• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime Reveals Japanese Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:58 am Reply with quote
I already hate Netflix, then they do this crap. What a way to disrespect a legendary series! Mad
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:48 am Reply with quote
I don't mind the Hades cast returning (though I know certain people will be pissed over Morita again) but I find it weird that they didn't recast again like they did for the Legend of Sanctuary CG film, it makes Satou seem even more out of place.

Anyway, as much as I wasn't a fan of Yuuta Kasuya's Shun (though he was okay in the fighting games), I hope they give him a role in this just to make up for what Eugene Son had Toei do to Shun.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
This is surprising, I thought Toei would use the cast from The Legend of the Sanctuary since the new show's animation is similar to the movie, it would have been cool if the original series actors reprised their roles, but I think Kurumada made it clear that he wanted new voices when they animated the Hades Saga.
Speaking of which, the latin-american version managed to bring the original voices for Shiryu, Ikki and Saori, but for some reason Hyoga's voice actor didn't, instead Hyoga will be voiced by a mexican celebrity who recently voiced Baki. Also since now Shun is a woman, she will be voiced by the actress who voices Naruto, and finally since Seiya's original voice actor passed away in 2016 many people thought he will be voiced by some of the actors who replaced him in some ocassions when he wasn't avaible, but for some reason Netflix decided to cast a celebrity to voice Seiya in spanish and his voice wasn't well received by fans to put it lightly.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ever since I've got into Seiyaverse few years ago, as much as I love all the legendary seiyu from 80s, I never minded when some of them are replaced - every single one of them was good, IMO, and even Masakazu Morita who is by now big name on its own sounds good as Seiya, and I think both him, and iconic Toru Furuya fit.

Recently, I finished Saintia Sho, which was, btw, bad and rushed, and the only good thing about it were Gold Saints (some 80s voice actors are still reprising their roles, and they do it very well, considering they aren't young anymore).

In Saintia Sho, Inori Minase who is, I think currently one of the most popular seiyu (I don't watch too much current anime) is new Saori Kido, which kind of surprised me cause I thought Saori's main seiyu is Fumiko Orikasa ever since Hades OVAs, and it's not like she needed to be replaced...
And most of other old characters in Saintia Sho had their usual voice actors.

I didn't mind Minase though, she was fine, but now it seems Orikasa will be Saori once again.

Still, I do believe I will watch this with english cast, simply because it is the original.

Btw, Shun being female isn't the end of world for me.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

I agree. In Latin America, everyone made made fun of Shun being 'girly' to the point of being called "gay" (I'm trying not to use the expletive people use here expressly). I've always thought it made sense for Shun being a girl, and it somehow seems right to me this time.

Now I can imagine Shun saying "Oniichan" and Ikki trying not to be a siscon Anime hyper
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

I agree. In Latin America, everyone made made fun of Shun being 'girly' to the point of being called "gay" (I'm trying not to use the expletive people use here expressly). I've always thought it made sense for Shun being a girl, and it somehow seems right to me this time.

Now I can imagine Shun saying "Oniichan" and Ikki trying not to be a siscon Anime hyper

I actually think posts like this prove why Shun should have remained a boy. There shouldn't be just one right way to be a girl or a boy without being called with slurs (in your example 'gay' is clearly meant as one).
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
I actually think posts like this prove why Shun should have remained a boy. There shouldn't be just one right way to be a girl or a boy without being called with slurs (in your example 'gay' is clearly meant as one).

Especially when that's an explicit point of Shun's character. I love Saint Seiya, but I would never say it's particularly subtle. Shun as a valid alternative way to perform masculinity was one of my favorite parts, though, and why he was my favorite character.

Better to have turned Ikki into a woman.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

That's what most fans said here, not me (I was never a fan). In Latin America, the worst thing a man can be is gay. Sadly, the machismo culture here is rampant, and will probably always be.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Call me a Toru Furuya fanboy but no Furuya = No watch. I like Mortia but he doesn't give the Seiya vibe that Furuya established.

I would have preferred they go with the Omega cast which was better IMHO and at least featured Furuya and Mami Koyama (Shaina) for their original roles.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
You know technically the "original version" here is english, do the Japanese cast is just a dub so who cares ? Razz

Joking aside I'm also surprised they reused the Meikai/Elysion cast because as this is a reboot, I expected a full change of cast.

Also people unhappy about this series need to stop blaming Netflix. They're funding it but they're not the ones calling the shots creatively and it's still a TOEI series with a mostly Japanese staff though with an american writing staff (which I'd argue might bring some fresh view Saint Seiya need, it has been going in circles for a while now)

Quote:
but I think Kurumada made it clear that he wanted new voices when they animated the Hades Saga.

That's incorrect. Kurumada was more than OK to keep the original, and notably Toruya was part of the holy trinity for Saint Seiya to him alongside Araki and Yokoyama. However TOEI was pushing to change the voices for a younger cast but him and Yamauchi fought bits and nail to keep the original cast for the Bronze Five, though the compromise was that they recast some of the Gold Saints.

After Sanctuary there was concern as a vocal (though I personally believe minoritary) part of the Japanese fandom felt some of the voices had aged too much, notably Shun's Ryō Horikawa (and to be fair, they're not exactly incorrect... Shun's voice had became much deeper in Hades Sanctuary) which led TOEI to push for a change in cast again. Still they managed to keep the same cast for the Heaven Chapter film as well.

After that film failed and Bandai jumped ship for the sequel of Hadès though, TOEI went back with a vengeance, so there was lots of talk, and there was called the possibility of changing just part of the cast, with Furuya task to decide who to keep or not. But he refused and felt he couldn't have the same "fire" as Seiya without his olds friends. At the end of the day it was decided to replace everyone so that there wouldn't be any bad blood between the cast and that was it, and Morita's team has been the official "Young Bronzes" voice ever since in every Seiya production including videogame, pachinko and so on...

(TOEI got away with bringing Furuya back in Omega cos' he was playing an older Seiya)

-Sergorn
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

How does it make sense?
Female Saints have to wear a mask; how will they justify Shaina and Marine wearing one but Shun no. And is Shun a female name too in Japan?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:

Quote:
but I think Kurumada made it clear that he wanted new voices when they animated the Hades Saga.

That's incorrect. Kurumada was more than OK to keep the original, and notably Toruya was part of the holy trinity for Saint Seiya to him alongside Araki and Yokoyama. However TOEI was pushing to change the voices for a younger cast but him and Yamauchi fought bits and nail to keep the original cast for the Bronze Five, though the compromise was that they recast some of the Gold Saints.

After Sanctuary there was concern as a vocal (though I personally believe minoritary) part of the Japanese fandom felt some of the voices had aged too much, notably Shun's Ryō Horikawa (and to be fair, they're not exactly incorrect... Shun's voice had became much deeper in Hades Sanctuary) which led TOEI to push for a change in cast again. Still they managed to keep the same cast for the Heaven Chapter film as well.

After that film failed and Bandai jumped ship for the sequel of Hadès though, TOEI went back with a vengeance, so there was lots of talk, and there was called the possibility of changing just part of the cast, with Furuya task to decide who to keep or not. But he refused and felt he couldn't have the same "fire" as Seiya without his olds friends. At the end of the day it was decided to replace everyone so that there wouldn't be any bad blood between the cast and that was it, and Morita's team has been the official "Young Bronzes" voice ever since in every Seiya production including videogame, pachinko and so on...

(TOEI got away with bringing Furuya back in Omega cos' he was playing an older Seiya)

-Sergorn

I find it hilarious people complaining about Ryo Horikawa sounding too old to play Shun but he still voices Hattori Heiji in Detective Conan pretty regularly despite the character being a teenager. I guess age never rears it's ugly head there, or not yet at least.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
You know technically the "original version" here is english, do the Japanese cast is just a dub so who cares ? Razz

Joking aside I'm also surprised they reused the Meikai/Elysion cast because as this is a reboot, I expected a full change of cast.

Also people unhappy about this series need to stop blaming Netflix. They're funding it but they're not the ones calling the shots creatively and it's still a TOEI series with a mostly Japanese staff though with an american writing staff (which I'd argue might bring some fresh view Saint Seiya need, it has been going in circles for a while now)

Quote:

-Sergorn

Thanks for the info bro, but there is 1 more point to Omega. The other bronze saints & Athena were also recasted with newer voices (and better ones IMHO) and i wish they just used the Omega ones to today.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
How does it make sense?
Female Saints have to wear a mask; how will they justify Shaina and Marine wearing one but Shun no. And is Shun a female name too in Japan?

I don't think Netflix particularly cares about the lore of the show. They haven't for the other series they've rebooted, at least.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote
I think the reason Furuya returned into Omega was primarily because of how iconic his voice is, and Seiya was older, plus he was now a leading Gold Saint.

Beside him, only Koyama returned as Shaina, and Hori as Tatsumi, not sure for anyone else.

There can be multiple reasons why they were recasted once again the rest of original Bronzes, but, IMO, that's probably because Hiroshi Kamiya (Shun), Mamoru Miyano (Hyoga), and Tomokazu Sugita (Ikki) were probably at their most popular around the time Omega aired, especially Kamiya.

Even older, Shun still has rather feminine appearance, unlike Hattori from Detective Conan, so aged Ryo Horikawa once again voicing him probably wouldn't work, but who knows.

Koichi Hashimoto is both too old to reprise his role as Hyoga, and for a while now he was mostly only Kuro in One Piece.
Miyano being new Hyoga was a good choice, and his voice was popular enough for such famous old school anime hero.

Sugita was just amazing as Ikki (arguably the most popular Saint Seiya character), even though I do believe Katsuyuki Konishi could have voice him too.
Actually, maybe even his original seiyu Hideyuki Hori.
I still from time to time rewatch some parts of Omega with Ikki, and it's incredible how much he made him his own, he put so much passion into this role.

As for Ken Narita being Shiryu, if I'm not mistaken, Narita in general inherited some other roles from late Hirotaka Suzuoki, they have very similar voices.

The thing with original Bronzes in Omega was that despite they being quite older, their appearances were still pretty much same as when they were teenagers, so aside from Furuya who still manages to sound young, it would be hard for the rest of cast to do the same, except maybe Hori.
Narita is different, because he sounds very much like 80s/90s Suzuoki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2