• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Adds 32 More Episodes of 1986 Saint Seiya Anime With New English Dub, Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
Finally! Now the Netflix dub has officially justified its existence. This is actually the first official English dub to at the very least complete the Sanctuary arc. If this is all we get I'll be satisfied although I still hope they dub the rest of the franchise
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
They are going all out.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
Guess that means the Sanctuary Arc finally has an completed English dub. Also, wasn't there also something about Season 5 AKA the anime-only Asgard Arc coming to Netflix too? If thats the case, then that would be the first time that Arc has been available legally in North America(or at least the US).
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
Was hoping to see Dragon Quest in theaters, but oh well, glad it got licensed, and I’m looking forward to watching it soon. The Ni No Kuni movie is also streaming an English dub trailer on Netflix right now.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Also, wasn't there also something about Season 5 AKA the anime-only Asgard Arc coming to Netflix too? If thats the case, then that would be the first time that Arc has been available legally in North America(or at least the US).

"Season 5" (episodes 74-98, leaving out the very last chapter of the Asgard arc for some reason) was briefly added by Netlix yesterday with no English audio or subs, and then it was removed. I don't know what happened there, but I hope it's added back soon with English language options. The translator who worked on Saint Seiya for Netlix talked about those episodes as if they were ready to be streamed already.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, even if you're not fond the CGI reboot, legal releases of the Sanctuary Arc (with a proper English dub) with the potential for the rest of the original anime getting the same treatment is pretty great.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Whoohooo finally I get to witness the legendary Sanctuary Arc with my own eyes!

Time to meet the original Gold Saints. Very Happy
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what happened to "Season 5", as I heard it went up and got taken down? Something about subs not appearing, so I'm guessing technical issues.

Glad to hear about the Dragon Quest movie! Lots of random surprises, like how the Ni no Kuni movie will be showing up this month, too.
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else having issues with the Netflix subtitles? I tried to start watching from episode 1 but the beginning of alot of sentences are spoken without the subtitles appearing, before only the second part of the sentence shows up. This is also happening with some other Japanese show I tried watching. Googling turns up threads a couple years old with the same problem and talking about how Netflix doesn't bother fixing the issue. But I watched all of Terrace House without any issues a couple months ago, so I don't get it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Very Happy

The entirety of the 12 Temples/Houses arc will finally be dubbed, and hopefully we'll get the rest of the arcs too!
Psajdak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
When I got into Saint Seiya few years ago, and watch everything (except some recap episode from early 2000s), at the time of being at Sanctuary Arc, I had no idea Gold Saints will end up so iconic for the entire franchise.

- Also, Asgard Arc in original series is one of the best fillers I have ever seen.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would include the next episode previews.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
miracles really do happen everyone, fingers crossed that they dub the whole series this time.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Also, wasn't there also something about Season 5 AKA the anime-only Asgard Arc coming to Netflix too? If thats the case, then that would be the first time that Arc has been available legally in North America(or at least the US).

First time for the anime but this arc was fully covered in the Soldier's Soul video game which like Brave Soldiers, got US English releases digitally in 2015 and was as good as in the anime itself.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to see Saint Seiya is finally getting the love it deserves in English. I can't wait for even more to get dubbed and subbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1