• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Weekly Cosplay - EscoBlades Takes on Black Panther's Mantle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aodmisery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
interesting new article. however i hope it doesn't turn into a weekly cosplay article of scantly clad women. Not that i don't enjoy that but there's plenty of other places to look that up.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow. They did an amazing job here.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
? What's this have to do with anime?
RocketJew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:

Seconded.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
RocketJew wrote:
Gator Gamer wrote:

Seconded.

The one thing it has that is remotely-related with such is explained in the opening "Weekly Cosplay is open to all fandom characters, whether its anime, manga, video games, or American comics."
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I believe this site is called "AnimeNewsNetwork" they get mad at us when we go off topic on a forum, but they themselves continue to post off-topic posts like this.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of a cosplay feature, but I think it should stick to anime. This is Anime News Network.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
I believe this site is called "AnimeNewsNetwork" they get mad at us when we go off topic on a forum, but they themselves continue to post off-topic posts like this.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
I like the idea of a cosplay feature, but I think it should stick to anime. This is Anime News Network.

You both have a point, but....

Cosplay at this point has become very broad. It was a term that was originality associated with simple japan media culture (Anime, Manga, LN's, VN's etc.) but as long since outstripped that association. To cover it means grabbing a VERY large portion of nerd culture in general, which also includes movies, comics, cartoons, streaming media (like RWBY) and the like.
I don't think that when you cover cosplay you can get around that by covering what is a rather small niche (Anime, Manga, LN's, VN's etc.) in a large collection of niches that is nerd culture. I rather that they don't.

It one of those things were I prefer to have a glimpse at the full picture of "What is Nerd culture?". Cosplay has been one of those avenues for a very long time now.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Weekly Cosplay is open to all fandom characters, whether its anime, manga, video games, or American comics.

I'd rather it wasn't honestly, as another poster here said:

ninjamitsuki wrote:
This is Anime News Network.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:
-SP- wrote:

ninjamitsuki wrote:

You both have a point, but....

Cosplay at this point has become very broad. It was a term that was originality associated with simple japan media culture (Anime, Manga, LN's, VN's etc.) but as long since outstripped that association. To cover it means grabbing a VERY large portion of nerd culture in general, which also includes movies, comics, cartoons, streaming media (like RWBY) and the like.
I don't think that when you cover cosplay you can get around that by covering what is a rather small niche (Anime, Manga, LN's, VN's etc.) in a large collection of niches that is nerd culture. I rather that they don't.

It one of those things were I prefer to have a glimpse at the full picture of "What is Nerd culture?". Cosplay has been one of those avenues for a very long time now.

This was also my view when putting together the feature. I understand that everyone isn't going to feel the same way about including American comic characters, but I'm interested in these profiles appealing to a broad audience. There will still be plenty of characters from Japanese media featured, too, but an occasional superhero or Hellboy might show up too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

While that is a valid point, let's consider this: every U.S. and Canadian anime con should only have anime/light novel/visual novel/manga-related content. Good luck with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1