• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell Happened in Godzilla: The Planet Eater?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kovaelin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they stretched this nonsense into three films. What happened to the other twin that didn't get left alone to be a single mother?
Suxinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I enjoyed these movies a bit more than the reviewers did, though I also agree that it was a total mess from beginning to end. Definitely one of the worst things I've seen Urobuchi write from beginning to end. (I mean, Aldnoah was pretty bad, but Urobuchi was only responsible for like three episodes of that.)

This might just be the Urobuchi fangirl in me speaking, but I got the feeling that Urobuchi was pretty rushed when he wrote this movie. The whole thing had good ideas but felt like it could've done with a lot more edits. It felt like a really rough draft that never got the second or third passes it needed to make it coherent.

And, yeah, usually Urobuchi is pretty on-the-nose with his themes, but here that ending was so confusing that I'm not sure that even Urobuchi himself knows what he was trying to say.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Just once, I wish these "what the hell is going on" conversations were about anime that's actually weird and confusing instead of just a mess of poorly executed fauxlosophy. I know it's just going to sound like I'm wishing for "good old days", but I want to experience anime fandom losing its shit at a show jumping headfirst into surrealism, like with Eva and Utena 20 years ago.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it for what it was but definitely wanted more monster on monster action, better fights and a Godzilla that actually moves instead of being a stiff walking mountain.

I'd still give it 4 Rathalos from the Monster Hunter video game series out of 5 because it was cool to see a Godzilla anime on Netflix, and Netflix stuff feels FREE even though it isn't.

Would love to see Yasuhiro Imagawa of Mobile Fighter G Gundam and Shin Mazinger Shogeki fame handle a Godzilla anime next. Now that we've gotten the 'smart' Godzilla anime out of the way let's get a mind numbingly stupid and fun anime going ha ha!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Alright lets hope Planet of the Monsters is a dope film.

Its pretty funny, both movies star Ghidorah so it will be a battle between who actually used him well. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Its pretty funny, both movies star Ghidorah so it will be a battle between who actually used him well. Laughing

Well they’re not using Polygon to render the monsters. That’s a start.

Besides, they’re building up to Godzilla vs Kong: Dawn of Justice.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Well they’re not using Polygon to render the monsters. That’s a start.

Besides, they’re building up to Godzilla vs Kong: Dawn of Justice.

isnt that using legendary studios godzilla?

idk how an ape will stand a chance agaisnt a thermonuclear breath that can kill armored monsters.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
The Kong in Skull Island is supposed to be the same size as Godzilla when they fight and was shown to be rather smart about improvising weapons. I mean he’s clearly Batman here, but it’s not as lopsided as say, the King Kong on Broadway.

Also the metaphor is nowhere near as dumb as what comes off as a pseudo-informercial for Buddhism, I guess? Who knows? More importantly, who cares about this mess?
Kamagor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It really sucks how much of a disaster this trilogy is, but at least the first two had at least SOMETHING to them, as flawed as they can be. The third one genuinely pissed me off with how terrible it was and I don't think I've ever been actually that upset by anything Godzilla before. Disappointed for sure, or just thought something was fairly poor, but never just dumbfounded by what I'm watching.

A shame, as it is such a waste of a pretty incredible premise.
Amuris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ya know, sometimes it's not that the philosophy of the story falls apart as it goes on. Sometimes you just misread the philosophy. The philosophy is consistent. It only doesn't make sense if you insist that it's about nihilism.

Godzilla always represented whatever the current greatest fear in Japan is for a source of human extinction. Before it was nuclear fallout, now it's climate change. This is why the story takes place in a future permanently altered by the effects of "Godzilla" creating a new global ecosphere based on it.

The relation between Godzilla and the other monsters, as well as the presence of the two alien races, is from the Fermi Paradox. They're each "Great Walls" which few races would be able to overcome which is used as an explanation of the lack of any signs of a massive intergalactic federation. There's smarter explanations for this, particularly that a species that could build self-sustaining biome that could manage the trip between many star systems would have no incentive to colonize other systems in the first place. However, doing that would have overcome the Great Walls anyway.

Each of the races is a response to the idea of a Great Wall and, in proper "human" fashion, the responses for two of them is a Great Wall itself. The Bilusaludo think to mechanize their species to avoid it's extinction which is itself the extinction of them as a species. The Exif have the typical theological response to a Great Wall and revel in it as something preordained by god the same way their real life counterparts insist that the more exaggerated weather and storms we've had over the years is "god's punishment". In line with Japanese views on organized religion vs spirituality, this is viewed as resulting from hatred, hatred of people or hatred of the state of nature, leading to wanting a god to come down and "set them right". More in line with common Japanese beliefs are the Houtuo living in concert with the world rather than trying to overcome it and thus precluding hatred for the state of nature.

...and after writing all of this, I look at the actual review and realize they got most of this.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget to put this movie series in its proper context- This was Urobuchi for the first time in his career following Anno directly in writing for an IP and he just completely lost his mind but this time, the "he" in question wasn't Anno. And that's from someone who doesn't even like Shin Godzilla.

"Well, if Anno can take pieces of Godzilla and craft something like Evangelion out of it then I can take more bits and pieces of Godzilla and make bits of Gargantia, Madoka and Psycho paths... but in reality what I'll do is a reverse deconstruction of a popularism by subverting their expectations as to what they'd want in a Godzilla film by promising things I know they want and then not delivering on them."

I gave up after the first movie when Godzilla only showed up for about a minute and a half in his own movie.... the all time new record which hopefully will stand.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
I enjoyed it for what it was but definitely wanted more monster on monster action, better fights and a Godzilla that actually moves instead of being a stiff walking mountain.

I'd still give it 4 Rathalos from the Monster Hunter video game series out of 5 because it was cool to see a Godzilla anime on Netflix, and Netflix stuff feels FREE even though it isn't.

Would love to see Yasuhiro Imagawa of Mobile Fighter G Gundam and Shin Mazinger Shogeki fame handle a Godzilla anime next. Now that we've gotten the 'smart' Godzilla anime out of the way let's get a mind numbingly stupid and fun anime going ha ha!

But can happiness be achieved without sacrifice?!!
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:

But can happiness be achieved without sacrifice?!!

Yes! Lol!
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
I can't tell how much those two guys didn't understand the ending. If humans produce sufficient technology, or electromagnetic waves I assume, Godzilla will wake up and destroy them so he took the only two people with intense hatred and advanced technology left on the planet and destroyed them. Obviously humans will likely rebuild their past technology in some other way but at least he bought them a few decades to live in peace and no one else will learn from his level of hatred. People will still hate Godzilla, or even Haruo, but not in a suicidal way like Haruo.
Still think it's a very questionable ending, and the fight sucked, but at least get the purpose of the ending right.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
It's actually kind of funny now, considering how people usually stereotype Eastern vs. Western storytelling, that it's the Western version of Godzilla that's going "living with Godzilla has its problems, but it's infinitely preferable to the alternative" (helped by Legendary Godzilla being portrayed as more of an antihero that wants to ensure balance by any means necessary and isn't deliberately hateful towards humanity) while this version of Godzilla is "he exists and everything sucks forever."

After the 1998 trainwreck, I'm stunned that the shoe is so far on the other foot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2