• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion's "Cruel Angel's Thesis" Theme Song Takes Heisei Anisong Grand Prize

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Very, very good selections. It really puts into perspective just how iconic anisongs from this era were, especially through the early 2000s.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the Siam Shade song is the 6th ED for Rurouni Kenshin.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for what must have been quite a few hours putting the articles together from the basic facts!

Last edited by omiya on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I voted Sugar Song to Bitter Step and Butter-fly, glad they made it though Butter-fly was a given. For 2000's I voted Inner Universe though, and that didn't make it. Sad

Honestly, some of the 2010s picks kind of make me a bit angry. No THE HERO? No Sono Chi no Sadame? No Trust Me? No My Soul, Your Beats? But the freaking Gochiusa OP is good enough to win an award?

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
And no one was surprised. Cruel Angel Thesis is a great song and Eva as a whole is still probably the single most influent anime in recent history, perhaps the single most influent anime ever. It was a well deserved win both for the song and for what it represents.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I voted Sugar Song to Bitter Step and Butter-fly, glad they made it though Butter-fly was a given. For 2000's I voted Inner Universe though, and that didn't make it. Sad

Honestly, some of the 2010s picks kind of make me a bit angry. No THE HERO? No Sono Chi no Sadame? But the freaking Gochiusa OP is good enough to win an award?

Yeah, 2010s picks are the only choices I find myself mostly disagreeing with. Seriously, Valvrave's opening made it in? It was a clanging mess. And I tend to love T.M. Revolution and Nana Mizuki as singers. most of those Idol anime openings are forgettable and they didn't even pick one of the better Sword Art Online songs. So many good songs were left out. At least, Sugar Song to Bitter Step and Memoria made it in.

The 90s and 00s are spot on though. I can't find myself really objecting to any of the winners there even if I didn't care for the shows they were from.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
HUZZAH Angela's Sidonia made it!! Very Happy

Most of the obvious choices are here (Gurren Lagann, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Yuri on Ice!, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc.) but I'm very glad Eureka Seven's OP made it. Never finished the series but FLOW is so smooth. Same with Blue Water for Nadia.

Surprised Bodacious Space Pirates OP was picked since, in the US at least, the series flew under the radar. Then again, I think Momoiro Clover Z was quite popular.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Pfft, I didn't even notice the other two pages!
Still, I think many of the selections are excellent. I probably would've added Melissa from FMA somewhere in there though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Some excellent song choices on these lists. Also those royalties for "Cruel Angel's Thesis" are insane!

Minor correction
Quote:
•"Ikenai Borderline" by Walküre (Macross Delta OP1)
While it was used as the ending on the first episode, it was only regularly used as an insert song. It was never the Op. The first Op was actually "Ichido Dake no Koi Nara"
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Bloody hell. Those were some excellent, excellent selections. I’ve just gotten used to those online polls we’re only songs from the last 3 years are present.
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
All 3 lists made me so happy - such great selection!
Hopefully we can all enjoy another great list of awesome anisongs 10 years from now Very Happy
chronos02

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Can't say I was surprised, amazingly good choices anyway.

Still, I wonder what's wrong with King Records posting the clip with such a terrible video source, there's very noticeable interlacing...
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Agape is not really obscure... but what isn't relatively obscure compared to some of the chart toppers in the awards results.

The list was put together by fan votes as well as some judges who really know their anisong, so it's not surprising it has some very "anisong-y" entries. But I don't think they were aiming to surprise anyone. Just about every song has some kind of clear reason behind why it was represented in the anisong taisho list.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad they gave 1/3 no Junjo na Kanjo a deserving prize. Siam Shade has always been underrated AF. However, they should've put the ORIGINAL song video, not a cover version.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Honestly, some of the 2010s picks kind of make me a bit angry. No THE HERO? No Sono Chi no Sadame? But the freaking Gochiusa OP is good enough to win an award?

Or from the previous decade, no Honoo no Sadame (Armored Trooper Votoms OP).

One of the judges, Koji Saito, is the producer of Animelo Summer Live shows and has had some part in some of the greatest performances of many of these songs (and many anime songs that didn't appear in these awards).

It would be good to have some kind of listing where there isn't a limit on the number of entries, but for each year songs are picked for being noticably outstanding in one or more aspects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2