• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Director Reveals He Often Works 60 Hours in 4 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Seriously these type of stories are becoming more common and all of this working conditions with such a low pay salary and lack of health and social care, why is this even allowed?

It is no wonder there is an animator shortage, this does not encourage them to try it and with ever more anime on demand and less workforce this whole industry is on the breaking point of a production bubble crash.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
... With this kind of schedule, I think I'm starting to understand why the Gundam SEED subseries ended up being a train wreck. Man, not to mention his wife died a couple of years back.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I think you mistranslated this.

He's saying that a female production manager (seisaku shinkou) currently has this schedule, and that while things used to be this way for him back in his day, he's shocked that it's still this way now.

So no, this isn't his schedule now.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah....as much as I hate to say this, as a young project civil engineer, many of my peers and I are working on this kind of insane schedule (right now California is in a construction boom), and given as an anime director he probably had better pay than most of people. I find it very hard to sympathize him.

Animators on the other hand, deserve as much sympathy and respect they can get. Low pay and low social recognition, only for their love of animation. Now THAT is something common working class can relate

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Yeah....as much as I hate to say this, as a young project civil engineer, many of my peers and I are working on this kind of insane schedule (right now California is in a construction boom), and given as an anime director he probably had better pay than most of people. I find it very hard to sympathize him.

So you're just willing to lie back and accept it? The only way this garbage changes is if people get pissed about it and organize against it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
Good on Fukuda for speaking up against this kind of exploitative shit. Even if Seed Destiny was not really a good series at all (albeit I'd still put over the likes of Zeta, Char's Counterattack, 0083 and Victory) I've always been on his side simply for the fact that he and his late script writer wife were viciously and unfairly crucified in the court of public opinion by spiteful Western Gundam fandom for daring to make a series they didn't like. This just gives me a bit more respect for him. And yeah, things need to change. It isn't right to treat any worker like that at all.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
well, Sunrise was making a lot of gundams lately, probably Gundam Nt's the culprit that she's been working on that crazy nmber of hours.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:47 am Reply with quote
This and the recent my sister, my writer staff tweets.
I sense the times are a changing.
Cabron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
The irony is too strong with this one.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why the Japanese government doesn't take a more active role in regulating these extreme overwork practices that businesses continue to get away with in spite of a large public outcry against it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
Cleaned up the thread. Let's keep it on topic and avoid responding to trollish posts please.
MadHi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
... With this kind of schedule, I think I'm starting to understand why the Gundam SEED subseries ended up being a train wreck. Man, not to mention his wife died a couple of years back.

Obligatory SEED whining didn't take long. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1