• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release New English-dubbed Episode of My Hero Academia Anime on Sunday

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
A small bit of good news, but a very welcome one. Very Happy
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
This month went by fast. Wow.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:59 am Reply with quote
That's great that they got something working for dub fans. I wonder how it will turn out considering most VAs don't have a proper recording studio (even with the kit they sent them) and if they plan to re-dub it once they can get people in a proper studio again?
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:28 am Reply with quote
Well, now they have I guess?

They basically adopted the fandub method, just a little more proffessionally.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not even watching MHA but this news has made me really happy Very Happy
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
These voice actors seriously deserve a raise or something.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
I'd go with the engineers on this one, as they some how managed to coordinate recording sessions from over 30 different locations with different sound quality
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
Their efforts are commendable, but I am ok if they decide to stop all dubbing work for 3 or more months. I get the economic implications of stopping dubbing for that long, but these are not normal circumstances.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
This is yet another reason why Funimation continues to get my money unlike with Crunchyroll. They may not always be saints but they make a very honest and earnest effort towards most of their dubs.

Last edited by Lord Vaultman on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Their efforts are commendable, but I am ok if they decide to stop all dubbing work for 3 or more months. I get the economic implications of stopping dubbing for that long, but these are not normal circumstances.

In regards to newer series, sure. But they do have a TV deal in place with MHA (Toonami is only one episode behind the dub now) and only a few episodes left, so I can see that being a driving force to do what they can to finish it.

Even if some of the audio is lower quality than usual, they can always go back and do redubbing for the home release once the studio equipment is available again. It wouldn't be the first time they've done that with a simuldub.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:

In regards to newer series, sure. But they do have a TV deal in place with MHA (Toonami is only one episode behind the dub now) and only a few episodes left, so I can see that being a driving force to do what they can to finish it.

Yeah, they're mostly doing this to finish up the Toonami run but I doubt they'll do this for most other shows this season. But I do wonder if they'll do it for Black Clover?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
veemonjosh wrote:

Yeah, they're mostly doing this to finish up the Toonami run but I doubt they'll do this for most other shows this season. But I do wonder if they'll do it for Black Clover?

From what my understanding is Black Clover is still roughly a dozen broadcast dub episodes behind on toonami to where funimation got to on their streaming service. They have time to weather the storm still.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
ADR director for Oshibudo mentioned in a few recent tweets that he's finished recording two characters so they do seem to be working on more than MHA. Guessing we might get the last 3 all at once
Gmunga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
It’s a really impressive feat by all involved. You have to give it to all of the team from the engineers to the voice actors.

I can only imagine how stressful it would have been to get this all sorted.

It’s also pretty good for Funimation because it should help people justify keeping their subscriptions which will allow them to keep paying their staff, which is well deserved after pulling this off.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
This is yet another reason why Funimation continues to get my money unlike with Crunchyroll. They may not always be saints but they make a very honest and earnest effort towards most of their dubs.

Doesn't Crunchyroll do the same for their versions of simuldubs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2