my personal favorite, "All Routes Lead to Doom! My Next Life as a Villainess", started in mid-2014.)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these otome-game stories where she was the heroine.

The only one I know is Obsessions of an Otome Gamer, which Cross Infinite World is releasing digitally. I probably should have phrased things to reflect that.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
Not the best review. Definitely one of the better buys for the year.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The only one I know is Obsessions of an Otome Gamer, which Cross Infinite World is releasing digitally. I probably should have phrased things to reflect that.

Ah, I'm not familiar with that one! Hmm... looks like it started early 2014.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a shame that the manga seems to gloss over a lot of character building details, because this sounds like something I'd be interested in. Having said that, I suspect that the best way to get the novels sold here is probably to support the title in its manga incarnation first, so here's hoping later volumes end up adapting the story with fewer issues. ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1