• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Darwin's Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
How do people who read the manga feel about this adaptation, the only one I have talked really hates this adaptation actually.

As a fan of this genre (mostly dangan ronpa) this anime adaptation comes across as schlocky and teen edge lordy to me.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
How do people who read the manga feel about this adaptation, the only one I have talked really hates this adaptation actually.

As a fan of this genre (mostly dangan ronpa) this anime adaptation comes across as schlocky and teen edge lordy to me.
It's a better adaptation than Twin Star Exorcists (not that that's hard). RIP the police presence that was in the manga though with the police searching for Kaname and trying to infiltrate the top management of D-Game; it's rare in manga with underground kill communities for the police to be anything but incompetent jobbers. I distinctly recall being impressed in the manga when Kaname tries to get the police to help him while Banda's trying to kill him and they actually listen to the hysterical high schooler. They still died, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Anyways the art's not as good, but the anime's watchable. Hopefully they nail BLAZING INFORGENOMER OF SMITHING.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Still on the fence about this one; I'm following it for the moment (more because of Shuka than Kaname) but it's not a guaranteed keeper yet. As long as it keeps coming up with interesting twists and allows Kaname to be creative, I'll probably keep watching. It's already a grade above King's Game, after all, and I did put up with that one until the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
This anime wins my award for "season's most likely show for me to binge eventually when I'm really bored and have nothing better to do". Episode 1 was properly ridiculous, but not quiiite gonzo enough for me to stick it out with confidence that the madness will prove entertaining rather than merely dumb. But hey, I still unironically enjoy Mirai Nikki (okay there might be a pinch of irony, but I just love how committed that show is to being edgy and I won't apologize for it), and people never get tired of telling me how dumb I am for that, so we'll see.

I'll be following the weekly reviews with interest! Let me know if it gets so bad that it becomes a must see. Laughing
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So did they just completely remove tons of sub plots and characters from this anime.

Because that is all I keep hearing from the one person I know who read the manga.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shuka is still MIA this week as Rein and Kazuma fight for their lives inside a hotel roaming with plant-controlled zombies.
His name is Kaname.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee Loveridge wrote:
Rein and Kazuma hole up briefly in a hotel room that was supposed to be locked and honestly I don't understand how they got in, it's waved away with a short talk involving a pillow but whatever, moving on.

I'm assuming due to that question that you did catch the part where all of the rooms have auto-lock, because hotel and stuff, but none of them have room keys since they were just teleported in.

Before Rein left the room that she was initially teleported into, she left a pillow from the bed in the doorway to prevent it from closing. The "short talk" was short because, seriously, it's a really simple trick that takes all of a couple of seconds to explain.

Hence her brief remark about prudence being what keeps her alive immediately following that.

In other words, it's not that "the explanation is short therefore it was just waved away," it's that "the explanation was short so you just missed it because you [figuratively] blinked."
Explaining something briefly doesn't mean it's a handwave, it just means they aren't overexplaining it. Kinda like I'm doing right now so I won't be accused of waving this away with a short talk.

Lynzee Loveridge wrote:
Kazuma looks to be in a corner with no energy left to materialize weapons at will when he taps into an alternate version of himself. It's not clear now if blacksmith Kazuma is a manifestation of his Sigil, consciousness, or something else but their discussion is able to reinvigorate Kazuma and teach him that he can visualize tweaks to the weapons he knows before materializing them, finally giving him the firepower to defeat The Florist. Kazuma's a nice guy though, he's not going to kill this dude when they could be bombarded by other high level players at any moment. It's time for him to recruit his enemy and add to his growing clan!

Translation: Kaname doesn't just have an ability similar to Emiya Shirou's, he literally has Shirou's exact power set and is actually somehow Shirou only without his tragic backstory where everyone he ever knew died and he abandoned dying people to save himself and all of that, extreme survivor's guilt, obsession with becoming a superhero, sword fetish, or all of the dreams he has ever had in his entire life literally just being that blacksmith sequence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Then show her stick the pillow in, man. This is multi level hotel with tons of rooms and we never saw what room she came from. Having a split second of dialogue that's supposed to tell you a) she appeared initially in a room instead of anywhere else in the hotel, b) she used a pillow as a door block c) and they've returned to that exact room could all be shown visually by animating a single door.

There also wasn't any dialogue like "follow me back to my room" to tell you where they were going beforehand.

Honestly I said "similar" because it was the first episode and I don't want to be wrong and catch the ire of Fate fans. Like right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XerBlade
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
That thing about Shirou wasn't a correction. I was saying I realized that at that time myself. No ire. My intent just isn't coming across.

By the way, them being in that room the whole time the florist was searching for them systematically was supposed to be a twist. Animating the door or saying where they were going beforehand kinda contradicts that. I mean, it isn't much of a twist, but you gotta take what you can get from this show.

P.S. Would you believe I haven't changed my avatar here since 2006? These days I'm known more as "that guy trying to get everyone in the world to watch Detective Conan" rather than the "that guy who makes literally thousands of YouTube videos about Fate" that I was known as back then (fun fact: I mass deleted all of those Fate videos years ago).
XerBlade
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee Loveridge wrote:
you'll remember that the first two episodes aired during week one

The first episode was double-length, but still only labeled as one episode. The 2nd episode did come a week later, not during week one. You may be getting your wires crossed with a different series this season that did go double length in week one labeled as 2 separate episodes. Id:Invaded did it that way, off the top of my head. Anyway, in other words, the recap did in fact come 5 weeks in.
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:39 am Reply with quote
I think Shuka's face in the thumbnail accurately describes my feelings when reading the manga (I dropped it around the same point in the story), and now sadly this has become true for the anime as well. I thought the adaptation would turn out to be more exciting than the source material because, well, moves and sounds, but my hopes have nothing but been steadily and slowly crashed through each passing episode. I know this isn't a well-known studio and it never had much of a budget to begin with, but still... it's a survival game story, and regardless of the fact whether it's good or bad, it should at least have some sense of excitement and urgency. In a very weird way, it has none.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Utilizing a recap four weeks in (you'll remember that the first two episodes aired during week one) is not a great sign

We should expect more recaps for quite a few shows this season as Coronavirus is impacting the outsourced Chinese animation studios. For example Asteroid in Love is impacted by this and BOFURI may be as well.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I like this show personally. It's leagues ahead of King's game. Don't know why people keep comparing them
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
Its way better than Kings game. Way... WAY better....
Moontei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It was ok though not amazing by any means. Still miles ahead of the similar recent battle royale/death game series. Not as good as The Future Diary though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2