• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Alita: Battle Angel Fans Fly Airplane Banner Over Oscars Requesting Sequel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
If this is real and not some stunt then that some impressive dedication. This story grabs headlines, gets in the news, calculates enough that guys upstairs hear about it, then they put it in consideration, I believe that's the farthest this will end up going tho.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Anne with an E fans launched crowdfunding campaigns to get billboards in major cities demanding more seasons.

They will meet with a similar response. Silence.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
"...fans of the live-action Alita: Battle Angel film hired a plane with a banner reading #AlitaSequel and #AlitaArmy..."

It reminds me of the fans of Tenchi Muyo anime back in the 90s: utterly baffling that such a show could garner so much enthusiasm. But, then again, equally simplistic anime and live-action shows like Transformers also have a large following.

Takes all kinds!
RealMTL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Still hoping for the best. I appreciate these guys dedication.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Surely it must have been at a certain distance from being directly overhead of the Oscars as I thought that you can't fly too close to the Dolby Theater while the Oscars are being held as it's restricted airspace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... like Disney's actually gonna listen. Laughing
Alita didn't make $$$ for them. They've got other priorities.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The remaining money gathered by the campaign will go to Open Bionics, a company which develops open source 3D printed prosthetic limbs for amputees. The campaign has raised just over US$9,000 and will remain open until February 19.

This is real nice! Spending almost 2k on a stunt that won't get you anywhere because execs don't give a shit is a lot less silly when contrasted to this
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
That banner was sooo weak lmao, but no Alita 2 will never see the light of day. It is what it is, I just want a full fledged anime series remake.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
At least the Oscars finally broke thru the subtitle barrier! Laughing

(But that's why Japan's entry Weathering With You wouldn't had stood a chance even if it was nominated.)
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought the movie was just 'okay' myself. Compared to other Hollywood anime adaptions that's a pretty glowing statement obviously, but at the same time I don't really understand the dedication some fans have towards it. Seems like a weird hill to die on to me.

enurtsol wrote:
At least the Oscars finally broke thru the subtitle barrier! Laughing

(But that's why Japan's entry Weathering With You wouldn't had stood a chance even if it was nominated.)

They'd need to break the animation barrier first. Razz I think subtitles are easier for Oscar voters to consume than animation is.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Considering the movie ends with a cliffhanger, it's understandable that the big fans really want a continuation.

While a big budgeted affair might be hard, Disney+ changes the equation, and a live action series continuation at a more modest budget would get long term subscribers.

The manga has multiple seasons worth of content to adapt and unlike the movie they don't have to cram things into 2 hours.
ThugsBunny3840

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Cool that Open Bionics is getting support, but personally, the plane stunt feels like a waste of money. The movie likely barely broke even, so I feel Disney wanting to make another one is very unlikely.
Vir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
An anime re-boot might be a good idea actually. The manga's author was reportedly not entirely happy with how the OVA turned out. So that might be one direction to take things if a new movie isn't in the cards.
Quote:
over US$9,000

Come on, that can't have been accidental? Vegeta?

James Cameron is busy with Avatar, but I think Robert Rodriguez was a good fit for the project.
Tenchi wrote:
I thought that you can't fly too close to the Dolby Theater while the Oscars are being held as it's restricted airspace.

Apparently there were no special airspace restrictions that day. They just needed to stay the required height above the buildings as any general aviation aircraft.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm still surprised the movie hyped up later manga characters and teased a sequel as much as it did. It should've let the Yugo arc stand on its own.

I just hope at least some of that "Alita Army" went and bought the manga.

...seeing the Barjack arc on the big screen would be dope though...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
The first Alita movie here is important for Hollywood. Not only is it the final movie produced and/or released by 20th Century Fox prior to Disney buying them out, it was also the final film for the Fox movie empire as we knew them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2