• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kemono Friends Season 2 Anime Reveals Visual With Serval, New Character

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
This looks horrible. Not in a chunky, yet visually still pleasing way, but in a more professional, yet cheap and lazy, unpleasant way.
Not to mention that hardly looks like Serval in the first place thanks to a more generic approach.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It is as if we are seeing an item of intellectual property laid bare, stripped of any qualities that made it endearing. The husk of a brand sold as fruit, as it were.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I was feeling kinda conflicted about Kemono Friends S2. I loved S1, so on one hand more KF is good, but then there was the way Nexon/Kadokawa dumped the creators, so on the other hand I kinda don't want to watch it on principle.
But now this new visual, uh, isn't exactly pushing the balance toward watching it :/
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, to echo everyone else, this looks soulless.

Sure Season 1 was janky, but it was charmingly janky.

This just screams an attempt by a corporation to recapture what people loved about the first season without knowing a single god damn thing about what it was people liked about the first season.

Also, where the god damn hell are their necks?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This whole situation is just so weird. A moe-animal-girls show with clunky animation becomes wildly successful through a combination of clever writing and internet memes. Then, instead of throwing money and resources at the team so they can potentially make a better sequel, the producers(?) fire the writer/director along with the entire studio so they can, apparently, turn it into generic cute-girl anime number eleventy billion.

We can't know for sure what will happen next, but if they were hoping to make lightning strike twice with this show... well, they seem to have ordered a hundred tons of rubber instead of lightning rods. How did this happen? Do they really not understand that they've thrown out the exact things that made the show popular? Do they have no respect for the fans at all, and think people just liked the cute characters so nothing else matters? Or do they actually expect this to work, and just don't realize that if you don't get why people like something you've created, you probably shouldn't make drastic changes to it?

The reaction to this when it comes out will be... interesting. When even I'm getting on the preemptive hate bandwagon, for a show I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with, things aren't looking good. It probably doesn't even matter whether season 2 turns out to be "objectively" good, the politics have turned most of the fans against it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I've never even seen the original Kemono Friends and even I can tell this new character looks far too generic and lifeless.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
They need to keep the irony and awareness of their resources to keep this show with its initial charm but if that's not the way this season goes, it simply needs to be a consistent visually and in the script which will be difficult for a series that didn't head in that direction.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
What's sad to me is there are a lot of fan made mmd or video game mods that totally work with the stylings of the original and would be easy and perfect for the sequel's production, but somehow they still managed to screw up the character designs. Very odd.
HannoX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I still plan to watch the first episode of Season 2 if it's on one of the streaming services I subscribe to, but leaning towards not watching the rest. If nothing else, that way I can hate on it with reason (besides the terrible way the director and studio of the original were treated).
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
Great, they have made it bland. I cannot feel anything from this that made the original so popular in the first place.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
HannoX wrote:
I still plan to watch the first episode of Season 2 if it's on one of the streaming services I subscribe to, but leaning towards not watching the rest. If nothing else, that way I can hate on it with reason (besides the terrible way the director and studio of the original were treated).

To be fair, I (and many other eventual fans) thought the first season wasn't worth watching based on the first episode. However, now that we know what we want, it's probably safe to drop early.

I feel bad for the seiyuu on this, especially any brought on to replace original cast members if replacements do happen.
HannoX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
To be fair, I (and many other eventual fans) thought the first season wasn't worth watching based on the first episode. However, now that we know what we want, it's probably safe to drop early.

I originally dropped the first season after watching the first episode. However, after hearing good things about it I went back and binge watched the first three episodes and was hooked. I've now watched the first season twice.
Mr.Bunn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Also, where the god damn hell are their necks?

There necks are being covered by there bows
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1