• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GaoGaiGar, Betterman Get Crossover Web Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
All this has me wondering if an animated version is in the cards eventually, but frankly I kind of dread it, since I can't help but imagine it'd probably be relegated to CG robots - nobody but Gundam gets the hand drawn treatment anymore. With the recent Planet With and Full Metal Panic, I'm just constantly left thinking, boy, even though it's good, it obviously would be better with hand drawn robots, rather than barely matching marionettes clanking into each other.

Well, here's hoping whatever happens, it's good.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original story is a crossover between Sunrise's Gaogaigar and Betterman anime franchises.

It isn't really a "crossover" in the traditional sense since Betterman is already a spin off of the GaoGaiGar franchise and not its own franchise. That's a fairly important piece of context that's missing from the article.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome... was always so bummed that Final had a downer ending and that the anime version of this project had been canned... hopefully this means they're testing the waters to revive the anime version!
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
SOMEONE HAD BETTER TRANSLATE THIS FREAKING MANGA IN ENGLISH!! Very Happy
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original story is a crossover between Sunrise's Gaogaigar and Betterman anime franchises.

Even though Betterman takes place in the same universe as GaoGaiGar... OK.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
Man, GaoGaiGar got such a raw deal in the US.

First MediaBlasters put it on the backrow in favor of releasing Voltron--when that blew up, they just tossed the second half of the series out the window without a dub. Then Disney Anime hyper passed up on GGG at the eleventh hour. Then we never got GaoGaiGar FINAL.

This'll probably never come stateside, and that breaks my heart.
Cabron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
And as usual the other Yuusha/Brave shows get nothing.
They need some love as well you know.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:
And as usual the other Yuusha/Brave shows get nothing.
They need some love as well you know.

Fighbird did have the “Is this a ___” meme. Better than nothing.

This just makes me sad, especially with what happened with the R1 releases, in favor of Voltron DVD’s that didn’t sell. (Kinda like everything Voltron since the 80’s when you think about it, including the latest non-selling merchandise train wreck). Oh what could have been.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Everytime I see that Discotek has licensed something I find myself hoping it's GaoGaiGar.
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Everytime I see that Discotek has licensed something I find myself hoping it's GaoGaiGar.

I mean, Discotek is licensing Voltes V of all things and that was a show that I used to watch when I was young. So, I'd say that all bets are off. My second pick would be Nozomi. Since they've been licensing Gundam series out the wazoo, it would be cool to see them break the mold and re-release not just GaoGaiGar and its OVA sequel, but every other shows in the Yuusha series as well. Here's hoping that a Blu-ray release outside of Japan will see the light of day. Shine on!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1