Forum - View topic
Netflix's Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime Debuts Worldwide on July 19


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OjaruFan2



Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 173
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Can't wait! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lactobacillus yogurti



Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 550
Location: Latin America
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Inb4 all the people screaming bloody murder because Shun is now a girl. Going to have some fun reading the rants.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnysasaki



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 578
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Inb4 all the people screaming bloody murder because Shun is now a girl. Going to have some fun reading the rants.


they will all be in Spanish,anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Hermano



Joined: 24 Feb 2019
Posts: 66
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
they will all be in Spanish,anyway.


Yep. Mexican community is peeved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor Sedna



Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 691
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Pass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 106
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Inb4 all the people screaming bloody murder because Shun is now a girl. Going to have some fun reading the rants.


Most of the complains are about Seiya's voice actor, I mean, Jesús Barrero was both Seiya and one of the best VA on LATAM, filling his shoes it's hard but damn, the new guy on the trailer sucks and if they didn't "Fix" him for the final product people it's gonna rage.

Shun's gender change has the quite valid complain of relinquishing the series of a non-traditional masculinity, the consensus it's that if they wanted to turn somebody in a girl Ikki would have been a more interesting option and choosing the less aggressive of the Saints it's both lazy and stereotyping.

I am on the camp of Hyoga being the better option, a girl being the "Cool/Calm" one it's quite rare to see or changing the plot to give Shaina a more relevant role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sergorn



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 67
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
Would have been a good opportunity to post te Japanese Voiced trailer too Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvq0Kba-LKQ

-Sergorn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gloverrandal



Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 369
Location: Oita
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:25 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Most of the complains are about Seiya's voice actor, I mean, Jesús Barrero was both Seiya and one of the best VA on LATAM, filling his shoes it's hard but damn, the new guy on the trailer sucks and if they didn't "Fix" him for the final product people it's gonna rage.

Shun's gender change has the quite valid complain of relinquishing the series of a non-traditional masculinity, the consensus it's that if they wanted to turn somebody in a girl Ikki would have been a more interesting option and choosing the less aggressive of the Saints it's both lazy and stereotyping.

I am on the camp of Hyoga being the better option, a girl being the "Cool/Calm" one it's quite rare to see or changing the plot to give Shaina a more relevant role.


The other option is to not change anything, because it's not an issue. This is why American adaptions of Japanese anime always fail. They have this urge to fix what isn't broken. It's not an issue at all that the team is all male. The evidence is the massive success of the original Japanese series. Perhaps in America it is an issue, but in the rest of the world it is not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lactobacillus yogurti



Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 550
Location: Latin America
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Inb4 all the people screaming bloody murder because Shun is now a girl. Going to have some fun reading the rants.


Most of the complains are about Seiya's voice actor, I mean, Jesús Barrero was both Seiya and one of the best VA on LATAM, filling his shoes it's hard but damn, the new guy on the trailer sucks and if they didn't "Fix" him for the final product people it's gonna rage.



That one's a no-brainer. Startalents very rarely are as good as pro VAs, and after Barrero's death, no one has a similar voice to him. Maybe Alfonso Obregón, but even so it'd be too weird. Irwin Daayán voiced Seiya for the Hades chapter, IIRC, but let's face it, it'd be as weird as hearing anyone else voicing him. Meh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1044
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:


The other option is to not change anything, because it's not an issue. This is why American adaptions of Japanese anime always fail. They have this urge to fix what isn't broken. It's not an issue at all that the team is all male. The evidence is the massive success of the original Japanese series. Perhaps in America it is an issue, but in the rest of the world it is not.


Even if that were true and no one outside America cared (obviously it's not, America isn't the only country with women in it Rolling Eyes ) the US is by far Netflix's biggest market, and this remake is designed primarily to introduce Saint Seiya to the US audience. The idea of increasing the female presence in Seiya is a good one.

That said, I do think it was a mistake to change Shun's gender when there were much better options available. They should have just given a larger role to a pre-existing female character. Making Shun a woman comes off as Netflix being afraid to have an animated character who might be interpreted as gay, something they've had issues with in the past.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nodz



Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 390
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Inb4 all the people screaming bloody murder because Shun is now a girl. Going to have some fun reading the rants.


Yes, it looks totally consistent to have Shun as a girl while other female saints have to wear a mask. So will Marin and Shaina be representated without a mask? If June appears, will she be in love with Shun? What will Aioros' legacy say? "Shonen to Shoujo"?
Shun was depicted to be sensitive and not eager to fight, so to make him a girl because of this seems a little offensive. Cannot a man be sensitive?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver Kirin



Joined: 09 Aug 2018
Posts: 111
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic. I do not mind Shun being a girl in this version, I'm more worried if Toei is going to tone down the violence of the original anime and manga, beacuse the original series could get very violent. Also, I hope that the actor who voices Seiya in the latin-american version could improve a little bit, his voice in the trailer didn't sound very good, I still can't believe that Netflix chose a celebrity to voice Seiya, his original dub actor passed away but there were other actors who voiced Seiya in other shows and movies that could have replaced him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnysasaki



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 578
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic. I do not mind Shun being a girl in this version, I'm more worried if Toei is going to tone down the violence of the original anime and manga, beacuse the original series could get very violent. Also, I hope that the actor who voices Seiya in the latin-american version could improve a little bit, his voice in the trailer didn't sound very good, I still can't believe that Netflix chose a celebrity to voice Seiya, his original dub actor passed away but there were other actors who voiced Seiya in other shows and movies that could have replaced him.


The series stopped being violent after the 80's.Don't expect to be different here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 1990
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Shun's gender change has the quite valid complain of relinquishing the series of a non-traditional masculinity, the consensus it's that if they wanted to turn somebody in a girl Ikki would have been a more interesting option and choosing the less aggressive of the Saints it's both lazy and stereotyping.

I am on the camp of Hyoga being the better option, a girl being the "Cool/Calm" one it's quite rare to see or changing the plot to give Shaina a more relevant role.


I'm also in the Hyoga camp but only because if the gender change had to be done, why not give it to the character that wouldn't get as much heat from the general public as it would have with everyone else?

As for Ikki, that's debatable to me but only depending on how Shun would act around him in this adaptation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2458
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
I don't know why anyone would change a successful story that doesn't have an accessible existing adaptation. The original anime is an '80s weekly Toei show with plenty of warts. I would've liked a new adaptation direct from Kuramada's manga.

The best part about this Netflix series being a weird "modernized" CG co-pro is that it means a proper adaptation isn't off the table. Hopefully it'll actually be a drawn take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group