• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest (TV)
Season 2 - Arifureta - From Commonplace to Worlds Strongest (TV 2)

Genres:: action, adventure, fantasy
Themes: harem

Plot Summary: Hajime Nagumo and his entire high school class are transported to another world to be heroes in a war against other races, and all but Hajime are instantly gifted with special abilities and ridiculous strength. Hajime, on the other hand, is totally average, and as such the bullying he endured on Earth simply continues. Hajime has to struggle to survive in the depths of a deadly dungeon and learn to become a superhero without the gift of superpowers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

An isekai anime that has the protagonist making a gun as a cheat weapon in the first episode, kind of feels like a red flag. Although him also having a history of being the weak one and having to go through a twisted transformation that seems to have poisoned his mind a bit in anger, does seem better and a bit Shield Hero like.

Anyway, I am interested to see where this goes, if his softer side still exists in him, or he is just a hardened isekai protagonist now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Wow, the CGI monsters in this episode were god awful. I can be a bit patient with that sort of thing, but what happened in this episode with CGI was kind of super embarrassing. It was even worse than the ones in Overlord, and I think thought that it could hide that fact by making them super dark.

Either way, a total positive in that the series finally reached what I had wanted for so long, Hajime to meet his other, hero, classmates. Even if most of the episode was kind of confusing how timeline was working as being flashbacks or meanwhile. In terms of the "demon" girl, the show seems to want to play a bit more complexity, whether they can solve things by talking.

I have been enjoying the show, not that it hasn't been a bit try hard in being edgy, and the harem thing. A daughter character introduced just last episode, who he probably should not be pulling into super dangerous situations.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:17 am Reply with quote
It was both dark and funny, if you ask me. Throwing in a lot of sexy Girls was both good and bad, because the last 2 or 3 where added to fast ^^. I personally would stopped after Bunny and made an Love Triangle Thing; with Dark Hero, Vampire Loli and her^^
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Oh, that is the end? Guess I was wrong in thinking this might have two cours. It finished with Nagumo having a vampire girlfriend, a bunny girl that seemed accepted as a mistress, a dragon masochist, merfolk daughter, and an ex classmate that seem to have thrown herself in like she has any chance. That is quite the cast, and kind of feels like it pull away from the fact he already has chosen Yue, and implied that they may already be intimate. They are totally having sex, right? Maybe notable that Nagumo straight up killed the demon girl, where noramally she could have gotten away to be recurring, or be forgiven. Even the Hero character yelled at him for doing it. As overly angsty as that is, I am left wondering about the morality of it.

Anyway, a rating. I kind of found it one of the more interesting out of the isekai of its season, with each kind of having a noticeable flaw, and this one being that it trying way too hard to be serious and dark. And, that does not bother me as much as it might others. I certainly feel like bringing up the bad CGI, which may have had problems in areas, but the last couple episodes was so much more noticeable. Whatever they are using, they need to work on it a bit. I don't mind most of the 2D art, except you can notice some shortcuts more than other series in places, but as a general rule the characters look interesting and can look good.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), probably mostly me as I can have a weak spot for these sorts of edgy stuff, and I would like to see a continuation, with some improvements.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:53 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 13 (finale)

Oh, that is the end? Guess I was wrong in thinking this might have two cours. It finished with Nagumo having a vampire girlfriend, a bunny girl that seemed accepted as a mistress, a dragon masochist, merfolk daughter, and an ex classmate that seem to have thrown herself in like she has any chance. That is quite the cast, and kind of feels like it pull away from the fact he already has chosen Yue, and implied that they may already be intimate. They are totally having sex, right? Maybe notable that Nagumo straight up killed the demon girl, where noramally she could have gotten away to be recurring, or be forgiven. Even the Hero character yelled at him for doing it. As overly angsty as that is, I am left wondering about the morality of it.

Anyway, a rating. I kind of found it one of the more interesting out of the isekai of its season, with each kind of having a noticeable flaw, and this one being that it trying way too hard to be serious and dark. And, that does not bother me as much as it might others. I certainly feel like bringing up the bad CGI, which may have had problems in areas, but the last couple episodes was so much more noticeable. Whatever they are using, they need to work on it a bit. I don't mind most of the 2D art, except you can notice some shortcuts more than other series in places, but as a general rule the characters look interesting and can look good.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), probably mostly me as I can have a weak spot for these sorts of edgy stuff, and I would like to see a continuation, with some improvements.

What boggles me is that it got its second cour automatically. I assume contracts where already signed because I would never have given over extra money for the series based on its first season. I really hope the source material was much better written. The whole season came over as a shallow infantile wish fulfilment. Yue was the best written of the accompanying harem and she got less character development then Shinobu from Love Hina (old anime reference) (1 episode). My most enjoyment from this series has been from seeing how outrageous it will be from episode to episode.

Now I dont want to be too negative since it seems to have been abridged heavily as we discussed before. There are hints of interesting developments around. But they are so undercooked and smothered in random lusting females.

*edit* My personal rating will be: An ironic watch out of Weak competition
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:54 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Looks like he is back working with some of his class, as annoying as they are. Why would he do anything the hero guy says? I would think that every time he says something bullshit to just withdraw any help until he can learn to keep his feelings to himself, seeing as he takes no responsibility for the parts he plays.

Things did get rather serious towards the end of the season, the necromancer classmate going full psycho in wanting to turn everyone into zombies. And for some reason they just let her go, despite the main character having a magic gun means he should be able to kill almost in not letting them escape. How many times this season did he let the dragon demon guy just get away? Pretending that the character could even have the image of some sort of high ground.

I actually started the season with very low opinions, I really saw it as being edgy to the point of being rather cringey. Like this is some idea of being cool, but it did start to sell me more on it as the season went on. Except the mermaid daughter arc, that one was still pure cringe, she just had to keep calling him papa or something. The rabbit character is still pretty cringey too, bar maybe one kind of cool action scene.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), I at least didn't lose my time watching this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1