Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 3




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GoldCrusader



Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Posts: 872
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
B- for the story and B for the art? This is a bad take.

With how high both season peaks in term of plot point with All Might's last moment and Bakugo vs Deku and Mirio's entrance. Plus the license exam is full of great character moment for all of class 1A. This score is way too low.

And while it add a few awkward moments in the second half, the art in general was incredibly strong.

Nick is always super harsh in his reviews and scores lower then most, but still this is extreme imo. At the very least the written part is good, even if some part I don't agree with.

Also pretty sure he scored the same story like B+ in his manga reviews lol. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edit: I went and looked at the manga review for 11, 12 and 13. They sre scored A+, B+ and A- for story. How did it drop so much? It's the same story no?


Last edited by GoldCrusader on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatehaki



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 869
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Did Nick do the review for the manga or someone else?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoldCrusader



Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Posts: 872
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Did Nick do the review for the manga or someone else?

Yes he reviews the manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zeino



Joined: 19 May 2017
Posts: 458
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This is where the My Hero Academia anime adaptation was always going to hit a snag as a seasonal anime. If it had been a continuing thought out the year sort of thing like say One Piece, then the relative lacklusterness of the License Exam arc could be passed on by for the next big arc it serves to set up without too much issue. (Not that said approach doesn't have it's own problems too.)

Perhaps it would have better if Season 3 had only been 13 episodes once again rather then let the season end on anticlimactic note and moved the second half to the start of Season 4 where it might have work better as lead in to the fantastic Overhaul arc.


Last edited by Zeino on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1700
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Season 3 is the one I ended up rating the highest out of the three seasons. I thought I'd like season 2 better but it turned out I liked it as much as season 1, because I'm honestly just not much of a fan of the Stain arc I suppose.

The Provisional Exam arc wasn't all that good and the filler was terrible, but this season managed to have enough highlights to overshadow that. All Might vs Deku Mom and Bakugo vs Midoriya were my favorite moments - more so than All For One vs One For All, which I liked all right but that's all on All Might's shoulders unlike the other conflicts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gasero



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 826
Location: MI, USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering how dynamic and impressive My Hero has been compared to all other shonen manga, I am really surprised that the reviewer would only give MHA season 3 a 'B' overall. What else is so great that it matches up to the dynamic emotion paces and character growth observed in MHA? Please don't say One Piece or Naruto.

I enjoyed the second half of season 3 more than I did the first half. The lack of action setpieces in the 2nd half was more than compensated for in the way that characters interacted with each other and how different characters matured. The encounter between Midoriya, Bakugo, and All Might towards the end of the season is one of the most heart wrenching moments I had ever witnessed in an anime (shonen or otherwise).

Also, GANG ORCA!

I am very excited to see how MHA continues this winning streak of episodes in the next season.

killjoy_the wrote:
All Might vs Deku Mom and Bakugo vs Midoriya were my favorite moments - more so than All For One vs One For All

All Might vs Deku mom was one of the most tense battles of the series. I did not know who would make it out of that fight alive. So much emotion! All Might vs One for All wasn't even close to that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
xzy123



Joined: 07 Sep 2015
Posts: 140
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Considering how dynamic and impressive My Hero has been compared to all other shonen manga, I am really surprised that the reviewer would only give MHA season 3 a 'B' overall. What else is so great that it matches up to the dynamic emotion paces and character growth observed in MHA? Please don't say One Piece or Naruto.

I enjoyed the second half of season 3 more than I did the first half. The lack of action setpieces in the 2nd half was more than compensated for in the way that characters interacted with each other and how different characters matured. The encounter between Midoriya, Bakugo, and All Might towards the end of the season is one of the most heart wrenching moments I had ever witnessed in an anime (shonen or otherwise).

Also, GANG ORCA!

I am very excited to see how MHA continues this winning streak of episodes in the next season.

killjoy_the wrote:
All Might vs Deku Mom and Bakugo vs Midoriya were my favorite moments - more so than All For One vs One For All

All Might vs Deku mom was one of the most tense battles of the series. I did not know who would make it out of that fight alive. So much emotion! All Might vs One for All wasn't even close to that.


Wow mom vs father so good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AdoubleRon



Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Momma bear always wins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eddy564



Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 204
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Considering how dynamic and impressive My Hero has been compared to all other shonen manga, I am really surprised that the reviewer would only give MHA season 3 a 'B' overall. What else is so great that it matches up to the dynamic emotion paces and character growth observed in MHA? Please don't say One Piece or Naruto.

I enjoyed the second half of season 3 more than I did the first half. The lack of action setpieces in the 2nd half was more than compensated for in the way that characters interacted with each other and how different characters matured. The encounter between Midoriya, Bakugo, and All Might towards the end of the season is one of the most heart wrenching moments I had ever witnessed in an anime (shonen or otherwise).

Also, GANG ORCA!

I am very excited to see how MHA continues this winning streak of episodes in the next season.

killjoy_the wrote:
All Might vs Deku Mom and Bakugo vs Midoriya were my favorite moments - more so than All For One vs One For All

All Might vs Deku mom was one of the most tense battles of the series. I did not know who would make it out of that fight alive. So much emotion! All Might vs One for All wasn't even close to that.


One Piece is literally an acclaimed manga in its own right. And Naruto, while not as acclaimed as OP, still has been heavily praised for its character development and emotional story beats. Do not be one of those new generation Shonen fans that are quick to write off older classics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group