• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Universal Studios Japan, One Piece Tokyo Tower, Tokyo Disneyland, DisneySea Close Until Mid-Ma

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:14 am Reply with quote
hurting for all the workers with the lost wages from all of this.

still feels extreme and pointless
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for all the people that have planned a trip for months and then this happens :/ Then again, better safe than sorry, I guess.

Яeverse wrote:
still feels extreme and pointless

Could you maybe elaborate on that? I don't see how this is pointless (a little extreme perhaps).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I am not saying it is pointless, because how much or not, can be debated until the end of the world; and both sides would probably be right.

The virus is out there, all over the world. This genie is not going back in the bottle.

At most these closures will slow the spread of the virus in the short term in Japan. It is hard to believe it can be contained, what with CNN showing red all over the globe with their displays.

The question is going to be which is more deadlier, the Flu or the Corona virus. The precautions for not getting the Corona virus, appears to be the same for not getting the Flu.

Wash your hands regularly, don't rub your eyes or your face with your hands, and stay away from people who are obviously sick. This only increases your odds a bit for not getting it, but still better than nothing.

It is the children in school, and their parents who will be in the most danger of getting infected. Schools are like petri dishes growing bacteria. Kids are always bringing back illnesses from school to home to infect their other family members. My family already had a cold domino chain through the house from our grandson earlier this year.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Feel really bad for Japan. They spent so much money in preparation for the Olympics but they might not get anything in return. Not surprised they're treating this a lot more seriously than some other countries.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The virus is out there, all over the world. This genie is not going back in the bottle.

If the countries of the world had been smart and not put profit before public safety, all international travel from countries where there were cases would have been shut off from the go. This should have been done when the first cases were being diagnosed in China in mid-December. China should have closed its borders and prevented both inbound and outbound flights. Instead, the CDC and our governments failed us because no one wanted to shut down international travel during the holiday season in both western countries and the Lunar New Year in late January. As someone who is well aware of the screening process for those arriving in the US, it's an absolute farce and I have no hope that, if it is as virulent as estimated (or mutates into something that is), the US isn't going to suffer a lot of casualties. All research coming out is showing that those who have compromised immune systems, particularly those who heavily smoke, are going to get hit very hard.

I feel bad for Japan and those planning on traveling there who can't see certain tourist sites, but their government appears to be a lot smarter when it comes to infectious disease prevention, than at least that of the US. Why haven't schools been shut down in at least California when there are now 2 'community spread' cases?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:06 am Reply with quote
While I do think some of the precautions in Japan are a bit extreme surely this is more dangerous than the Flu. I mean the Flu can certainly be dangerous but we at least have a vaccine than can usually prevent most strains of the Flu. There is nothing developed for the Corona Virus yet. And at least drug developers are hinting in the US that when one is developed it may not even be affordable.

How much is this going to spread than it already has? And even more scary will the virus mutate?

Just wash your hands a lot I guess.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Kami-koto wrote:
Feel really bad for Japan. They spent so much money in preparation for the Olympics but they might not get anything in return. Not surprised they're treating this a lot more seriously than some other countries.

......Are you new to the Olympics? hosting cities get little in the short term from hosting the event but in the long term they gain NOTHING but maybe a useless arena that might've been built specifically for the event that winds up going unused along with millions of dollars in losses.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/2/23/17008910/2018-winter-olympics-host-stadiums-cost-pyeongchang

Cutiebunny wrote:
Instead, the CDC

In the interest of fairness the CDC along with various american interests aren't to blame for this apparently when you have to defer to an incompetent and self serving government that loves to slash, divert, or not invest funds into certain agencies and the like the serve public interests not surprisingly enough those institutions can't combat or address a viral outbreak effectively.

Cutiebunny wrote:

and our governments failed us because no one wanted to shut down international travel during the holiday season in both western countries and the Lunar New Year in late January.

Realistically speaking shutting down international travel hubs wouldn't happen unless the outbreak was extremely deadly which it hasn't reached that level yet thankfully.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The anime industry is going to definitely feel this one. A lot of profit comes from live-events and with all those being cancelled, I expect to see a dip in the industry this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1