• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Fox

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced, glad to hear CG is minimal. Soooo where do you watch it, was it in cinema?
BWprowl
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Soooo where do you watch it, was it in cinema?

Crunchyroll Expo had a couple 'World Premiere' showings over the weekend. It opens in theaters in Japan next month. Word also is that Crunchy will stream it.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is a major spoiler regarding one character that comes out by the end of the movie, but it's blatantly telegraphed about halfway through.

I guess one man's blatantly-telegraphed is another man's perfectly reasonable clue. It was pretty far away from the associated Chekov's Gun, so it didn't feel like a dead giveaway to me. Was sort of funny how you could see which people at the screening had figured it out.

It was much better than I expected from the pretty standard premise of "Batgirl Begins: The Anime"; execution really is everything, it seems. The bad guys are as cartoonishly evil as they come, but the heroes are too lovable and badass for that to really matter. I just hope this gets a continuation, because the whole movie was practically an extended pilot episode.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this movie. As stated in the review, the story structure is extremely formulaic and at times messy (like the part where Mias identity was immediately revealed), but I found that the bits of comedy sprinkled throughout helped it stay pleasant. I was falling asleep in the beginning, but it was around the point where the moe character came in that the movie really kicked off and didn't stop. The three main characters were all likeable, a huge bonus from me because I find many series have a difficult time creating a likable protagonist (again IMO).

As far as the twist goes, I thought it was handled well. The blatant reveal got a lot of "Oh daaamn" and "Duuuude, that's-!" from the audience around me, and the display of power and costume won the crowd even further. A very fun movie and a definite buy. Can't wait for more!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:48 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much of a success Black Fox will have do to get Studio 3Hz to make a continuation of this. And will it make more movies or an actual TV series like they planned originally? And I'd imagine we won't see more of this until at least 2021 because some of major peeps who worked on Black Fox are working on A3.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder how much of a success Black Fox will have do to get Studio 3Hz to make a continuation of this. And will it make more movies or an actual TV series like they planned originally? And I'd imagine we won't see more of this until at least 2021 because some of major peeps who worked on Black Fox are working on A3.

It would be a huge shame if there was nothing else. Not just because of interest in the franchise and characters, but also because I'm not sure how well it stands as its own thing since it was clearly meant to have more content.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
I am wondering how similar this is to their other work, like PriPri or GGO. Keeping in mind the past inspired by the tokusatsu anime, Gridman, I have a little idea what to expect, but still.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
B for story? Really? It's C or lower. The plot is quite dumb, been-there-done-that and predictable. At least the visuals are decent.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
I am wondering how similar this is to their other work, like PriPri or GGO. Keeping in mind the past inspired by the tokusatsu anime, Gridman, I have a little idea what to expect, but still.

This looks nothing like Princess Principal from the preview OVA on Crunchyroll, nor does it look much like Flip Flappers. Remember, though, that PriPri was joint between Actas and Studio 3Hz whereas BlackFox is, I believe, mostly Actas. The main girl is pretty conventionally drawn in the genki nerd style. The rest of the cast are not especially distinctive either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

This looks nothing like Princess Principal from the preview OVA on Crunchyroll, nor does it look much like Flip Flappers. Remember, though, that PriPri was joint between Actas and Studio 3Hz whereas BlackFox is, I believe, mostly Actas. The main girl is pretty conventionally drawn in the genki nerd style. The rest of the cast are not especially distinctive either.

I wouldn't say quite its looks, but it did kind of feel a bit like Princess Principal in its spy like elements, and maybe also in action ability.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Nomura Kazuya, who directed BlackFox, was the director for the PriPri OP. The screenwriter for PriPri, Okouchi Ichiro, did not work on the movie. The movie's scriptwriter, Hayashi Naoki, was responsible for the latter half of Flip Flappers after its original writer left the show for reasons still unclear but did not work on Princess Principal.

I didn't see the movie, just the promo video. But it find it hard to argue that it bears much relationship to Princess Principal in any meaningful way either in its production values or the complexity of its story.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Wooo, the movie is fully available for everyone to watch on Crunchyroll! There are a couple things that ran through my mind after finishing this. Short answer, I enjoyed it. While the story is probably the most Hollywood superhero origin movie ever, at the very least the action scenes are fun to watch, and I can definitely get behind our female leads.

I get the production behind the scenes of Black Fox was rather tumultuous which makes this "movie" more of 4 TV episodes cobbled together. And I get how this story is easily formulaic and predictable. But interestingly enough, this movie gave me similar feelings I had when I watched the first few episodes of the first seasons of Nanoha and Symphogear; they're rough around the edges in the beginning to a point it feels like it's ripping off other popular shows, but I sense real potential in these shows. Black Fox also gave me a sense that's there's real potential in this IP, and I really REALLY hope Studio 3Hz considers making a continuation of this.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
Much as the show has high production values, the story is more than a little derivative and in places a little stupid but the kicker at the end is the evil (German) villain is spoiler["President Brad"]... Confused If there is a continuation, I just can't get past that to take the story seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1