• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical, Kodansha Advanced Media Consolidate Under Kodansha USA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Did they specify if the Vertical imprint is being eliminated entirely now? It sounds like it could go either way at this point. I can't help but be a little bummed if they're phasing out the name since I've always liked what Vertical has done with their works.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping Flying Witch isn't affected in any way, it's easiest my favorite chill manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:08 am Reply with quote
Also in the camp of hoping they won't suddenly change the format of ongoing things like Ajin, creating horribly frankensteined sets (nooooo thank you)

Anyway, I kind of thought it was just a matter of time at this point, Surprised it took this long, tbh. Can't blame Ed for starting yet another manga publisher instead, good on him!
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
Definitely for the best. They didn't seem to cover a specific type of title that Kodansha USA itself didn't cover, and they were honestly terrible with advertising their titles.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
I think fondly of Vertical for their Chip Kidd Tezuka collection (still sad I missed the Buddha hard covers). Never got into Monogotari but those LNs stand out in bookshops, too. They're just great looking books. Kodansha USA has given us some beautiful bindings as well – Akira 35th Anniversary & Sailor Moon Eternal being recent stand-outs – but nothing quite that stylish.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Also in the camp of hoping they won't suddenly change the format of ongoing things like Ajin, creating horribly frankensteined sets (nooooo thank you)

When Kodansha took over DelRay they kept delray esque branding for the continuing series. Negima is probably the easiest of these to find.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Sounds like a big change, but also kinda not?

I just know that Kodansha is pretty weak when it comes to physical releases of shojo, and I hope that changes. And agreeing with the above sentiment that (as a whole), they do not promote/advertise that well.

Definitely seems like they needed some kind of restructuring, but I wonder if this well help?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1