• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sol Levante 4K Netflix Anime Debuts on March 23

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify, you NEED the "Premium Plan" to even watch 4k content Netflix. Netflix also requires 25Mbps connection and HEVC decoding on your device if you want a buffer-free experience On that note, I assume this will also be the first official HEVC anime.

edit: can't reply to the post below me but the gains are NOT negiible. Most people can see the difference between 720p and 1080p if shown images side-by-side or flipped on a screen at a proper viewing distance. 720p is MUCH more blurry. The main issues with 1080p anime right now (along with the fact that most is not native) is that the bitrate streaming sites have for it is generally far too low for the resolution.

Last edited by Kougeru on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
raiden18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, but aren't the gains from 4K anime negligible? I don't have a trained eye for video quality, but I can't tell the difference between anime at 720p vs 1080p.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure what impressed me more that they’re developing a 4K anime or that Netflix is streaming a “Netflix Original” anime that isn’t CGI.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
raiden18 wrote:
I'm curious, but aren't the gains from 4K anime negligible? I don't have a trained eye for video quality, but I can't tell the difference between anime at 720p vs 1080p.

It's a relationship of viweing distance and screensize.
Currently it does not matter because most anime is produced in 960p anyway, as you said sometimes the difference between 720p and 1080 is not noticeable.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to necro this, but this anime is only 4 minutes long, with 70 seconds of it as credits? Why are they making such a big deal about a 3 minute video?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Sorry to necro this, but this anime is only 4 minutes long, with 70 seconds of it as credits? Why are they making such a big deal about a 3 minute video?

This is why. This was Netflix directly experimenting with anime production of 4K from the ground up, as part of a long term goal to upend the production committee system.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1