• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horimiya (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:17 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Horimiya (TV)
Season 02 (side story): Horimiya: The Missing Pieces (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 16 volumes, written by Hero, illustrated by Daisuke Hagiwara)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: CloverWorks

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life

Themes: school

Plot Summary: Hori is the most popular and gorgeous girl at school, while Miyamura is an introverted, eyeglasses-wearing boy. However, both find out that their appearances at school are not as they seem, as it turns out that Hori is a laid-back family girl, and Miyamura is a handsome young man covered in piercings and tattoos.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: January 9, 2021 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Hulu

Season 02 (side story): July 1, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 13 episodes
Season 2 (side story): 13 episodes

Total: 26 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Cute episode, we got a lot of character expressions that showed the personality of the cast. Hori in particular was fun to watch and this serves as an introductory episode. Great to see Izumi being animated well. About time! It's been many years since fans requested this manga to be animated and here we are.

The light comedy is there but it's going to take some time for the actual characters to develop from the story. That ED song caught me off guard though, quite unique imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome! It's mellow and slice-of-life like and heartwarming even in the first episode. And I love the ED, the visuals are so cute.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the new shows that I've seen so far, this is definitely my favorite!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
I know it is a common type of joke, but Izumi's reaction to liking the other guy, saying that he think they are just not a good match, gives off totally bi vibes. Although still felt like it was using it as a joke.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first episode. Hopefully he will be able to proudly show his tats and piercing someday.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Oof. I'm not sure how I'll get along with a show that sees physically attacking and bullying people as a cute expression of affection.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:13 am Reply with quote
It's really unfair how amazing this show is for a teen drama. It's so much better than a lot of the romance stuff from last year in just 4 episodes. It's not fair lol

I adore the chemistry, the animation, the jokes, the dynamics, and it just captures a real raw emotional element.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
It's really unfair how amazing this show is for a teen drama. It's so much better than a lot of the romance stuff from last year in just 4 episodes.

I also really appreciate how this romance is playing out...they like each other, seems like they are open to telling each other, it's refreshing to see a couple like each other without a lot of drama keeping them apart. This show is one of my favorites for sure this season!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Maybe I am reading things a wrong way or too much into it, but despite just introducing who I assume is a likeable lesbian character, there is a bit of homophobia. First there were just small things like teasing Miyamura and Ishikawa, which would be fine if there was a little attraction or something, but instead seems to have mostly been used as comedy, where the joke is how off-putting it would be. Hori's dad seems to kind of be used for some of the same jokes, where he is a little too attached to Miyamura.

And while there was no hostility with Sawada's character at all, I figured out pretty quickly that it was Hori she was interested in, I also think that it is being treated. Sawada being interested in Hori is being treated differently to if it was a guy who was clinging to her, or if she was interested in Miyamura. It is not straight up hateful homophobia, but it is still treating it as a bit of a joke, different from straight, that I don't think is the same thing as acceptance. And I don't know if there is some element of androphobia being attributed to why she became interested in Hori, which I think is a bit of a bad trope for such a character.

Other parts of the series are perfectly fine, I actually think the dad is the best, but I think that I should at least mention my thoughts.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

An update, Hori would rather Miyamura go with another girl than maybe have any interest in other boys. She wants to start controlling him so that he can't be around boys in certain circumstances. I can see an intention to maybe just being a joke about maybe a gender that he should not actually be interested in being very close to and she is worried about. But in effect it kind of just feels a bit homophobic.

I don't want to be harsh on the show, but these things have made it a little less likable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

For a last episode centred around a graduation, putting the hypotheticals of what if the characters did not connect together like they did, is a rather contemplative way to finish. Pretty much downright sombre, before being able to at the end make it more light hearted.

Now to talk about the series in general, I think that I am part of the unpopular side in being on the cooler side. I think that my earlier posts are evident enough to my thoughts in regards to like an LGBT lens, how it could be easy to read that Miyamura as bi traits, and I don't think the show is really great on that in regards Hori especially. I have seen the comments that it is Hori's problem, and she is in the wrong, but I don't think the show actually addressed it, or make Hori's control of Miyamura anything other than a joke. I imagine this won't be a problem for everyone, it is not like every show ever, especially ones staring a straight couple, need to do some sort of catering to LGBT themes, and a lot of people will probably just accuse me of looking too hard to find something offensive.

The show kind of lived on coming across as just sweet with the characters, finding it wholesome, and I think interesting characters. I think the show kind of failed in certain aspects, like Miyamura just kind of stopped doing his punk look, going full piercings and having aspects like his tattoos, they kind of felt like they did not become a large part of his character. Similarly, I am not entirely sure what the surprise part of Hori's character was, like she was a homebody or something, I don't know what it meant when her mother was back in the story more. It then kind of had too many characters, which I don't think all fit into the multiple sides theme, except maybe the green haired guy who acted much more serious at home.

The relationship between Hori and Miyamaura is also worth the focusing on again, and it did have its cute moments, the little things were nice. I can think of them sitting down and watching horror movies together, even if he had some problems with it. But I don't thin it always addressed the things that needed to be addressed. Hori having a masochist side was interesting, there is something there were I don't think you get good representations, but I think the problem is there just as much that it kind of comes across as her pushing Miyamura to do something that he is uncomfortable with, which to my awareness is something frowned upon by the S&M community. To go back a bit, I think the show failed a bit on the total sweetness to make enjoyable.

The show looked good, no complaints there, it was nice to look at. My rating will be Good (7/10) worth seeing, and mostly from the fact that I thought it was in presentation good, that technical points pushed it up as a romcom, while the story kind of makes me think that I really lost interest part way through the show, because I really can't remember much. I honestly feel tempted in some ways to push it down to Decent, but I still put it as one of the last shows to watch on those days as a reason.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:06 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun first episode of the second season, focusing mostly on Miyamura's tattoos and how much of a pain it is to keep them hidden. The quality is still the same and the overall chill vibe with some humor is too. That said, I know that the second season is about the skipped content, but boy do they jump into it without any introduction. If you have forgotten all about the first season then I would advise to watch some of it again.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I sat around for a few hours snacking on pizza and sampling the new season anime, and this is the first one I've seen today that I'll label a keeper without any reservations. It's pretty low key, occasionally offbeat, good for some chuckles and feels fresh.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I like the structure that the first and now second episode have. By carefully picking out which chapters to animate they make it feel fairly organic. We also get a bit of everything including some extra focus on the side characters. This week we had some hilarious cooking, jealousy/murderous rage and going from swimming to sporting.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:09 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I like the structure that the first and now second episode have.

Right there with you. I was a little worried when they started off with another "I'm afraid of showing my tattoos" scene, cos I thought it might dominate the whole episode, but I thought the pace was great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2