• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Netflix Good For Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a show getting snuffed out by Netflix is going to affect how popular it becomes... but on the other hand, there are a wide variety of different results to go off of. I think Planet With would've become more popular (and be in the running for the best anime of the year) if Crunchyroll had promoted it properly, but then you've got stuff like Made in Abyss that becomes really popular through word of mouth anyway. Basically, determining what's a hit and what isn't nowadays is a crapshoot, and not every show's popularity is going to correlate with its quality.
Gundamcero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Netflix is trash when it comes to anime. Just like Amazon is. Leave it to the professionals. Or at least fans who give a crap.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
My issue with Netflix isn’t necessarily the distribution and marketing. They are a successful company and they know what they are doing.

I’m mostly concerned about the shows themselves. Judging by what Netflix has already produced, their shows are very different from traditional Japanese anime. A lot of them can barely be called anime. What are the chances that Netflix will produce something like Shirobako? Not very likely. How about something like Hyouka? Almost impossible.

Anime is Japanese, and we like it for what it is. If I wanted to watch a Hollywood action flick, I’d go watch a Hollywood action flick.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

Anime is Japanese, and we like it for what it is.

You mean you like it for what you think it is, this comment makes no sense especially for animes that have distinctly Western influences or elements.

Or those that are popular regardless of their Japanese origins.

kinghumanity wrote:

If I wanted to watch a Hollywood action flick, I’d go watch a Hollywood action flick.

Yet when Japan turns out stuff like Ninja Batmam, My Hero Academia, JoJo Bizarre Adventure, Cowboy Bebop, etc that piques your interest?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Like I’ve said before in the other thread, my only gripe with Netflix is that it takes so long before they sub-license the home video rights to another company (still no Little Witch Academia?!). I don’t really care about Netflix streaming Eva, but I really want to own it on Bluray. Maybe Funimation (preferable as they now include digital copies) can get those rights like Seven Deadly Sins, or Sentai with Ajin, or Viz with Castlevania.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I do not think that Netflix is a perfect platform, but at least they have a huge international presence and if that helps exposing different shows to a wider audience, specially since all of the series they distribute as Originals are required to be dubbed, in my opinion they are doing a good job. Without them I wouldn't be able to watch some shows legally where I live, and some of the dubs made for them were actually pretty good.
Still, they need to correct some problems, I noticed several spelling mistakes in the Spanish subtitles for Little Witch Academia (the dub wasn't very good either) and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (the series isn't billed as an Original and it wasn't dubbed in spanish before so it's only avaible with subtitles) and they do not promote anime as well as they do with their live-action shows and cartoons.[/code]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This random Youtuber made the best summary i saw or read that explains what Netflix "original" anime is and what the platform does for the industry:
How Does Netflix Affect the Anime Industry? | Anime Studio Spotlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTmvoz7Smw&index=308&list=LLcMjMEYzJUHveLUKw6UkYcg&t=0s

Namely not that much. The same 3 or so studios get the originals treatment and these are just (limited) streaming deals. Netflix didn´t put anything into production as of 2018 and creators don´t get better pay or treatment by Netflix than by anyone else. So why should i care? Their cartoon arm though is legit.
I am beyond ready for a good DMC adaptation and Castevania is better than any actual anime in 2018. The kids stuff, as Voltron, can be pretty good too.
Aggretsuko on the other hand is the single Netflix anime "original" i like and even that one is a slightly lesser remake.

And as Justin lastly points out, there are no strong indications that big bucks are made here. Anime rights are just another cheap way to shovel out a LOT of diverse-ish content for people who fall into the core audience of Netflix. Literal filler. Nothing more or less, which is fine. The Bebop, Avatar and so on life action remakes have to pull though if this experiment is to go on, as those will cost money. Death Note got a sequel, so there is that.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
With Streaming as the New Cable, I compare Amazon and Netflix to the time G4TV tried showing "Crest of the Stars"--
They didn't know what they had, they didn't know one cult-hit series from another, all they knew was that the competition was cleaning up showing DBZ and Cowboy Bebop.
(At least SciFi Channel made a decent attempt to try and understand Robot Carnival and Project A-Ko, despite just getting them in a big package of Streamline Pictures and CPM.)

For all the "sour grapes" of Funi saying "We could sell Eva better than Netflix could!", they have a distinct point: Funi at least has some area experience in knowing what Evangelion IS.
We can only guess how much more of an anime-audience cult hit Funi or Crunchyroll could have made out of "Seven Deadly Sins" by targeting and cultivating it to a direct audience, instead of playing main-streaming's game of "We got one, we GOT one! Very Happy "

(And for the reverse point, just how long would "Kemono Friends" have lasted outside of a cult anime-streaming audience like CR, that knows how to give even the seemingly strangest/quirkiest series the benefit of the doubt?)
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this really sums up my thoughts on the whole article. While there was some truth about Netflix's lack of marketing, and letting shows die on the vine, this would be more applicable if it were any other show besides Evangelion. It's iconic enough that it doesn't really need the extra push, and more people have a Netflix account already than one for Funimation (or Crunchyroll, VRV, HiDive, etc...).

I'm glad it will finally be streaming legally, I just really hope someone releases the show and End of Eva on blu-ray.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
For now I am cool with Nexflix having Evangelion. But if in 2-3 years there is not a R1 BD release, I will give them shit. Legal streaming of anime is of course very important for me, but at the end of the day I need disc releases of the stuff I really like.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I like how the dude asking the "question" really just sent in a statement and added a question mark at the end... Laughing

Anyway, in the short term, before 2 billion in deficit spending does catch up to Netflix, the only thing that does strike minor concern for me, and the thing that I think Fukunaga has a point on, is that Netflix overpaying as much as they supposedly do, can really unfavorably increase licensing costs for anime across the board. I don't know if that is a bad thing ultimately, as it could have a lot of positive effects within the industry at its core, or it could have a lot of negative effects. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
My only problem with Netflix is that 90% of there anime are full 5 fps 3d cg. I absolutely despise polygon studio. They go from manga adaptations to star wars rebels. Are they even a legit anime studio? Do they focus on adaptations of japanese stories or are they a bunch of talentless hacks who do whatever? That and the way there americanizing saint seiya with that ben 10 writer is down right selfish. Saint seiya is a classic manga and anime series that predates the anime boom here in america post-dbz and pokemon. It's very niche here in america. It would be much smarter to show it as it is to us in a well animated, well scripted form then edit it in any way imo.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Like I’ve said before in the other thread, my only gripe with Netflix is that it takes so long before they sub-license the home video rights to another company (still no Little Witch Academia?!). I don’t really care about Netflix streaming Eva, but I really want to own it on Bluray. Maybe Funimation (preferable as they now include digital copies) can get those rights like Seven Deadly Sins, or Sentai with Ajin, or Viz with Castlevania.

Honestly, that might be the thing that bugs me the most, too. I haven't had much issue with the waiting caused by Netfilix's insistence that everything follow their binge watch model since I have plenty of other things to watch in the meantime. Wondering when, or if, we'll see home video releases for things like LWA and Kakegurui is more frustrating to me.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
You mean you like it for what you think it is, this comment makes no sense especially for animes that have distinctly Western influences or elements.

Or those that are popular regardless of their Japanese origins.

Yet when Japan turns out stuff like Ninja Batmam, My Hero Academia, JoJo Bizarre Adventure, Cowboy Bebop, etc that piques your interest?

The zoo in the room I've been dragging all around like a circus for the longest time is the matter that Anime isn't this exotic secretive and unmatched form of art. Anime is as corporeal and tangible as any other artform and craft. However, unlike Japanese cuisine, karaoke, martial arts, origami, hell nearly anything from the nation, Anime and Manga has not been yet seen in that rational everday mindset nor pursued correctly outside of the nation. There is not just the process but the cultural intricacies that has to be studied, grasped and understood, and that is what separates the imitators from the creators. As I've learned, anime has to be studied for what it is than what it is seen on a pedestal, and with much reverence and respect to where it came from and what its historical impact has given wake to. If Hayao Miyazaki's dreams want to be a reality, that has to come to pass. (thanks justin)

And I don't mean to spark flares, but even to this day I feel that western anime inspired works still feel overall western, and without any disdain or shame towards it. The west, and especially the American continent and France if they however want to attain truly making anime, they can't just assume and wishy-wash-fully throw off the top of their heads what they think what makes anime "anime"; there is a level of cultural study, acceptance, interaction, and sympathizing they have to do before they can get there. This especially goes towards Netflix, and especially if they want to fix their very messy track record.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
I don't think a show getting snuffed out by Netflix is going to affect how popular it becomes...

Never mind the considerable body of evidence that shows snuffed by Netflix don't ever really enter the fan consciousness... I mean seriously, at this point it's impossible to both be engaged with fandom (and thus notice what becomes popular) and to also not see that shows snapped up by Netflix almost without exception vanish with scarcely a trace.

Quote:
but then you've got stuff like Made in Abyss that becomes really popular through word of mouth anyway

And that's despite Abyss being behind Amazon's double-paywall! (And the implied derision towards Abyss is noted.)

Quote:
Basically, determining what's a hit and what isn't nowadays is a crapshoot, and not every show's popularity is going to correlate with its quality.

*Nods* I see... this isn't really about Netflix. It's about "stuff you like".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5