• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Rising of The Shield Hero Anime Unveils More Cast, January 9 Debut, Half-Year Length, 2nd

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
Yes!!! Two cours FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
Two cours worth of episodes and an hour long episode that is worth 2 1/2 by itself, this is the best course to take to adapt the first arc. Thank you Crunchyroll and Kinema Citrus Smile

P.S Yes i said thanks to crunchy as they co produced this.
Changeman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Two cours worth of episodes and an hour long episode that is worth 2 1/2 by itself, this is the best course to take to adapt the first arc. Thank you Crunchyroll and Kinema Citrus Smile

So you should also thank the AT-X channel (since the anime will be broadcast first on this channel so they had a big part in the production.

you should also also support the Tokyo MX, BS 11 channel also and even the Hikari streaming and even Kadokawa

There is no reason to be grateful only to crunchyroll when an anime is made by production committee system. This is belittling all other contributors. Are they inferior because they are Japanese? and Crunchyroll is superior because it is Western? We do not even know how much it contributed to the production, it may have been less than 10% of the total value or just bought streaming rights to the West., in return we know that there were several Japanese companies involved.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

So you should also thank the AT-X channel (since the anime will be broadcast first on this channel so they had a big part in the production.

you should also also support the Tokyo MX, BS 11 channel also and even the Hikari streaming and even Kadokawa

There is no reason to be grateful only to crunchyroll when an anime is made by production committee system. This is belittling all other contributors. Are they inferior because they are Japanese? and Crunchyroll is superior because it is Western? We do not even know how much it contributed to the production, it may have been less than 10% of the total value or just bought streaming rights to the West., in return we know that there were several Japanese companies involved.

I believe you overreacting and exaggerating too much. Just because someone is thanking CR doesn't mean they are belittling the other contributor so calm down.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
So awesome to hear that it will have 2cour because this type of work needs that many episodes to really get us into the whole story, because with 1cour you usualy just barely scratch the surface....
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

In the case of Shield Hero, this is certainly more than just "CR became a committee to bypass the competition" meme as can be attested from the interview with the producer.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/12/04-1/shirobako-is-what-i-do-chatting-with-junichiro-tamura-at-crunchyroll-expo

Quote:

Could you talk about how The Rising of the Shield Hero might be different from other simulcasts from Crunchyroll?

JT: The Rising of the Shield Hero is very special to Crunchyroll, because it’s the first project that Crunchyroll was able to select and license the source IP. Generally from past co-productions, we were introduced to other companies, so we had no choice in the matter for what we wanted to make. So hopefully, Crunchyroll can keep working with KADOKAWA to make more shows that will probably be more successful overseas.
Changeman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Changeman wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

In the case of Shield Hero, this is certainly more than just "CR became a committee to bypass the competition" meme as can be attested from the interview with the producer.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/12/04-1/shirobako-is-what-i-do-chatting-with-junichiro-tamura-at-crunchyroll-expo

Quote:

Could you talk about how The Rising of the Shield Hero might be different from other simulcasts from Crunchyroll?

JT: The Rising of the Shield Hero is very special to Crunchyroll, because it’s the first project that Crunchyroll was able to select and license the source IP. Generally from past co-productions, we were introduced to other companies, so we had no choice in the matter for what we wanted to make. So hopefully, Crunchyroll can keep working with KADOKAWA to make more shows that will probably be more successful overseas.

Still there were several investors, crunchyroll did not make the series alone, so it does not deserve all the credits.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear this. I have a friend of mine who took some inspiration for this light novel for his which pretty good actually, and I'm looking forward to seeing how good it was to see if the inspiration was good.

Also, by two cour, it means it may last from January to June?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Nice to hear this. I have a friend of mine who took some inspiration for this light novel for his which pretty good actually, and I'm looking forward to seeing how good it was to see if the inspiration was good.

Yep, it's gonna run for the winter and spring season. Since it's starting the second week on January it will probably run to the first week of July depending on the number of episodes
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Yes. A half-year length implies 26 epi. but a 2-hour special (not counting the commercials) means we effectively get 30 epi. worth of material.

Since CR is dubbing this, they probably are using the L.A. Eng. dub VA pool. To be honest, I wish this would happen more (at least 1-2 weekly simuldubbed series a season) since Funi does do most of the Eng. dubs of anime nowadays.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Yes. A half-year length implies 26 epi. but a 2-hour special (not counting the commercials) means we effectively get 30 epi. worth of material.

Since CR is dubbing this, they probably are using the L.A. Eng. dub VA pool. To be honest, I wish this would happen more (at least 1-2 weekly simuldubbed series a season) since Funi does do most of the Eng. dubs of anime nowadays.

I see then.

Though, I won't mind FUNi much, their dubs tend to be good.

But like you said, I'll like to see a LA based cast of this.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Probably not. The first episode is only about an hour long, so the bulk of the two-hour special is probably going to be behind-the-scenes/promotional material. And the series is premiering in the second week of January to avoid the New Years holiday, so the double-length premiere is just making up for a missed week.

For comparison, Fate/Zero has twenty-five episodes including a double-length premiere; Kamisama no Memochou did twelve with a double-length; and Aquarion Evol has twenty-six but the first two aired back-to-back.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:53 am Reply with quote
Honestly, ever since I read the very first chapter of the manga years ago I have been eagerly awaiting the day this particular isekai got an anime adaptation. After getting hooked on the WN and then reading the LN, I was even more convinced that this series needed an anime! It was agonizing watching all of the other isekais getting an anime and not this one, but now that day is finally here! I am so beyond thrilled that above all of the other isekais, my first and favorite one is getting such a royal treatment! The New Year can not come fast enough for me! I NEED THAT FIRST EPISODE! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1