• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: REVIEW: Dorohedoro

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Dorohedoro is a living proof that any manga can be adapted. No other manga has art as unique as Dorohedoro and yet MAPPA was able to capture its feel. Nice work.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Man i hope this gets a second season, i feel like Netflix jail has killed the momentum of a lot of great anime. Next to Eizouken, this was my favorite show of the winter. Also has my favorite opening so far this year.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm only a few episodes in, and it just occurred to me that he has no reason to stick sorcerers' heads in his mouth to find out if they're the ones, as spells end when you kill the caster and he's killing the ones who aren't the one anyway.

Also, there's something weird about the female characters' designs. Their faces look like male designs, particularly '80's older teen boy designs. The female lead's face could blend in with Kaneda's gang in Akira.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The women's character designs aren't "weird," primarily the show stars three female characters: Nikaido, Noi, and Ebisu. Noi and Nikaido are strong physically and they have the proportions to show it. Ebisu is smaller and lankier with a more traditional anime character design but she's usually wearing a skull mask so...

It's worth pointing out that the creator of Dorohedoro is a woman and while I wouldn't say the show isn't ever sexy, it doesn't resort to a lot of the same fanservice tropes or extended sexually-charged humor that we often see. That's probably going to seem off for viewers who are used to expecting it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
I'm only a few episodes in, and it just occurred to me that he has no reason to stick sorcerers' heads in his mouth to find out if they're the ones, as spells end when you kill the caster and he's killing the ones who aren't the one anyway.

Also, there's something weird about the female characters' designs. Their faces look like male designs, particularly '80's older teen boy designs. The female lead's face could blend in with Kaneda's gang in Akira.

I think, since he also has amnesia, once he finds the sorcerer he also wants information about his past.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Man i hope this gets a second season, i feel like Netflix jail has killed the momentum of a lot of great anime. Next to Eizouken, this was my favorite show of the winter. Also has my favorite opening so far this year.
I always wonder how true this actually is though since it seems like the most popular shows on Crunchyroll are the same shonen shows people always watch and simulcasts barely make a blip on their charts. Eiozouken, as an example, people seemed to have barely watched it even though it got a lot of high critical praise. On the other hand, people still seem to be talking about Beastars even months later. I tried to get into Dorohedoro but it seemed a little too grotesque for me but I might give it another shot because of all the high praise I've heard about it.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It's not really comparable to Berserk 2016 as that was 90%. This seems to be closer to around 30%
I'm a fan of the Manga, so at first I was unsure how it would adapt to animation, but so far it seems good.
Scalfin wrote:
Yes they have that smudge on the nose and eyes where the top and bottom are unconnected. It reminds me of Tank Police.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It becomes clear at the series' halfway point that the world of magic is literally Hell itself

I never realized this, nor did I realize the now-obvious Alice references. Still, this is my favorite anime of 2020 so far. Like other folks, I realllllllly hope we get more of this!
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The show was competent and the 3D was fine (I wouldn't say it looked good but it didn't look bad either like most 3D show). But I just never really got into it even after watching 2/3 of it. Not quite sure why but I think it's mostly because I didn't care about any of the characters. They were too goofy to take seriously as peoples (all of them being amoral mass murdered) and not goofy enough to just enjoy their wild antics. The world was cool, but mostly ill defined so it didn't feel like you could understand how it worked, anything would just boil down to "because magic" and so nothing felt special because everything was special. Yeah of course spoiler[the dead can come back as zombie], why couldn't they?
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Quote:
It becomes clear at the series' halfway point that the world of magic is literally Hell itself

I never realized this, nor did I realize the now-obvious Alice references. Still, this is my favorite anime of 2020 so far. Like other folks, I realllllllly hope we get more of this!

The reviewer is mistaken, it is actually made clear during En's flashback (and a few other times) hell is actually a seperate, third place.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Personally, I preferred the endings over the openings. I really wish the official translations would subtitle the opening/ending song lyrics just to understand what they're talking about...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I've only saw the first episode and found it very interesting and I was impressed with the animation, most of it was in 3D with some 2D elements but the look of the show is very cool, it reminded me of AKIRA
However, I don't know if I should watch it now or wait until later since the show isn't available in my language due to the pandemic.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
This show put me in the mood for gyoza.

I got through it remarkably quickly. A lot happening but it went really fast and was consistently engaging despite the weirdness.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh right this is a good reminder to start watching this show. Interesting animation, unique wacky characters & setting, definitely a must watch.

Plus Meim up there stated his dislike of the show which means it must be awesome.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Quote:

The reviewer is mistaken, it is actually made clear during En's flashback (and a few other times) hell is actually a seperate, third place.

Yeah, Hell is like, some layers deeper area that can be accessed a few ways (including through a demon's face but anyway) but the sorcerer's appear to be living directly above it and have regular contact with its denizens and much of the architecture is meant to reflect the symbiotic (or parasitic?) relationship between the two. For instance, all the upside-down crosses and the regular interactions with Devils.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2