• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'It will be breakfast at Tiffany some day' Manga Ends in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
It sounds like a nice series but it seems rather conceited to imply by title an association with a world-class piece of literature such as Breakfast At Tiffany's. I can't see any other reason for using the name Tiffany in the title, even by random happenstance.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
It sounds like a nice series but it seems rather conceited to imply by title an association with a world-class piece of literature such as Breakfast At Tiffany's. I can't see any other reason for using the name Tiffany in the title, even by random happenstance.

Not to mention the fact that you literally can't have breakfast at Tiffany's. The book and movie are called that because it begins with Holly Golightly eating bread while looking into the window of the Tiffany's jewelry shop in NYC. Which doesn't really jive with the manga's focus on visiting cafes and bistros.
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
The film Breakfast at Tiffany's and Audrey Hepburn in general are very popular in Japan; the references are likely just because the author likes those two things. Anyway, it's hardly the first time Japan takes something Western out of context, not unlike what westerners do to their culture.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
The film Breakfast at Tiffany's and Audrey Hepburn in general are very popular in Japan; the references are likely just because the author likes those two things. Anyway, it's hardly the first time Japan takes something Western out of context, not unlike what westerners do to their culture.

Quite true. In the film, Holly Golightly's Japanese landlord Mr. Yunioshi was played by Mickey Rooney to such a stereotypical level that no such film would be able to see release in the 21st Century. I understand this manga's title possibly being a paeon to the novel, but beyond that there is absolutely no similarity. It's the contrivance that bothers me. It's not being taken out of context. It is being used to draw attention to a story that otherwise has nothing to do with Breakfast at Tiffany's. It's like naming a story The Trials of Citizen Kane but the story bears no resemblance to Citizen Kane. One would expect some new take on the amazing old story, and buying the novel find that it has nothing to do with the amazing old story. One would feel deceived. I may have to read this manga to make sure, but I suspect there will be no resemblence between any of its characers, setting or plot, and its reference in the title. I get the impression the writer may have been concerned about gathering attention for a new work, and may have invented the title to gain more attention regardless of how unwarranted. That's the impression I am getting. It has nothing to do with context. It has everything to do with misrepresentation. If the story doesn't even have the thinnest of gauze connection with Breakfast at Tiffany's, then the title is, in retail parlance, bait and switch. If the main character even ruminates on the feelings of Holly Golightly in the other story, that would be understandable. Or if there were a cafe somewhere in Japan called Tiffany's. Has anyone read this manga? Can anyone confirm either way?
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
One would expect some new take on the amazing old story, and buying the novel find that it has nothing to do with the amazing old story. One would feel deceived.

One would expect a person to read the summary before buying a book. Anyone who feels deceived only has themselves to blame. If the summary of the story was "This is related to the master work Breakfast at Tiffany's" then sure, but otherwise no.

I vaguely knew "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was something but other than that it's a meaningless title for me(Honestly thought it might have been song lyrics). Based on the summary the title feels very much like a wishful thought. She has breakfast at random places, with "And someday I'll even have Breakfast at Tiffany's" kind of a dreamy title. (Edit: kind of like "It will be breakfast at the land of Oz someday." ect. To me it felt more like a dreamy title of having breakfast somewhere special someday)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1