• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yamaha Will Release New Record Players After 27 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh neat I always wanted to get a record player *sips water* wonder how much it'll cost-*Spits out water*
Ok so what the actual hell???
Who's the target audience for this? Freaking Upper Class only? I can pay my rent or car insurance with that. I need to pay my rent and car insurance so I can't afford that.
I don't know squat about the market price for these things but has Yamaha always been this obscenely expensive and most importantly is it worth it?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Old news if you are plugged into the Audio world.

New turntables vary wildly in cost and even more wildly in terms of build quality. Most of the reasonably priced ones are from Hanpin in China / Taiwan or Eastern Europe. A table made in Japan will be much more costly as there are no existing production lines and tooling will have to be done. See the new Technics direct drive table for what that would cost.

Based on the appearance of the Yamaha it looks like it may have been sourced from China.

Turntables were always fairly expensive. I'm lucky to have gotten two in the past 5 years for reasonable cost.

Mark Gosdin
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Emile Berliner (5/20/1851-8/31929) was a German Jewish inventor, per the Wikipedia page called "Berliner Gramophone", "received U.S. patents 372,786 and 382,790 on the Gramophone on November 8, 1887, and May 15, 1888, respectively." His first patent came out just over 11 months before the release of a 2.11 sec. short that is generally considered the "first movie". For the record, that short is "Roundhay Garden Scene", which came out on 10/14/1888. It was directed by a French artist named Louis Le Prince (he was born on 8/28/1841 but he disappeared on 9/16/1890).

Note: While Edison did have an earlier for phonograph players, Berliner was the one that got the earliest patents to the phonograph record/gramophone record discs, which played what is commonly referred to as a "vinyl record".
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy records are making a comeback. I grew up with them and enjoyed them a lot and I missed them. To me,they have a place alongside CDs and cassette tapes. Smile What else will return? I don't know and I hope that the return of records is a long one.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
There is just soemthign relaxingand enjoyable about the sound of vinyl records.

I'd likely look for an older one ratehr than a newer one just casue they rise in vlaue with age if in good condition.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:22 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this happens often, but the soundtrack to Banana Fish was released on vinyl. I don't have an interest in it myself (tapes are cooler), but doing this for Banana Fish seems like something neat that connects the manga's time to the anime's time.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I don't know if this happens often, but the soundtrack to Banana Fish was released on vinyl. I don't have an interest in it myself (tapes are cooler), but doing this for Banana Fish seems like something neat that connects the manga's time to the anime's time.
In a way tape would of been more appropriate to it's time than Vinyl, given than tape was very modern in the 80s, while vinyl was old even then.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
Interesting article.
I also enjoy the occasional LP. Vinyl does have a tangible element to it, but it is also very Fragile, and older albums are prone to warping if not handled or stored properly.

I don't see myself buying new Turntables for 3 reasons.. 1st... I have several direct drive players that I have acquired from yard sales over the years and they work great. 2.. the cost of admission for the new players.. and 3 I do not actively purchase new releases on Vinyl. All my records are from 40's to the 80's and acquired at aforementioned yard sales... Smile
Temuthril

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Oh neat I always wanted to get a record player *sips water* wonder how much it'll cost-*Spits out water*
Who's the target audience for this? Freaking Upper Class only? I can pay my rent or car insurance with that. I need to pay my rent and car insurance so I can't afford that.
I don't know squat about the market price for these things but has Yamaha always been this obscenely expensive and most importantly is it worth it?

It's inherently a niche product. Casual listeners would just start Spotify on their smart phones.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

Believe it or not, in the audio world those are actually fairly inexpensive turntables. My turntable cartridge (the tiny little thing at the end of the tone arm that contains the needle) cost about $2K, and that was more than 15 years ago. That's to say nothing about the turntable itself...

Is it worth it? I think so. I get far more pleasure out of that than I do from many other things people buy these days. I always scratch my head over how much people pay for the latest smartphone & the associated contract. I think that's nuts. But I'm sure most people think the turntable is nuts too. I guess it all depends on what you like.

I did think it was a bit ironic that the turntable would digitally share the music to other devices. What's the point of having an analog audio source if you're going to bork up the signal encoding it for transmission? I guess it's for people who like the ritual and the look of using a turntable but don't care that much about the sound?

I haven't looked at new turntables in years, but the last I did the best bang for your buck, in my opinion, were Rega in the UK.

Anyway, it is nice to see some new TTs being made again. Hopefully the interest in retro audio will go back a bit further. Ironically, home audio has actually been getting worse since around the 1960's and 70's. Those big reel-to-reel tapes were inconvenient, but they had/have better dynamic range than records, cassettes, CDs, DVD, Blu-Ray, and nearly any digital format that is in common use. For the most part, ever since reel-to-reel, modern formats have been trading off sound quality in exchange for convenience. The only real exceptions are dead niche formats like SACD, and while those were marginally better than CD they still weren't as good as reel-to-reel.
Violynne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Who's the target audience for this?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. Wink

The cost of vinyl records is far higher than those I purchased decades ago, so it's clearly not "targeted" to just anyone, but those who find analog recording better than digital.

Given today's digital noise pollution sold as "music", it's no wonder analog is making a comeback.

Loudness at 100%? That's just stupid.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
But why opt for a premium device such as this when Parappa has you covered?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Who's the target audience for this? Freaking Upper Class only?

Yes. Everyone that wants music to listen to because they want to hear a cool song or hear their favorite tracks (without literally having to walk up to a machine to play a song from a different album) just streams or buys CDs. This is specifically made for people who reject modern conveniences, have a music fetish, and see no issue with paying top dollar for this.

I think all digital entertainment art is coming to this. Most people will consume it digitally but there will always be a small market that must have a physical product and they will pay top dollar for it. This is that happening for music.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Yes. Everyone that wants music to listen to because they want to hear a cool song or hear their favorite tracks (without literally having to walk up to a machine to play a song from a different album) just streams or buys CDs. This is specifically made for people who reject modern conveniences, have a music fetish, and see no issue with paying top dollar for this.

I think all digital entertainment art is coming to this. Most people will consume it digitally but there will always be a small market that must have a physical product and they will pay top dollar for it. This is that happening for music.

You're not wrong about market trends, but I find it honestly confusing from the audio side. Convenience is nice, but it's not so nice when the sound suffers as a result of it. I'll stream music when I'm traveling or working, but if I actually want to listen to music streaming is a bit silly I think. Why take that huge hit in sound quality to stream on your phone or PC speakers when you can make your favorite music sound so much better?

To use a video analogy, it's like having the ability to watch your favorite movie in 4K but choosing to watch a highly compressed 320x200 streaming video instead. Is the convenience even worth the tradeoff?

Buying that record player for enjoying music is no different than choosing to watch videos or play games on a full-size TV instead of on your phone screen.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
To use a video analogy, it's like having the ability to watch your favorite movie in 4K but choosing to watch a highly compressed 320x200 streaming video instead. Is the convenience even worth the tradeoff?

In that case no... but that case is extreme audiophile hyperbole. In a case based at least somewhat in reality, yes.

Random poll: How many people here think that the audio quality of iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Pandora, and every professional music streaming service delivers not just unacceptable audio quality, but it's actually unlistenable? It's the "200p" of audio quality?

Your whole argument is hinged on the idea that streaming services provide unlistenable audio quality at best so why would anyone want that? Duh, nobody would want that and it's why to product isn't even remotely like that!

Plus, I said people with a music fetish (I should have used audiophile, but I went for something more colorful) would love this. If you think all music streaming is 200p at best (some of this is lossless streaming at higher than CD sample/bit-rates), you're definitely an audiophile. Folk like you seeing a great point and usefuleness is exactly how I said it'd play out.

Quote:
Buying that record player for enjoying music is no different than choosing to watch videos or play games on a full-size TV instead of on your phone screen.

That's bullocks. You've implied that streaming audio is tied to poor quality systems/speakers and vinyl is tied to high quality speakers/sound systems. This isn't true and it colors the analogy. Audio isn't like video where it's really just the TV and you're good. You need way more parts. To keep up the analogies, you can't stream something to a less than SD TV then watch a blu-ray on a 4k TV and be like it being streamed was the source of all the woes as opposed to that garbage ass sub SD TV you watched.

A better analogy is that it's like streaming Netflix in HD on your tv or watching a blu-ray on that same TV. There are videophiles who will make that case that everything on Netflix, Amazon, Google Play etc is like the 8-bit/22kHZ of video too. They come of just as fringe as people saying every music streaming platforms maxes out at being the 200p of audio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2