• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Market Confirms Entry Wristbands to Manage Crowds in Smaller Venues in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote
Fewer booths, less doujinshi, and now a fee charged...

Oh yeah, business is gonna be BOOMING this year Razz

Also:

"it did state that it is possible the organizers will ease the wristband restrictions during the event itself."

So you're SOL if you bought the wristband in advance and then they decide the wristband isn't needed at all the day you want to go? That's gonna go over like a lead balloon with attendees...
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
"Attendees can also purchase a print catalog as a guide to the event..."

Never go without checking the catalog and perusing it in advance noting aisle designations and table numbers. On a normal year there are around 12,000 dojinshi circle EACH DAY and they change daily.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:

The bands come with the catalog which does not have a price increase according to the Comiket web site.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote
Olympics = evil.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

The bands come with the catalog which does not have a price increase according to the Comiket web site.

I haven't bought the catalog in years, though, and I'm sure many others do the same. Pixiv is plenty for me and absolutely free, and you can print off maps online. So still a fee to be paid if you decide you'd like to plan on your own :/
Millhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Gilles Poitras wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

I haven't bought the catalog in years, though, and I'm sure many others do the same. Pixiv is plenty for me and absolutely free, and you can print off maps online. So still a fee to be paid if you decide you'd like to plan on your own :/

Because 540 jpy per day for a wristband is such a big fee....
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Olympics = evil.

I've been saying something similar for awhile. I'm not surprised Comiket is being so hard by the Olympics, we almost didn't get Comiket at all for 2020. The Olympics really should have came to the states especially now when we actually need the tourist dollars.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
One could attend Comiket several times in succession—were such a feat possible—and still have change left from the cost of a typical US or European fan event. While I sympathise with fears that this move may start a detrimental trend for future years, the present wristband price will likely be lost amidst the miscellaneous expenses any convention requires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fencer_x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
fencer_x wrote:
Gilles Poitras wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

Because 540 jpy per day for a wristband is such a big fee....

??? It's not how much the fee is. It's having to pay it at all. It's a hassle, especially if you weren't aware of it and showed up the day-of only to have to divert the line to pay the entry fee while everyone else sails on through. You sound like someone who's never been to a JP event, let alone Comiket...

People routinely pay entry fees more than 540 yen for Comic City events--600-800 is the norm there--but Comiket has long been free, and you're crazy if you think this won't make some people reconsider standing outside for 3+ hours in 90-degree weather in the blazing sun with no cover. The hardcore people will still go, but lots of attendees are casuals. I certainly would consider just getting anything I really wanted through online orders.

Also it's not just the fee, if you read the article. There's fewer booths, and the big-draw official booths are going to be separated from the main fan area. Comiket's definitely going to stumble this year, though I don't really see any way they could have managed a way around this.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
One could attend Comiket several times in succession—were such a feat possible—and still have change left from the cost of a typical US or European fan event. While I sympathise with fears that this move may start a detrimental trend for future years, the present wristband price will likely be lost amidst the miscellaneous expenses any convention requires.

Sure, you can say that as a non-Japanese fan, but Japanese fans don't know how great they've had it (though personally, I really wish there were something more akin to the US/European cons here, at least a few times a year) and therefore have certain expectations. So this is going to hurt Comiket's attendance.

How badly remains to be seen, but there's nothing being offered to offset the detractions of issues like having to buy a wristband in advance, having to decide if you want to go to official booths or fan booths (because go to one, and whatever you wanted at the other is probably going to sell out before you can get back), and fewer spaces meaning fewer circles.

Also...what miscellaneous expenses? I spend a grand total of ~500 yen every comiket outside of actual goods purchased. There's nowhere for that 540-yen wristband fee to hide Razz Travel expenses from outside Tokyo also are pretty flat. It's very easy to budget for Comiket--because there's no surprise fees or anything.

However, I don't see how this is in any way indicative of a detrimental trend for future Comikets. It's a once-in-a-century thing that's simply bad timing. Once Big SIght is back and available for public use, things will carry on as before--and even if they should, for example, decide to keep the wristbands/entry fee, that at least is something fans are more likely to put up with than fewer circles/booths and long distances to travel. They wouldn't even put up with Comiket being moved a hundred miles just for the Olympics season, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1