• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix CEO Describes Planned 'Aggressive' International Expansion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mstrom#5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It may just be me, but this gives me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.Sure there are lots of pros to this partnership[ but to get stuff eligible for the Chinese markets means dumbing down themes, visuals, game play,etc., because of how strict the government is over there. I can imagine them saying, "Well it's good enough for the Chinese, it's good enough for everybody else", (e.g. Ubisoft and the Rainbow Six Siege debacle). I really hope this does not bleed into their global releases.

Link to Ubisoft article:https://kotaku.com/rainbow-6-siege-will-remove-sex-and-gambling-references-1830200085
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
All hail our new Chinese overlords, I guess.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
SE serving China will be bad for their bottom line, India should be fine but serving China is a death sentence for games with anything good in it.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
SE serving China will be bad for their bottom line, India should be fine but serving China is a death sentence for games with anything good in it.

Not really. They'll just have a region specific version for those games that adheres to China's regulations. In turn that will lead to more profit for them due to the nature of China having one of the biggest markets for games.

The problem though that i take away from the article is the mention of Aggressive International expansions while ignoring the existing problems with their current international marketing strategies. If they want to have decent regional coverage they need to expand more westward too. As is the company is still a majority eastern affair with eastern market influences which causes a lot of their titles to miss hard in the west.
Jakerams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Having a working relationship with both Disney and Tencent. Great way to turn yourself into a threat in the gaming industry.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
This is NOT scary at all! /s
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Considering they can barely get games released on time and clearly have internal issues, I don't think international expansion is a good thing right now until they get the former issues sorted out
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
The problem though that i take away from the article is the mention of Aggressive International expansions while ignoring the existing problems with their current international marketing strategies. If they want to have decent regional coverage they need to expand more westward too. As is the company is still a majority eastern affair with eastern market influences which causes a lot of their titles to miss hard in the west.

Considering that China and India each have over 1.3 billion people, I can see why they are targeting those countries. With that many people, they can potentially reach an enormous audience.

As for the point I but in bold, this is a big issue. If a game is region-locked to an Asian country or to be sold only in Asian countries, the Square Enix execs should not be surprised if piracy of those games happens. Sure, piracy will still happen, but piracy could be lessened a bit by offering it to Western audiences as well.
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Not really. They'll just have a region specific version for those games that adheres to China's regulations. In turn that will lead to more profit for them due to the nature of China having one of the biggest markets for games.

China disallows certain themes from being present in their media. You can't just have China-specific version that cuts out these themes if they are important part of the story. You'd just end up with a discombobulated mess if you cut out any parts of the story that China doesn't like. So the answer is going to be not even include these themes in the first place. SE will be limited in creating their own stories to fit in with what the increasingly censor-happy Chinese government will allow.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
JustStopPlz wrote:
TexZero wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

China disallows certain themes from being present in their media. You can't just have China-specific version that cuts out these themes if they are important part of the story. You'd just end up with a discombobulated mess if you cut out any parts of the story that China doesn't like. So the answer is going to be not even include these themes in the first place. SE will be limited in creating their own stories to fit in with what the increasingly censor-happy Chinese government will allow.

You say this as if games don't already alter there product to be sold in China. KH3 certainly has as it's omitted all instance of Winnie the Pooh from it. So to claim it cannot be done is silly as it is currently being done and this is just one example of many. It's also not just limited to video games, Movies and Books released in China have had various changes too.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
You say this as if games don't already alter there product to be sold in China. KH3 certainly has as it's omitted all instance of Winnie the Pooh from it. So to claim it cannot be done is silly as it is currently being done and this is just one example of many. It's also not just limited to video games, Movies and Books released in China have had various changes too.

The magazine covering Kingdom Hearts III whited out Winney the Pooh, but the franchise itself is not released in China and KHIII has no Chinese version planned, so your example is false.

Movies and games HAVE been censored for their Chinese releases, but it should be noted that lots of games have also been limited or banned outright. A lot of movie producers, at least, have recently claimed that having a presence in China actually restricts what they're allowed to do in the movie during production. They can and do allow some differences, but only so much that they can afford to.
Bone Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:42 am Reply with quote
This basically means more mobile games more than anything else.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
This is somewhat related in the sense it addresses China regulating foreign media: anyone here have a guess as to why China seemed to be OK or indifferent with the pending Disney-Fox merger to go through?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1